74 HEMI Dart Sport

-
alum. hemi ! kick a$$, what did it do on the dyno ?------jealous !
nearly 810 at 6500. Torque was 735 at 5300 but making tons everywhere

IMG_5894.JPG

what do you have for camshaft and compression?
Not sure on cam, pretty wild I think. It's an 11:1 compression, 91 octane engine. Built by HEMI guru Tim Banning of FHO. The engine is still in his shop in Ontario, I'm in BC. It's getting shipped this week as I just paid him. I'll have all info, cam card etc when engine is in my hands.

Your dyno numbers are killer....maybe a little wild for my ol' coffee getter....but I would love to have them ponies.

outstanding!

I could look at those engine pics all day long!
It looks almost too good to install in a car...........
How are you mounting it in the car, and plans for cooling it etc.?

I could look at those engine pics all day long!
It looks almost too good to install in a car...........
How are you mounting it in the car, and plans for cooling it etc.?
I cant get enough either:popcorn:. what will be the deciding factor will be header clearance. I have a set of those hooker 2.25" tube headers which I have heard usually need to be modded substantially. Back when I drove this car in '88 I mounted the 440 with elephant ears. Everyone thought I was nuts for a street car. I remember it being not bad at all, 440 was a bit lopey and only really felt at idle. So I wont rule out the solid mount route. The Keith Black block has the machined surface to utilize stock engine mounts. I may go with an available isolater then fab up my own lugs onto the shaved K member. If header clearance is sketchy tight I will just go solid off same location. Havent thought much about cooling but there are a lot of different aluminum radiator options out there now.

I cant get enough either:popcorn:. what will be the deciding factor will be header clearance. I have a set of those hooker 2.25" tube headers which I have heard usually need to be modded substantially. Back when I drove this car in '88 I mounted the 440 with elephant ears. Everyone thought I was nuts for a street car. I remember it being not bad at all, 440 was a bit lopey and only really felt at idle. So I wont rule out the solid mount route. The Keith Black block has the machined surface to utilize stock engine mounts. I may go with an available isolater then fab up my own lugs onto the shaved K member. If header clearance is sketchy tight I will just go solid off same location. Havent thought much about cooling but there are a lot of different aluminum radiator options out there now.
I had hughs engines "race" balance my 505" wedge rotating assem. when I bought it, modified a used motor plate I bought on here, it doesn`t vibrate or shake at al, w/ a .628 lift solid roller in it. O f course it not as stout as urs ! MOTOR PLATES ARE KICK *** IN MY OPINION!

Yes they are. I was going to do again but not fer this one anymore. They block the view of the beautiful Keith Black block too much...

I'm still interested in your cam mfg /specs.

I'm still considering a bump up....maybe something between my 292 /510 lift hydraulic with 10.5 compression.....and your "wild thing"

I'm still interested in your cam mfg /specs.

I'm still considering a bump up....maybe something between my 292 /510 lift hydraulic with 10.5 compression.....and your "wild thing"
An old isky 590 is a big step up from that one !

I dont have the exact cam specs yet. We are just waiting on some ancillary parts to come in the getting shipped to me. At that time I will have cam card in hand. I do know that it is Just shy of .700" lift. This is a pump gas machine so it will be on the wild side as compression is 11:1.

I dont have the exact cam specs yet. We are just waiting on some ancillary parts to come in the getting shipped to me. At that time I will have cam card in hand. I do know that it is Just shy of .700" lift. This is a pump gas machine so it will be on the wild side as compression is 11:1.
I have been wondering, how are people getting by w/ running 91 octane gas nowadays, when my street hemi pinged badly on higher octane ethel back in the day. It had to have a minimum of 102 to run. The hemi I`m referring to was totally stock too. WHAT`S THE DIFF. ? My 505

STILL JEALOUS !! LOL

I have been wondering, how are people getting by w/ running 91 octane gas nowadays, when my street hemi pinged badly on higher octane ethel back in the day. It had to have a minimum of 102 to run. The hemi I`m referring to was totally stock too. WHAT`S THE DIFF. ? My 505

STILL JEALOUS !! LOL
I've read in the past that aluminum heads will buy you a half point more tolerance in compression in any engine. Hemis by default can run a bit higher compression than a wedge(same source). Tim told me that along with big inches, modern cam designs (duration) bleed off the pressure making high compression possible. I had a Honda CBR 954rr motorcycle that had 11:1 stock. Manual said ''91 recommended''

I've read in the past that aluminum heads will buy you a half point more tolerance in compression in any engine. Hemis by default can run a bit higher compression than a wedge(same source). Tim told me that along with big inches, modern cam designs (duration) bleed off the pressure making high compression possible. I had a Honda CBR 954rr motorcycle that had 11:1 stock. Manual said ''91 recommended''
Yeah, I didn`t think about the alum/iron head thing. My experience is about a full point higher w/ alum. The street hemi cams were a joke to start w/ too!

-
Back