833 belhousing adapter ring

-

340doc

Reaction score
Why doesn't anyone make a adapter ring to go from a regular 833 4 spd with the 4.35 dia. bering retainer to the 5.125 O.D. bell housing? I'd like to put a non O.D. 4 speed behind my 71 slant. I can find O.D. bell housings all day for the slant but no regular 4 speed ones. Anyone on here with a lathe interested in turning out a few?

Why doesn't anyone make a adapter ring to go from a regular 833 4 spd with the 4.35 dia. bering retainer to the 5.125 O.D. bell housing? I'd like to put a non O.D. 4 speed behind my 71 slant. I can find O.D. bell housings all day for the slant but no regular 4 speed ones. Anyone on here with a lathe interested in turning out a few?

Have you checked with Brewers? They were selling them last i looked

Thanks duster360. Brewers offers 4.35 to 4.80 and 4.80 to 5.125 dukeboy, but not 4.35 to 5.125, appreciate your response. I still think if someone made an aluminum one it could be welded in place from the inside and would work fine.

Get me dimensions I'll make one for you.

That would be great! I'll PM you the specs and you can shoot me a price.

What keeps it from falling into the bellhousing? Obviously, it cannot go any farther back than against the transmission, but what stops it from falling forward into the bellhousing? Just being pressed in? No way in hell would I ever trust that.

What keeps it from falling into the bellhousing? Obviously, it cannot go any farther back than against the transmission, but what stops it from falling forward into the bellhousing? Just being pressed in? No way in hell would I ever trust that.
Pretty sure it gets welded in

Pretty sure it gets welded in

With the available correct bellhousings AND the available bearing retainers that can be swapped, the ring shouldn't even be used. JMO.

If it were that simple..There is no bearing retainer made for this size situation, also its really hard to find a bell housing for a slant that is the correct size retainer hole for the standard 833. And $$ if you do find one. The O.D. bells are really easy to find at a reasonable price. And yes I will weld the ring to the inside of the bell.

Why couldn't you use a couple of washers on the retainer bolts to capture the ring to the trans?

With the available correct bellhousings AND the available bearing retainers that can be swapped, the ring shouldn't even be used. JMO.

What about Lakewood bellhousings?

The big block version comes with a 5.125" bearing retainer bore. If you don't run an OD trans, you need an adapter ring. Since you're not going to weld on a SFI bell, what do you do? Sure, some of the later 833's can be fitted with a 5.125" bearing retainer, but the earlier ones with the smaller bolt pattern can't.

Seriously, I'm curious. There have to be tons of them out there, and I seriously doubt most folks are using an OD 833 with their big block Lakewood SFI bell.

QuickTime bellhousings for small blocks come with 5.125 bore and two adapter rings one for the 4.35 retainer and one for the 4.80 retainer. They have an interferents fit to the retainer and a beveled flange on out side edge that fits up to a beveled edge in the bellhousing so it can't fall out. Try calling QuickTime an see if they will sell you one.

I want to thank everyone who responded and tried to help, but I am abandoning this idea and just going to keep the auto due to expenses coming up elsewhere. Great group of guys here!

-
Back