904 torque converter dont fit..?

-

firefighter1

Reaction score
hey guys,
i am swapping my old blown slant six motor for a new one. when i tried to bolt the trans to the new motor the torque converter doesnt fit what's up with that? the torque converter doesnt' fit into the back of the crankshaft on the new motor. WTF?!

Sounds like the new motor is a pre-67 and your trans is 67 up. That's when they changed the size of the crank register.

ah hah! i did not know that. obviously. thanks man. i have a pre 67 motor...so what kind of torque converter would work?

I thought the register change was between 67 and 68 but anyway... they aren't all the same. I assume you have a trans correct for the V8. If not you have further problems ahead to conquer.

no. i have a slant six trans for my slant six motor. the change is the new motor which was pulled from a 64 dart. it bolts right up to my old trans, but the torque converter is to large for the crankshaft inlet.

crankshaft measurement is 1 1/2" and the torque converter is 1 7/8" again won't fit in crank hole

Its a pain but you can always swap the front pump on your trans to an earlier one. This will allow you to use the torque converter that will mate with your engine (had to do that on a later 904 so i could adapt it to my early 273).

is there an easier way? i thought i might just need to get a different torque converter, but i wasn't sure.

When I did this a few years ago, I looked for an adapter torque converter but all I was able to find was an adapter ring. it adapts a later engine to an early trans. good luck.

man! just to clarify... i need a older year trans to be compatable or i need to look for a conversion plate?

Had the exact same problem a number of years ago !!! There "USED" to be companies out there that made a converter to fit the way you need !!Call some of your local tranny shops,they can probably hook you up !!

hey again,
so i have another 904 trans and i was wondering if you guys know how to tell what year the trans is? the numbers on the other trans is 8713. will this one work with my pre 1966 slant six motor? my old trans that is not working is U744 on the bell housing.

hey again,
so i have another 904 trans and i was wondering if you guys know how to tell what year the trans is? the numbers on the other trans is 8713. will this one work with my pre 1966 slant six motor? my old trans that is not working is U744 on the bell housing.

Here's the deal: In '68 (I believe) the 904 got a bigger input shaft (the one that the converter rides on) AND at the same time, they changed size of the snout that fits into the recess in the back of the crank.

So, depending on your transmission year, you may have to do what I did: I called Hughes transmissions in Arizona and had them configure me a new converter that fits the bigger (more splines) input shaft, but has the early model snout to fit the early crank rescess.

Cost me $500.00 for this bastard converter with 3,000 stall... not a bad deal, I thought.

Good luck!:happy7:

Hi, If you read this thread there is a post that you will see where you can just buy an adapter spacer/ring spacer instead of changing transmissions and/or buying a new t/converter. I called Hughes and they built me a new convertor to the stall specs my engine builder wanted, cost $450. but it can be done with just the ring spacer
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=146459

Hi, If you read this thread there is a post that you will see where you can just buy an adapter spacer/ring spacer instead of changing transmissions and/or buying a new t/converter. I called Hughes and they built me a new convertor to the stall specs my engine builder wanted, cost $450. but it can be done with just the ring spacer
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=146459

That thread is for going with a newer motor to an older trans. The OP is going older motor to newer trans so I don't think that adapter will work.

You cant fit newer guts into an older convertor shell, only the other way around.

Front pump, diff early trans, or crank swap.

if it was a early v8, you could just open up the inner diameter of the register since the outer diameter is the same as later style.

fwiw

Well, sh*t.. lol I dont know anything, thats why I have all you very helpful people here on abodies to guide "dummies" like me!

A machine shop could change the end of the crank but doing this with the crank in the engine and under the car would be very difficult. First finding the appropriate cutter then setting it up to cut on center...
time consuming if not else.

I have a 904 converter for the 67 and earlier trans. In 68 they came with a different register and spline count than the early ones. The one I have is nearly new for /6's and 273 v-8's and has 600 miles on it.
If your interested let me know, Bob

-
Back