73 Dart How to identify a BB V8 K conversion?

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,
I bought 2 Darts a few weeks back. One is a 73 Dart Sport that has no engine. I am told that At some time in the 90s, the prior owner installed a 440. It has a spool type 73-76 V8 K member and the pedestal mounts are modified. There are 4 holes in the RH fender apron for spark plug access too. It has exhaust pipes that come up to what had to be exhaust manifolds. The car is an H code 340 model so I'd guess that I'd be better off with a 340 or a 360 in the car since my intention is to sell it. I'll probably pull the K member but I'd like to know what is the common modification that is done to these K members to allow a 383-400-440 to bolt in using the spool mounts. I recall reading about the DC K member that was offered by Dodge and Plymouth dealers and how enthusiasts used them as a pattern to modify old k members.
Any specific measurements would be helpful. Thanks, Greg

The common mod fits the Schumacher conversion mounts, and involves drilling a hold below the stock bolt saddle in the pedestal. Depending on the application, one or both sides could be modified, and sometimes the original ears are cut off. Go to the Schumacher Creative Services site (www.engine-swaps.com) and you can view or download instructions for each swap, and there is a K-Member identification page in the "Tech" section.

IIRC the DC K-Member required the use of stock (no longer available) engine mounts and actually resulted in the engine sitting one inch higher than it should, resulting in a number of fitment issues.

Search here on FABO under member Jim Lusk. He has a couple of videos that show how to modify and gives some good info.

X2...he's posted his K member mod video more than once...

or you can search on youtube "jim lusk k member"...two part video.

Thanks everyone. The Dart K member looks like the mounts have been cut and moved back. Is it fair to say that the height of the mounts stays essentially the same as they are moved rearward or should they be cut down some? SC68Cuda wrote that the DC unit located the engine about 1" too tall.
I'm going to pull this K member and save it. I may want to put a 440 in my 67 Dart someday.

The DC unit does NOT put the engine too high. I can tell you if it is a home built or factory unit with closeup pics of the saddles or if I see it in person.

-
Back