74 Javelin i took in trade Pretty Sweet

-
My very first car in high school was a 73 javelin. 304 automatic. Man that thing did more burn off one tire fire then any vehicle known to man!.. I would like a rubber at damn near every light until the oil light would come on and I would have to go to the grocery store and buy a $0. 79 quart of oil to make the light stop coming on..
I sold it to my friend with the only warranty being that if you didn't do a burn off everyday I couldn't guarantee that it would keep running....true story...

That AMC 20, corporate rear end stayed like that all the way up until Chrysler bought them out in 1988, the jeeps had them until they started using the 8.25. Your right Rob Cant believe they used that outdated axle so long.

I thought that used that rascal way late. I remember them well, because I was always the only one in the shop that had the tool to remove the axle flange and drum. They were STILL swedging drums then too.

I remember buying it in two payments from the repo lot two blocks from my high school for a total of $375. I'd walk down at my lunch break all the time and look at the cars...

Get this.....Daddy was a mailman from 1946 to 1982 when Mama was finally so sick from cancer she couldn't walk and he had to retire early. In all the time I was driving age, he would come home once a month and try like hell to get me to go to the auction and buy me a Jeep DJ. I hated them. There were even a good many left hand drive ones too. 258 six banger and a few had manual transmissions. They normally sold for less than 1000 and most were around 500-700. I never went and looked. I kinda want one now. Talk about perfect for haulin engines and parts around. lol
My buddy is a postal mechanic and he says those things are JUNK. Rusted through frames, narrow track and they love to roll... over. Hit the brakes on a hard turn and your in for it (Think if a Robin 3 wheeler). Right hand drive is good for 1 thing, filling mail boxes without leaving your seat and exiting the vehicle out of traffic..well 2 things. Visibility is bad when pulling out of a parallel park. Go for it.

I remember my rear axle having a key weigh? I remember breaking?
Yep, the hub was taper fit with splines that cut into the axle with a keyway and castle nut and cutter pin, most of the time when the key sheared off it would ruin the hub and axle when it spun, people would replace the key and torque them back on but they weren't stout after that, I've seen some welded, a lot of the jeep guys used to weld them, but nowadays you can get 1 piece axles to replace them. Like Rob said it takes a special puller to remove them, I made one years ago out of a slide hammer and torched out a piece of steel, but it was actually for a old 56 dodge truck, 8.75 rear ends were the same way in the 50's and early 60's.

My buddy is a postal mechanic and he says those things are JUNK. Rusted through frames, narrow track and they love to roll... over. Hit the brakes on a hard turn and your in for it (Think if a Robin 3 wheeler). Right hand drive is good for 1 thing, filling mail boxes without leaving your seat and exiting the vehicle out of traffic..well 2 things. Visibility is bad when pulling out of a parallel park. Go for it.

Yeah well, they're hard to find now anyway....even the RHD ones.

Yeah well, they're hard to find now anyway....even the RHD ones.
I have a friend that lived four blocks away from where I live now right next to the house I used to own so he used to be my neighbor. He had a few of those right hand drive old mail Jeeps. He had one just like you said for doing close by chores and believe me you that's all the further you want to drive that thing. I was out at his house and drove it four blocks home to get something and back and swore I would never drive that pile of crap ever again, it scared the hell out of me. Back streets for four blocks each way...

^^^I must admit I'm no Jeep fan at all. And that thing was the worst of the worst as far as drivability...

Very nice
321392_2234393151374_1263856052_n.jpg
man, I freakin love these cars, this is my wife's 71 amx with my 71 340 duster at end of the world rod run in Long Beach Wa a few years back.

Took this in trade for a 65 AMC 660 a few weeks back. I used to hate these but the more I look at it the more its starting to grow on me. Nothing to special,304 auto but the body and paint are really nice . Needs a little interior work as it was one of those where the funds ran out before finishing it.View attachment 1715393658
Very cool car! My buddy is a parts guy and always calls me when he gets anything Mopar in, he picked up a package deal of 4 of those, all AMX’s. There all pretty much junk parts cars, but one is pretty solid, these have really grown on me over the years too. Always loved the 68-70 AMX, but that body style is classic as well! I thought about picking up the one that looks good, but it scares me how hard parts are to find for the AMC cars. Being from Wisconsin, I definitely have a soft spot for them.

Very cool car! My buddy is a parts guy and always calls me when he gets anything Mopar in, he picked up a package deal of 4 of those, all AMX’s. There all pretty much junk parts cars, but one is pretty solid, these have really grown on me over the years too. Always loved the 68-70 AMX, but that body style is classic as well! I thought about picking up the one that looks good, but it scares me how hard parts are to find for the AMC cars. Being from Wisconsin, I definitely have a soft spot for them.
Legendary makes the seat covers and I found a guy local that has the few trim parts I need yet so I should be in good shape. The AMC guys are similar to mopar guys in that they hoard parts except more extreme if that's possible. LOL

Very nice View attachment 1715394551 man, I freakin love these cars, this is my wife's 71 amx with my 71 340 duster at end of the world rod run in Long Beach Wa a few years back.
Did you bring that car to Somernights cruise on the hot rod power tour once? If so I met you there and we talked, I was known as AMXMitch back then.

Did you bring that car to Somernights cruise on the hot rod power tour once? If so I met you there and we talked, I was known as AMXMitch back then.
No unfortunately, I wish we would have had the time to do it. She ended up selling it a few years back since her health started declining and she didn't want it to sit around. It was a factory 360 car but we had plans to build a 401 before she sold it, it had a 67 b body 8 3/4 that was a a 100% bolt in deal and the better AMC 727 trans. I miss the car but not some of the engineering lol, still love the hell out of them though.

-
Back