9" Ford into '63 Dart

-

drgonzo

Reaction score
Have any of you swapped a 9" into an early A body? If so did you use a hybrid U-joint to mate the Ford rear to the Mopar shaft or get a new end put on the drive shaft or......? So far I can't locate a U-joint that will do the trick. I still have the PB904 and right now plan to keep it.
Any and all info appreciated.
Brad

Why waste your time with a 904 when you can have a C-6, the best transmission ever built.

Jake

In a 63 Dart? What's under the hood?
It's a warmed over slant six. Only the rear axle will be Ford. The 9" is the narrowest of all, from a '57 Ford. Pretty much a bolt in. I used to run the same ones in my '72 Nova dirt tracker.

It's a warmed over slant six. Only the rear axle will be Ford. The 9" is the narrowest of all, from a '57 Ford. Pretty much a bolt in. I used to run the same ones in my '72 Nova dirt tracker.
Each to his own. Obviously you know the 9" will have to be narrowed to fit. Do you have it mounted yet? Are the axle tubes the same size as the rear end that came out? You may also have to fabricate shock mounts. You knew that already though I bet.

Each to his own. Obviously you know the 9" will have to be narrowed to fit. Do you have it mounted yet? Are the axle tubes the same size as the rear end that came out? You may also have to fabricate shock mounts. You knew that already though I bet.
It does not have to be narrowed, nor do the spring perches have to be moved. It sets right on the springs. It IS the narrowest of all 9 inch housings. I have U-bolts and shock plates. I am using the 9 because I already have it and have a 3.70 gear in it. I will put a mini spool in it and have at it.

It does not have to be narrowed, nor do the spring perches have to be moved. It sets right on the springs. It IS the narrowest of all 9 inch housings. I have U-bolts and shock plates. I am using the 9 because I already have it and have a 3.70 gear in it. I will put a mini spool in it and have at it.
Sounds like you're good then. I have a driveline company nearby that could either come up with a u joint or modify the driveshaft with a different yoke. You may need a different length as well. The Yellow Pages might be your friend.

I've swapped many different rear ends into many different cars (makes and models). As long as you have a good driveshaft man he will solve all your problems. Just make sure and bring the correct U-joint that goes with the rear end and the drive shaft that you plan to use with the correct U-joint on the trans end.

Treblig

Thanks Treblig, That looks like sound advice. When I used these same rear ends in the Novas all it took was the right U-joint and it just bolted up. Seems we have a good driveshaft shop right here in town.

Last edited:
I have a pair of Spicer U-joints that go from a Ford 1350 to a Chrysler 7290 if you are interested please pm me your phone number and we can talk

Isn't it the same as a 64-66 Mustang?

I would do the conversion setup to eliminate the ball and trunnion up front when the driveshaft will likely need to be shortened some for the length of the Ford pumpkin.

Yes, they are the same 57.25" hub to hub. Yup, now would be the time to do the conversion on the front joint as well.

-
Back