73' B3 340 Duster pro touring build

-
Did a little more test fitting on the front bumper, it's hard to tell in the pictures but its drawn back an extra 1" over factory and is starting to fit the fender pockets better. I've got some more shaping to do to make it fit correctly, Tom (the painter) said he will work his "Magic" on it and it will flow right into the fenders flawlessly. I also decided to add another modification before it gets painted. It is a flush mount Billet battery lug terminal.... after lots of eyeballing it in several locations I decided to mount it in a unique location. Don't worry we took precautions to keep the water out of the cab, The cable routing was mocked up also to make sure everything will clear everything and stay tucked out of the way. It also is probally going to get powder coated Matte black so it will be suttle and not stand out like in the picture... enjoy

Attachments

• duster 026.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 821
  • duster 031.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 813
  • duster 030.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 793
  • duster 023.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 803
  • duster 021.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 809
  • duster 029.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 789
  • duster 028.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 813
  • duster 027.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 811
Okay, somebody stop me....I can't leave the front Bumper alone, I decided to try to see if it looked better by adding some rings to the lights and give it some depth. If I decide to keep them I will drill holes in the bumper and weld the rings to the bumper from the backside hiding all the welds for a smooth and stamped look once complete. I also started working on a permanently mounted but retractable tow hook, it will require a small notch in the bottom edge of the bumper face and will be 90% hidden unless needed....Yes, I will be powdercoating it Red. It's made out of .500" 7075 aluminum and is 3" wide with two 3/8" shouldered bolts that will ride in the slots and act as guides. I might be adding a quick release pin to secure it in the hidded position.

Attachments

• duster 023.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 757
  • duster 028.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 747
  • duster 030.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 762
  • duster 021.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 736
  • duster 020.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 742
  • duster 019.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 785
  • duster 036.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 741
The light rings look great. Have you considered making them look like your hood pins?

You should put a small electric ram on the tow loop so you can activate it in the car. Then you can option it to drop out from behind the bumper or from between the grill and bumper.

The light rings look great. Have you considered making them look like your hood pins?

This is actually my second design, the first was billet aluminum and had 8 cap bolts recessed into it. The problem was it was too thick (1/2") and didn't flow with the bumper..... Remember I like suttle modifications that make you question if it came that way.

ahhh gotcha! 1/2" Thick would be to much. Like some kinda 4x4 truck parts.

You should put a small electric ram on the tow loop so you can activate it in the car. Then you can option it to drop out from behind the bumper or from between the grill and bumper.
Interesting idea.... but I think thats something that Andrew (Blue Missle) would be better at with his actuators, motors and high tech gizmo's :headbang:

I'm not going to stop you but I am sending 2 gallons of rum to distract you !

I can use that when I start making the billet Valve Covers....also I have a call in to the Upholstery lady to see how much to redo the new seats in Red.

Looking good man, its been a while since I've been on, but I love the way you're going with it.

Another test fit today...I got the driving light rings tacked in place (need to gring the weld still) and got my retractable tow hook completed. I like the way the bumper tucks into the valance, I still have some minor work to do on the ends to get them fitting tighter into the fender gap. I post pics of that once that's complete. When the tow is retracted it hardly noticable. I also got a nice surprise from UPS....my complete tinted glass kit for the Duster.

Attachments

• duster 016.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 672
  • duster 015.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 662
  • duster 014.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 687
  • duster 013.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 659
  • duster 010.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 682
  • duster 009.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 660
  • duster 017.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 694
  • dart 017.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 681
Another test fit today...I got the driving light rings tacked in place (need to gring the weld still) and got my retractable tow hook completed. I like the way the bumper tucks into the valance, I still have some minor work to do on the ends to get them fitting tighter into the fender gap. I post pics of that once that's complete. When the tow is retracted it hardly noticable. I also got a nice surprise from UPS....my complete tinted glass kit for the Duster.

Looking good Ross...........

Been following your project for awhile now,but are you chroming the front bumper after all the mods?Nice work...waiting for some color..:glasses7:

Ross,
I love the thinking out of the box, great looking work, keep making it yours.
Andrew
By the way COOL dolly!

Been following your project for awhile now,but are you chroming the front bumper after all the mods?Nice work...waiting for some color..:glasses7:

I wasn't sure a few if I was going to chrome it or paint them but after going to Mecum in May and saw some awesome cars with painted bumpers I was sold on painting them..I plan on a two tone paint scheme to visually reduce the sive and give defination to the shape.

Ross,
I love the thinking out of the box, great looking work, keep making it yours.
Andrew
By the way COOL dolly!

I like this tow hook idea better than the original designed insert, it will hopefully never be needed so it will be in the retracted position most of the time. Also it is basically there cause I thought it would be cool looking.
I can't wait to make it even more unique once I start with the engine bling. Theres gonna be lot's of Billet.

Finally got the 1 piece Timing cover and motor mount cut out, I still need to recess the motor mounts into the timing cover instead of sitting on top like in the pictures. The purpose of the ears is to make the Edelbrock RPM heads even with the block ( I hate the fact that the heads overhang the block roughly 7/8"). I still need some minor machining on the bushed motor mounts since the Saginaw TC II steering pump and alternator will mount to them. This started with a 100lb piece of 6061 T-6 Aluminum. Once I get to mock this up to the block all will become clear as Mud ...I guess you could say that this would be considered pushing the envelope, I could have just bought a front engine plate and saved lots of time and money but I want to be unique here.

Attachments

• duster 002.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 645
  • duster 013.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 619
  • duster 012.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 634
  • duster 011.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 627
  • duster 010.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 663
  • duster 008.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 636
  • duster 007.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 624
  • duster 004.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 633
  • duster 003.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 655
I bought this one as a sample to copy, but decided to change the overall design and add alot of thickness since it will be used as motor mounts also. I'm gonna sell this one now that it's served it's purpose.

Attachments

• duster 018.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 641
  • duster 017.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 623
  • duster 016.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 618
  • duster 005.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 658
  • duster 019.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 654
Okay here's a mock up of the front Timing cover and motor mount combo, I still have some material removal and machining to do to make all the angles correct and flush mount the bushed mounts to the timing cover but you can see in the mock up how much room I will gain for my Power rack and pinion clearance once the "modified" factory mount and tabs are gone. Once I get all the machining done I'll make the mounting tabs that will bolt the mounting ears to the HemiDenny K.

Attachments

• duster 017.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 639
  • duster 016.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 614
  • duster 012.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 605
  • duster 009.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 603
  • duster 007.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 580
  • duster 002.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 593
  • duster 001.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 626
  • duster 019.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 622
Like a "Mad Scientist" with a CNC machine... Looks great Ross!
My vote is for chroming the front bumper, if you are keeping score. -Don

Like a "Mad Scientist" with a CNC machine... Looks great Ross!
My vote is for chroming the front bumper, if you are keeping score. -Don

Thanks Don.....If I plan on parking next to the Hemi Boys I figured I need something unique so my little ol' small block gets noticed. Thanks for your vote...for chrome.

.....If I plan on parking next to the Hemi Boys.....
1. I'd better keep my money in my shoe

2. I don't want to forget to get my shots

3. I musn't mention those "Wal-Mart" photos

4. I shouldn't offer to make them all tow hooks

5. I'd better bring them all the rum they can handle

1. I'd better keep my money in my shoe

2. I don't want to forget to get my shots

3. I musn't mention those "Wal-Mart" photos

4. I shouldn't offer to make them all tow hooks

5. I'd better bring them all the rum they can handle

I think I actually have those covered....so I should be good.

1. I'm always broke so there is no money to keep in my sneaker

2. The Military makes sure this is covered and them some

3. I don't do anything Wal-Mart

4. I have an extra tow hook that I won't be using....just in case

5. I Always come well stocked

\\:D/\\:D/\\:D/\\:D/\\:D/\\:D/\\:D/\\:D/\\:D/\\:D/

-
Back