A 1974 Duster - My 2nd one, 41 years later!

-
I was going to do the bumpers in flat black...but decided it will be easier to just do them in green. There will be enough black on the car, bumpers will be fine green.

41196212742_d59a081892_b.jpg
IMG_4918 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Last edited:
I was going to do the bumpers in flat black...but decided it will be easier to just do them in green. There will be enough black on the car, bumpers will be fine green.

View attachment 1715161092IMG_4918 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Are you going to use the original bumper hardware with your new fiberglass ones? Also, what is the name of that "filler" piece you painted green? I think I need to find a replacement and I can't remember what it's called. Still BY FAR my favorite build on FABO, keep it coming. Gonna be sad when you're all done

Looks great Alex, been a while since I've been here to see the progress. Wow what a shape looking Duster. One of the best ones done here I will say. Keep up the great work and I will for sure check back with you. Have a great painting day soon. Mine here will be ready to clay bar for the new upcoming year.
IMAG0655.jpg

Thank you very much, you didn't have to say that, but I do thank you. I'm just one guy doing all the work myself, trying to do a good job restoring this beauty Mopar made some many years ago. Thanks again guys!

I think it is called Grill/bumper filler piece. That's what I call it. Or maybe front lower grill valance???

AS always ^ car looks great Richard!

Last edited:
Good call on the green bumpers. You need to give yourself more credit Alex, your doing a great job on the car.

Thanks you guys! I'm doing the best I can! My gallon of clear that I ordered hasn't arrived yet, I have enough to do the bumpers and filler piece, so thats what I am doing Saturday morning.

Thank you very much, you didn't have to say that, but I do thank you. I'm just one guy doing all the work myself, trying to do a good job restoring this beauty Mopar made some many years ago. Thanks again guys!

I think it is called Grill/bumper filler piece. That's what I call it. Or maybe front lower grill valance???

AS always ^ car looks great Richard!
Thanks Alex... Keep up the GREAT Work

Yes, I'll lock the casters on both sides, closest to the car. I am also going to bolt on to each side of the scaffold just above the casters a 2"x4"x8' stud/piece of lumber that will stick out under the car (the end will be touching the garage floor) , this will eliminate the chance of it tipping over as I lean out, into the center while painting the roof.

Last edited:
Yes, I'll lock the casters on both sides, closest to the car. I am also going to bolt on to each side of the scaffold just above the casters a 2'x4'x8' stud/piece of lumber that will stick out under the car (the end will be touching the garage floor) , this will eliminate the chance of it tipping over as I lean out, into the center while painting the roof.
I was gonna suggest adding a platform on the bottom and putting concrete blocks or something on it but tournament idea is much better!

You gona have Higgs push you around? He could hang off the back to help support you.:poke:

Ordering AAR rear fiberglass bumper so I can deal with fitment as Jamakin pointed out, now is the time. I refuse to put those god awful heavy boat anchor bumpers back on. I will have to fab up some mounts, no biggie. The OEM shock absorber rear bumper mounts were completely removed.

AAR bumpers to be painted in Sassy Green......or Black...what do you think is better???

Bumper, Duster, 1970-1976, rear | AAR Quality Fiberglass Reproductions

Bumper, Duster, 1973-1976, front | AAR Quality Fiberglass Reproductions
Alex, did you by chance snap a picture of the bumper brackets / braces you fabbed up?

Jon

The smaller L pieces fit in the OEM bumper shock hole. The other pieces that bolt to the bumper was welded while it was attached to the bumper so it would follow the lines of the bumper. Everything is slotted for adjustment in all directions, in...out, Up...Down and side to side.

39536783060_e788a81ca4_b.jpg
IMG_4933 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

39536787170_83369faf33_b.jpg
IMG_4932 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

The smaller L pieces fit in the OEM bumper shock hole. The other pieces that bolt to the bumper was welded while it was attached to the bumper so it would follow the lines of the bumper. Everything is slotted for adjustment in all directions, in...out, Up...Down and side to side.

View attachment 1715162969IMG_4933 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

View attachment 1715162970IMG_4932 by Alexl5280, on Flickr
Thank you for this. I want sure how to go about attaching the new fiberglass bumpers.

^ Pics didn't do them justice...so I'll put the front bumper and filler piece back on the car and take a few pics with them installed. All that is left to paint green is the outside of the trunk lid and the rest of the car. Saturday is my only day I can spray so, this coming Sat, I'll do the trunk lid and the next I'll try to do the whole car.

Nope...I didn't forget the bumper carriage bolts.

40758502314_52d462a3d9_b.jpg
IMG_4953 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Last edited:
-
Back