8 3/4 help please

-

68darrt

Reaction score
i am considering buying a 8 3/4 rear end for my 68 dart. the rear end originally came out of a 68 dart, and it has the small 4 inch bolt patern. i was wondering what is needed to be done to change to a 4.5 inch pattern, with the fact of the drums still being a small bolt pattern too. and is it hard to find wider rims with that pattern and save the hassle of changing over the size?this is my first car and any help would be great.

There is a few off the shelf offerings on rims for the smaller bolt pattern, ask the company to see if they offer custom rims. A freind did so with his Chevy Vega by asking Centerline. They complied.

Aftermarket axle companys can get the axle size and bolt size pattern you want. Look up Moser, Strange, etc.....

5x4" rims are rarely available with the width and back spacing that you may want without a special request, but not always.

Switching to a bigger bolt pattern has a greater bonus as it opens up your wheel combo options and, who knows, you might find the rims you want to run on your car in the Little Nickel as the bolt pattern is very common (and safer IMHO). If you aren't worried about running over 500hp, JC Whitney sells big bolt pattern axles for $100 a piece for an A body 8 3/4 and you can snag the backing plate and drum set up off of a truck/van/car in the junk yard with the big bolt pattern and you are set.

Tyson

You have a few choices. 1) Find small bolt pattern wheels in width you want (could be very tough). 2) Have your stock alxes & brake drums redrilled for the larger bolt pattern. 3) Buy different axles & rear brakes. You can get them for less than 100 a piece also. I bought my Yukon axles with bearing pressed on, all gaskets needed to install, & new wheel studs for $275. Used 10X2.5 rear drum brakes (came almost everything). If you'e like send me a PM & I can give you some more info.

Thanks. I just picked up a new rear this morning and that might save me some dough.

Any machine shop should be capable of doing the work, 340 Dart.

Hmmm, when I took mine in they shot me down. Mine had the three holes in between the studs and the machine shop measured and there was no way to do it. I could have run 4 studs, but not 5.

Same deal here. One place said they would do it when I mention screw in studs, but estimated $400 for the axles and drums. I just ordered some custom steel wheels for around $250. Considering the axles already had green bearings on them, all new brake hardware and wheel cylinders, I figured the wheels were a better option for me.

Hmmm, when I took mine in they shot me down. Mine had the three holes in between the studs and the machine shop measured and there was no way to do it. I could have run 4 studs, but not 5.

i was wondering what is needed to be done to change to a 4.5 inch pattern, with the fact of the drums still being a small bolt pattern too.

in my opinion your best bet is to call moser or yukon and buy a set of big bolt axles from them.. they will come with the big bolt pattern, studs installed and axle bearings installed. then just get a set of big bolt drums from any car with a 8 3/4 rear in it . i believe any 8 1/4 rear drum brakes will work too..... if the rear is a standard a-body size then just ask for the a-body big bolt axles and they will take care of you..

you can redrill the small bolt axles and drums and people have done that for years but to me it just leaves too little metal around the studs for my likeing. people did that before anyone offered the actual entire big bolt axle...

new axles are your best bet,ive just had a 8 3/4 built for my duster using e- body casing narrowed and used yukon shafts,the backing plates, brakes all bolted up off me old 8 1/4 axle no problem

they are actually becoming more and more common. I have a set of 17" from Boydcoddington.com and also another company is Coys wheels.

-
Back