'76 Dart Lite -- Budget Boost Build

-
Awesome build!
www.aussiespeedshop.com has some pics that might help.

as0510rc-300x300.jpg

images (11).jpg

images (10).jpg

radial-superchargers-slant-six.png

From turbo to supercharge. Commitment issues? Just kidding. Great work! Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Yeah, a little.. I put car away to due life situations, and was / still thinking about a 383 big block tunnel ram swap.

Yeah, AussieSpeed is nice, but too rich for me. I want to keep the Dart Lite hood without cutting it up, so the top mount is not an option. Hopefully the draw through from the side works moderately well.

I ordered a 2.5 mandrel bent donut (circle) from ebay. This allowed me to section a 1/4 section for the tightest possible bend from the base of the carb to the tube.

unwelded.jpg

transition.jpg

do nut.jpg

The good thing is the inside is NOT welded. This will allow me to tack the portion closest to the intake tube, then pie cut and bring down the diameter that is right under the carb. The tubing is 2.5 inches, the carb is 1.5 on the butterfly / venturi. I will trim some and squeeze it down, then weld a flange that will allow the carb to bolt to the transition. I still have 3/4 of the do-nut, so I can do this again down the road, if I need to move up to a 2 barrel. Since it is unwelded, I can open one end, and add some material in the middle, if needed.

carb throat.jpg

unwelded.jpg

Last edited:
Planned mounting position. Hoping an air cleaner will clear. Maybe a hat with a direct feed with a plenum intake feed from behind grille?

Rear (2).jpg

Rear.jpg

side 2.jpg

side 1.jpg

Last edited:
I need to
  • make the plate at the back of the S/C itself that will receive the tubing. I am going to tack it together and test fit on the engine.
  • get the metal to make the adapter.
  • sheet gasket material.
This should almost get the assembly off the bench and into the car. Then it will come down to throttle cable routing, fuel line routing, and belt / tensioner.

I am going to pick up the metal tomorrow to make the adapter. I have been dragging my feet to see if I could track down a 4 barrel intake, so I could build this setup once, and have the benefit of the intake itself should the supercharger not function. I cannot find a reasonably priced unit anywhere. Summit jacked the Offy units up to 300.00 bucks. So, ultimately I am going to use a 2 barrel intake I have lying around.

adapter sample.jpg

I got lucky, and bought an Offy unit from a member here. It didn't have the carb adapter, but that was fine with me. I have started the metal adapter. I need to do some more detailing, and I am not going lock in the adapter to carb position until I mount the intake on the car, to make pulley alignment easier.

spacer 3.jpg

spacer 2.jpg

Spacer'.jpg

Do a 90 off the back and run the carb like that, up against the firewall. Thats alot of plenum for fuel to puddle...hit the gas and all that accelerator pump shot will go right to the bottom of that sewer pipe. Now run the pump shot right into the top of the plenum (just a little hard tube extended from the pump nozzle into the top of the casting) and were talking no bog!

Do a 90 off the back and run the carb like that, up against the firewall. Thats alot of plenum for fuel to puddle...hit the gas and all that accelerator pump shot will go right to the bottom of that sewer pipe. Now run the pump shot right into the top of the plenum (just a little hard tube extended from the pump nozzle into the top of the casting) and were talking no bog!

you realize he hasnt been on in over 3 years right?

Doesn't matter to me, these posts are for reference now. You cant just leave low hanging fruit on the vine like that....

-
Back