A 1974 Duster - My 2nd one, 41 years later!

-
We have had a house guest visiting for the last 2 weeks so I could not get any paint work done. I am down at the shop today with some time to myself...so...the green is a flying'! Snail's pace, but moving forward. This pic is with 2 coats of base. I did 3 coats of base with 15 min flash time in-between base coats before moving on to the clear.

26190191088_5a4e11abd7_b.jpg
IMG_4815 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

1st coat of clear, 30-45 min flash time in-between clear coats, I'll be doing 3 coats of clear total:

25191806177_a0cf67bbfc_b.jpg
IMG_4816 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

This is just after spraying the 3rd coat of clear:

28286387999_943386aacf_b.jpg
IMG_4819 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Last edited:
We have had a house guest visiting for the last 2 weeks so I could not get any paint work done. I am down at the shop today with some time to myself...so...the green is a flying'! Snail's pace, but moving forward. This pic is with 2 coats of base. I did 3 coats of base with 15 min flash time in-between base coats before moving on to the clear.

View attachment 1715138121IMG_4815 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

1st coat of clear, 30-45 min flash time in-between clear coats, I'll be doing 3 coats of clear total:

View attachment 1715138128IMG_4816 by Alexl5280, on Flickr
Great work Alex!

^ I'd have to say Yes very happy with the way the door came out. No runs, gun layed the paint down very smooth, I kept the floor wet so it looks to be "trash free", can't complain....love this gun! This is the first exterior part of the car that I have sprayed in green...if the rest of the car comes out like the door...I'll be grinning big.

Last edited:
^ I'd have to say Yes very happy with the way the door came out. No runs, gun layed the paint down very smooth, I kept the floor wet so it looks to be "trash free", can't complain....love this gun! This is the first exterior part of the car that I have sprayed in green...if the rest of the car comes out like the door...I'll be grinning big.

What gun are you using?

Moving on. Got drivers door sanded and in epoxy. Lighting is weird in these pics, maybe from having the warehouse door open??? I will be painting this door in green this Saturday, yay!

26233038208_a45ec68f0d_b.jpg
IMG_4821 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

26233038848_22567469b3_b.jpg
IMG_4820 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Last edited:
It was 12 degrees when I got to the shop yesterday morning. I was having a difficult time keeping a door open for ventilation and maintaining 70 degrees for the paint requirement....So I had to skip it. Tuesday and Wed are supposed to be nice....I'll get back on the paint then.

BTW..Nice quick "edit fix"...hey my whole car is painted, thanks Dave!!! LOL!

Love to see the progress! I'm starting bodywork the end of this month and I hope it comes out half as well as yours!

Alex, what's been going on with the car? Is it green, or more of it any way.

Sorry for my lack of progress. My brother was in town for a month, he may be moving here and coming to work for our company HaloLifts, so I didn't get anything done on my car. The weather has been very cold making it difficult to ventilate the shop and still keep the shop at 70 degrees for painting. I will be attempting to paint the drivers door tomorrow.

Thanks for the detailed info. I'm learning from your work. The green is beautiful

Hey Alex, have you been the the nighthawk tap room up the street from your shop? Just wondering if it was any good.

I don't drink, but could be up for a meet and greet there for beer and pizza.

AAAAAAlllllllllleeeeeexxxxxxxxx, getting anything painted? Can't say much, my junk is all torn apart also.

Sorry, I know I kinda fell off the wagon here...lots of things piling up on me that has nothing to do with building a hot rod. Any ways...Higgs met me at the shop today, we shot the drivers door in 3 coats of base, 3 coats of clear. It came out awesome!

39975551475_045ba9a969_b.jpg
IMG_4872 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

-
Back