73 Dart Swinger "Tetanus"

-
vega73dart
Sorry it took so long to respond. I responded to the thread, Not (as I should have) directly to you. Sorry... Buzz me, if you need more info.

G50
Thank you for the reply well if you can what was the axle housing diameter I'm gathering that the explorer is bigger than the mustang axle housing. What volor did you decide?

Thank you for the reply well if you can what was the axle housing diameter I'm gathering that the explorer is bigger than the mustang axle housing. What volor did you decide?
3" tubing. Also, you'll have to upgrade to a 3" U-bolt.
20190802_204734.jpg

Black Cherry!
Turned out OK...

View attachment 1715372789
Ok now one of my final questions i can't seem to wrap my head around; I cut the axle housing wont the axle stick out beyond the housing? For the Explorer you get 2 short axles yes but for the 28 spline I can only find them as short as 29.5 according to imaginary calculations thats 2 inches in both sides too long? 4 inches all together and will most likely touch the fender with my current wheels...

Amd the paint looks great I can imagine at the right lifhting it will really bring out the red. And those are halo led lights?
Im dying to pull her out into the sunlight. Tomorrow, I'll be done with polish and start wet sanding the hood and scoops. I guess by Sunday (hopefully) I can lay the scoops out in the driveway and view them in the sun. Best I can do, for now :)
As for your axle dillema, yes you're gana have to buy, find, scrounge, trade for or steal shorter axles. I called Mosier and they were at my door in a week. Nice thing about Mosier is they're their standard mill of axle and guaranteed stronger than any stock axle. Im not busting over 500hp but for $300, there's NO worries about the 8.8! It's SOLID and I have hear disk brakes, fully rebuilt for less than $500 installed :)

Hey vega73dart! How far along are you on your Dart? What's the plan?
(Auto correct tried "rear dick brakes". Glad I caught that) (nobody here wants that)!

Hey vega73dart! How far along are you on your Dart? What's the plan?
(Auto correct tried "rear dick brakes". Glad I caught that) (nobody here wants that)!
Frame rails are going in sometime when i can get over to my car. Then soon after cut a hole for the transmission then wiring and I'm done. Theres a ton of little things along the way but thats where I am at. I already own this 8.8 now cause ive started and nearly finished the turbo manifold for one of my customers. 300 does not sound bad for new axles it already is limited slip and has 327 gears.

Frame rails are going in sometime when i can get over to my car. Then soon after cut a hole for the transmission then wiring and I'm done. Theres a ton of little things along the way but thats where I am at. I already own this 8.8 now cause ive started and nearly finished the turbo manifold for one of my customers. 300 does not sound bad for new axles it already is limited slip and has 327 gears.
Perfect-O!
Mosier... Nice peeps. VERY helpful!

Aw geez. I don't remember the dia. but they're regular old 28 spline. Slipped right into the old housing. An inch shorter because it would increase my offset and expose a little more inside rim on the Torque Thrust wheels that Im about to buy.

Ok so I weld in the framee connectors this week end let me tell you I cant be more happy to cut a hole and fit the trans up afterwards I am grateful for the wisdom of this site. And will soon own a 72 dart swinger as well. Way more complete and less damaged than mine but I do have a Michigan car and we will see I believe the 72 came from Washington.. Anyway back to my trans crossmember I have to use some kimd of poly bushings? I am using the tti polybushing motormounts amd i remember reading that it will put too much stress to to the trans housing? Going to open up a couple threads and refresh myself

You will be fine with poly bushings. I ran poly engine and trans mounts for many years.

Same, with the poly. I got the stock trans mount with my junkyard (Ram) trans. Mounted everything up and built my Xmember from there. Hooking up to my frame connectors is SO reassuring too!
Keep up the Mopar Faith! You can do it!

Ok so I weld in the framee connectors this week end let me tell you I cant be more happy to cut a hole and fit the trans up afterwards I am grateful for the wisdom of this site. And will soon own a 72 dart swinger as well. Way more complete and less damaged than mine but I do have a Michigan car and we will see I believe the 72 came from Washington.. Anyway back to my trans crossmember I have to use some kimd of poly bushings? I am using the tti polybushing motormounts amd i remember reading that it will put too much stress to to the trans housing? Going to open up a couple threads and refresh myself
vega73 dart.
How's your Mopar looking?
G50

I don't know if you read my other post rights mentioned that my workshop was broken into and most of my tools and equipment was cleared out but I have my short block now it's all nice and brand new everything's ready to bolt up minus a few screws that have been misplaced but I don't really have much tools I'd like to make a final push at the end of this year and get a Drive shaft made at least have it running and in a week or so I should be ordering swap Specialties harness

I don't know if you read my other post rights mentioned that my workshop was broken into and most of my tools and equipment was cleared out but I have my short block now it's all nice and brand new everything's ready to bolt up minus a few screws that have been misplaced but I don't really have much tools I'd like to make a final push at the end of this year and get a Drive shaft made at least have it running and in a week or so I should be ordering swap Specialties harness
CRAP! Sorry about the break-in and steal. Damn hoodlums :-(
I've burned off a lot of time, hitting the wall but not even giving up. Hooked up with Blake at DIYHEMI and bought his Quick Harness (it couples with a stock harness and ECU). He worked with me quite well and we got her fired up! Still having gas pedal issues tho. I need to drive this monster outside and wash off the rest of my polishing compound!
Glad you're still on it and sorry about the punks.
Stick To The Plan!

G50

Definitely going to stick to the plan fighting to get this done I just bought a new tool set and cart for $150 at Lowe's it was sold out throughout most of southern California I'm lucky to have got one how to get my milodon oil pickup replaced because upon inspection before installation it had a dent the new one just came in today if I purchase a torque wrench I'll be ready to finish up this engine block both of the transmission and all the accessories throw it in the dark I have no Polishing Compound no paint I'm still running on a primer paint job still somebody work needs to be done especially on the inside on the roof but I need the car driving so I can bring it to my house and not have to drive 35 miles to work on it every weekend my dad lets me keep it in his property my landlord is less of a Visionary when it comes to projects I'll be looking into the website at DIY Hemi I don't remember seeing a quick connect harness last time I was there I was just about to purchase a swap specialty harness with computer for about $1,500 I think your gas pedal problem might be related to you might need to switch up to an 05 gas pedal my 2003 gas pedal has a throttle cable and a positioning sensor on the pedal so it's all technically electronic the throttle cable goes to a little unit that is computerized and moves the throttle plate itself

Man! That sucks (for the reason of buying all new tools)!
AND.... I really hate to 1-up you but I had my boy mechanic over last weekend and we figgered out the gas pedal issue. ***** fired right up and worked like the monster she is too!
You HAVE TO check out Blake at DIYHEMI!!! In this pic, his Quick Harness is mounted and labeled on the left side of my firewall. DIYHEMI... I saved over $1500 bucks with Blake!!! Do it, man! Do it!

20191122_160144.jpg

Man! That sucks (for the reason of buying all new tools)!
AND.... I really hate to 1-up you but I had my boy mechanic over last weekend and we figgered out the gas pedal issue. ***** fired right up and worked like the monster she is too!
You HAVE TO check out Blake at DIYHEMI!!! In this pic, his Quick Harness is mounted and labeled on the left side of my firewall. DIYHEMI... I saved over $1500 bucks with Blake!!! Do it, man! Do it!

View attachment 1715427036
Honestly that's great to hear I'm very happy for you I'm working right now on Final assembly of the engine I emailed Blake at DIY Hemi hopefully get the parts I need soon for the wiring otherwise enjoy the holiday and all update next weekend should have everything in and looking for a shop to get a driveshaft made also have to Fab the whole that I cut for the transmission the Bodywork is the least of my concerns

She runs pretty bad and rides terrible :)
I don't know wtf I was thinking when I rebuilt the PS gearbox. Put the pitman shaft seal in backwards and never noticed til run time. You know what it's like (being 56 yo) to get one of those out on jack stands?! The alignment wasn't even close. Once I got her of a better level ground, I could stand up some front wheels and she's a lot closer to aligned. I need to get a tune on this monster. Anyone got any suggestions? I hear HP Tuner is where it's at.

20191126_172216.jpg

Time to start getting the little "bugs" out of the car now. Front calipers weren't releasing. after doing some checking around all of my work and adjusting the push rod, I found out that my pedal wasn't fully returning up. 1 dumb spring and it's fixed. Who's dumb here? :) I guess the only bad part was that I was on hold with Summit, considering another booster or a return, when I discovered the "fix". How embarrassing!
Time to work on O2 Sensors...

-
Back