8.75 SNAFU

-

Tays340

Reaction score
I found an 8.75 under a Chrysler Newport in the bone yard. I shortened it to fit in my Dart. I ordered axles from Strange. I find that the axles are 26 3/16" from tip to flange stop snap ring. Measuring from the thrust block to the axle flange edge is 25 11/16", adding the backing plate, 25 13/16". Am I missing something or are these axles 3/8" too long?

Here's where my naivety comes through. I didn't want green bearings for a daily driver and was told the ones I got were the new side load tapered bearing.
Can I take the thrust block out of an open carrier?, seems needed. Or should I just hack the extra length off?

Just remove the thrust block. You’ll have to remove the third member and disassemble the cross shaft to remove it.

. I didn't want green bearings for a daily driver and was told the ones I got were the new side load tapered bearing.
Can I take the thrust block out of an open carrier
If the bearings are tapered, wouldn't you need a thrust block to be able to set the the bearing preload?

By the way there is nothing wrong with green bearings. Ford 9" use a similar type axle bearing with no issues at all.

Naive, am I. You make this sound so easy. So pull the third member, pull the cross shaft and remove the thrust block. Put the cross shaft back in to hold the pinion gears?
Razzle frazzle, I'll be outside pulling stuff out of the car again. If this is as easy as you make it seem, I owe you one.
Any recommendations on gear oil? MIL-L-2105B seems extinct.
Thanks

I thought that the torsen differential were the only ones that had to remove the spacer?

By the way there is nothing wrong with green bearings. Ford 9" use a similar type axle bearing with no issues at all.

The bare housing with the burned up housing ends in the trunk of my valiant would disagree. But whatever. I'm not getting into this any more than I just did.

Last edited:
Use a chop saw and cut them to the length you need and adjust the end play as needed.

Use Lucas gear oil with a bottle of ford friction modifier.

Edit: On an open carrier you don't need the ford modifier.

Last edited:
Just remove the thrust block. You’ll have to remove the third member and disassemble the cross shaft to remove it.
Pulled the third member and put the backing plates and axles back on. There's only 1/2" clearance. The cross shaft looks to be 7/8" as best I can measure. Axles are still too long. I will need to remove the carrier and the ring gear to get at the thrust block since the cross shaft is under the ring gear. Haven't been into a differential. Yet. Guessing it's time. I am confused. Should the axle shafts be tight against the cross shaft?
DSC00873.JPG
DSC00873.JPG

DSC00876.JPG

DSC00866.JPG

DSC00870.JPG

DSC00875.JPG

Are the axle bearings Green style? Did you install the axle nuts? Did you then pull out on the axles to seat them against the axle retaining flange? I you answered yes to all of this than yes your going to have to shorten the axles.

I guess they are green. They're definitely not adjustable. They have a thin snap ring that seats against the flange with a neoprene seal wrapping the bearing.. everything out to the drum fits fine as long as the third member is not in the way. You can see the bearings in this shot, maybe.

DSC00823.JPG

Just cut them off is the easy answer. Don’t over complicate it for yourself. Just use a chop saw and run water on it while you are cutting the axle. Measure twice and cut once.

Just to be sure.

Each axel is installed in this order.

1. Housing
  2. Gasket
  3. Backing plate
  4. Gasket
  5. Axel with retainer
And yes the bearings do appear to be green, and not the old style that had issues.

Okay,
removing the thrust block wasn't so bad. Axles are still about 3/16" too long if the snap ring is supposed to fit flush against the backing plate, which seems correct.
I'm having an idea though. I've still got the C body axles. I'm thinking I'll use those axle retaining plates as a spacer behind the backing plates until I can afford to upgrade to a posi unit. Keeps me from hacking the axles.

DSC00881.JPG

DSC00878.JPG

I didn't want to hack the axles. In the end they are about 5/16" shorter. It's all bolted in the car now so...Happy!!
Next move is to pull out the 904 and put the in the 727. Then have the drive shaft shortened? It's only 51.5" now.
Thanks to all of you for your advice. I'm truly appreciative.

DSC00884.JPG

DSC00940.JPG

I didn't want to hack the axles. In the end they are about 5/16" shorter. It's all bolted in the car now so...Happy!!
Next move is to pull out the 904 and put the in the 727. Then have the drive shaft shortened? It's only 51.5" now.

View attachment 1715659249

View attachment 1715659251

The axles are made to be cut. Cut the Damned axles and do it right. Knock off the jerry-rigging crap.

View attachment 1715659249

View attachment 1715659251
How did u get ur clearance? Certainly u didn’t use some kind of a spacer. Kim

-
Back