833 Gear Pitting... Help!

-
I have a 273 2bbl with 323's and 14" rims...
It needs four gears too!
I only have three gears now. My 3-speed is noisy and I don't care to fix it.
Slantys need 4-speeds; the extra, in-between, gear and smooth splits, will make her feel more powerful.

Ive got a 65 4 speed just sitting here withering away in my garage. Ill make you a good deal on it if youre interested.

Jake

PM me with your best price. If he doesn't want it, I might.

HiJackers! Shall I tell you of my past loves?
Or...
At least keep it about the Mopar ones!

Last edited:
We’ve got time...let’s hear about your past loves. We’d love to hear it.
Lol, well... I saw a Saw in Arkansaw one time...
It could outSaw any Saw that you ever saw a Saw Saw!
So, of You ever see a Saw that could outSaw the Saw that I saw Saw...
I'd like to see the Saw that you saw Saw!
See?

Last edited:
One bright day in the middle of the night,
two dead boys got up to fight.
Back to back they faced each other.
Drew their swords and shot each other.
A deaf policeman heard the noise.
He came and shot those two dead boys.
If you don't believe this lie is true, ask the blind man, he saw it too.

It's looking like I'll Rebuild! Need Help Finding a 3-4 Shift Ring and a Reverse Gear as they are badly Pitted.
The Input Shaft is Also Shot, but Brother 66fs is gonna help me out with that.
Next Stop. Brewers for the Bearings and Seals!
I bought the Book from Passon's on Amazon for $20 bucks.
Here's a Pic of my Shift Ring, Reverse gear and the tip of my shaft (for anyone that wants to see) Lol

20200829_012606.jpg

20200829_012623.jpg

I got the Countergear out and it looks like the pin has just enough Pitting/Discoloring to make me worry some.
What do You guy's think?

20200829_022311.jpg

20200829_022319.jpg

20200829_022332.jpg

In that case, I'll bet the water washed all the oil out, and your cluster is fubarred too. At that point I'd be more inclined to throw it all away. And here's why;
If water got into the cluster, then the bearings and the pin will be toast. And the bored hole in the cluster, where the needles ride will be probably the worst pitted of all, and there is no coming back from that. You cannot buff that out, and even if you could, there are no oversize needles that I know of for that application. If you just slap it all together with a good cleaning, the cluster will fall down a few thou, forcing all the mainshaft gears to run on a different part of the cluster teeth. With the already compromised gears, this is just waiting for a disaster. It might survive a slanty for awhile but an overhaul kit with new bearings, is not cheap, and if it blows up in a week, you'll be a very unhappy camper.

Absolutely true. I've worked on BW T-10's, Ford top loaders, and A833's with this kind of damage. You cannot repair any corrosion on the races for the roller bearings on the countershaft and the rear of the input shaft. If you clean them up and install new rollers, the only way they will survive is if you never drive it. You can get way with MINOR corrosion on gear teeth but this unit must have been in the hold of the Titanic. The only parts I'd feel comfortable saving is the case, front bearing retainer, side cover, and tailstock.

You should have passed on it based on the input shaft alone. I’d look for another transmission rather than rebuilding what you have.

You should have passed on it based on the input shaft alone. I’d look for another transmission rather than rebuilding what you have.
I don't have another transmission... I have This transmission. I'm not wealthy, I'm broke.
I like seeing things thru even when the odds are bad.
I guess this thread has ran it's coarse, Thank You guy's!
I'll post Pic's when it goes back together!

What do You guy's think?
Not only is the pin bad, the cluster-bore will look just like that. By this time it looks like you got almost nothing but the brass parts left to work with.
The back part of the cluster is where the torque piles up; that is the most heavily stressed area, and every time you take off from a stop, that area is working hard.

I would not spend another nickle on that box, it will only make you broker

Last edited:
Not only is the pin bad, the cluster-bore will look just like that. By this time it looks like you got almost nothing but the brass parts left to work with.
The back part of the cluster is where the torque piles up; that is the most heavily stressed area, and every time you take off from a stop, that area is working hard.

I would not spend another nickle on that box, it will only make you broker
Okay, Yes of coarse you are right... :-(

Okay, Yes of coarse you are right... :-(

My old man always said every lesson in life has a price tag, some are more expensive than others. With all due respect, if you continue down the road you have apparently chosen, you are going to get a lesson. Again, with all due respect.

-
Back