9" drums all around...not diggin' it!

-

kittypancake

Reaction score
OK...I've got 9" SBP manual drums all around, and it kinda sucks. Is there an easy way to upgrade the fronts without changing control arms, spindles, bolt pattern size? Are there 10" SBP drums? What would I need to do to swap to those?

there are 10" sbp drums. you would need to swap the spindles to install them. from the 10" spindles there are upgrades to disks, from the 9" spindles there are not.

So the only factory brakes to fit on 9" spindles are 9" drums? So I guess no quick fix. Do any of the aftermarket disc conversion kits fit these spindles?

I'm not sure but i think Scarebird Mechanical has a disc brake conversion for your spindles and hubs.

I think the Wilwood disc kits will work with 9'' or 10'' drum spindles, you need to specifywhen ordering. They are exspensive kits, but are pretty easy to install. I have converted my 69 Dart to the Wilwoods without changing the master cylinder and already have the kit purchased for my 70. Both of those cars were the sbp KH disc cars that DID need the spindles replaced with drum spindles for the conversion. i just purchased a 68 valiant with 10'' drums and its getting the Wilwoods also. if i remember correctly the Wilwood hubs are drilled for both sbp and bbp.

I think the Wilwood disc kits will work with 9'' or 10'' drum spindles, you need to specifywhen ordering. They are exspensive kits, but are pretty easy to install. I have converted my 69 Dart to the Wilwoods without changing the master cylinder and already have the kit purchased for my 70. Both of those cars were the sbp KH disc cars that DID need the spindles replaced with drum spindles for the conversion. i just purchased a 68 valiant with 10'' drums and its getting the Wilwoods also. if i remember correctly the Wilwood hubs are drilled for both sbp and bbp.

Willwood makes a 9" spindle kit here is a picture of mine. Mine doesn't have the small bolt pattern but I think the newer kits do.

The 9" and 10" spindles kits are different part numbers

http://www.jegs.com/i/Wilwood/950/140-2722-BD/10002/-1?parentProductId=744530#moreDetails

Attachments

• 65 Valiant 009.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 439
Scarebird makes an adapter bracket for $105 that allows you to convert to disk brakes using late model GM calipers and re-drilled toyota rotors, they also sell a complete kit for $495, it is usually cheaper to just buy the adapter bracket's (they come with a list of parts you need to complete the conversion) and just shop local for the rest of the parts
the set up works very well, I personally know two people using them, one on an A-body and one on a C-body
they have one kit for 10" drum spindles, and another one for 9" drum spindles

http://www.scarebird.com/index.php?id=30

I'm gonna go with the wilwoods when the time comes. I've got 9" spindles and i like running my 14" small bolt wheels, but it wouldn't take much arm twisting for me to order a staggered set of mo-techs in sbp.

I have the wilwood set up on my 63 dart and it is a very nice setup but not cheap. The most important part of the whole swap is making sure you have the correct master cylinder for the application. Not sure about your setup but mine had the single Reservoir with no proportining valve to control front and back braking. You will need those parts to make it work correctly.

one more thing to remember when ever you are converting from drum to disk
drum brake master cylinders have a residual pressure valve in them that keeps a small amount of pressure on the brake lines, sort of like lightly resting your foot on the brake pedal, this is done in order to keep the seals in the wheel cylinders from collapsing and leaking, the amount of pressure is not enough to overcome the tension of the spring's on the shoes

if you try and use a drum brake M/C on a disk brake it will make the brakes drag causing rapid brake wear, brake fade due to heat, loss of fuel mileage, and other problems

newer drum wheel cylinders have a spring in them that pushes the seal's out keeping them from leaking, so they do not need residual pressure, and can be used with a disk brake M/C, so when you do a conversion remember to always replace the rear wheel cylinders with new ones

Not an expert since all of my GT's have 10" drums, but don't the 9" drum spindles have a smaller, and weaker, lower ball joint? Might be something to consider if you're going to throw big brakes, rims and tires on a 9" drum spindle.

And, if you're going to buy a $700 wilwood brake kit that still requires a new master cylinder, changes the track width of the front end and requires 15" wheels, wouldn't it be easier (and cheaper) to buy a complete 73-'76 front suspension set up (UCA's, spindles, brakes etc)? They usually go for $300 or less...

It may be the better route. But for now, I'm just gonna make sure I have a nice big gap in front of me.

do they come small bolt also? it looks like its only 4 1/2 and 4 3/4 bolt patterns.. unless i just didn't see it.. think the OP wants to stick with small bolt.

Yeah I just through ECI brakes at them every time it gets down to people don't wanting to change out the spindles. Even though I don't know what they are working with. Might work for them might not... Most of the time they all ways have spb! lol

ECI worked really well for me. I already had LBP wheels so I was a good candidate. At the time of purchase I was looking at Wilwoods and the price range started around $1000 if I remember correctly.

Attachments

• ECI KIT.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 317
  • ECI KIT 2.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 319
  • ECI KIT 3.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 311
Think I have a set of 10 inch spindles and backing plates off of a 71 dart .then you could use your lower ball joint and get drums, shoes and hardware. Let me know if you want me to dig for them My dart was sbp but the drums arent worth shipping.

Those little 9" brake spindles and ball joints were made for light /6 cars. Don't know if I would trust them if you have a lot of braking force. I have heard of the small ball joint coming apart under heavy braking with a disc set up. Not fun!!

I have 9 in brakes on the 66 wagon. It has dealer installed power brakes and I have had to do a hard brake with it and was very inpressed with how hard it braked. It locked up all four wheels . I will keep the 9 in for now. If I go to disk I will use the the Scare bird kit.

-
Back