A-518 Who has put one in an A-boby

-
Thinking about putting one in my 69 barracuda fb. Local Trans shop has one they will rebuild complete for 1500.00. Good Price?

Thinking about putting one in my 69 barracuda fb. Local Trans shop has one they will rebuild complete for 1500.00. Good Price?

If they're suppling the core and do a good job that's about right. Just the core on 518's are pretty high. If you supply the trans. core that's pretty salty unless alot of the hard parts (drums, gear sets, etc) need changed.

they are going to supply the core. That is a total rebuild. My dad has dealt with them before and they have really good customer service. He took his 700r4 back to them a few times to fine tune it to his specifications and they never charged him after the initial cost of the rebuild.

Hey, stupid thought on my part....

I think the reason I didn't need to cut up my floor is because my floor is different from yours. Some aggravation with some aftermarket seat brackets quickly taught me that my 75 was a late year build, and that my car actually has a 1976 floorboard. Yes, they are different..1976 was shaped a whole bunch different to make way for the catalytic converter.

..and now I can't use off the shelf aftermarket seat brackets because they only made that floor in 1976...hence why Procar, Corbeau, and Recaro don't make 1976 seat adapters.

does anyone have pics of there trans support? buy or build?

You will mostly have to build. That I know of there is no trans moutn available on the market. Mine was fabricated.

Trans 1.jpg

I pick my A518 up on Friday!!! finally! It only cost me 1500 plus the flex plate.

I love my 518. OD gear with my 3.55s will be the same as keeping the 2.45s.

My floor was not modified, but the stock crossover was cut down and replaced with a flatstock loop and beefed up with 2x2" welded subframe connectors.

you have any pics of your install? been thinking about the swap myself. i have a 94 trans already from a van. i don'y have torsion bars anymore so as long as i install frame connectors i should be ok. i think...lol

I've got one... OD with Lockup and a TCI 2500 converter.
Cruzin with 3.91 rear 3000 rpm is about 65mph. flip on the OD and the Rs drop to 2100.
92 and older were non lockup converters, so only need a switch to control the overdrive. Better choice selection for stall converters.
93- 96 have a lockup, additionally this needs a pressure switch to disable the LU automaticaly when coming to a stop, or you need to remember to flip off the switch.
I've checked with Dynamic, TCI and SMR. They say that about 2500-2800 is max stall because of the limits of the LU construction.
SMR says they can make a higher stall converter for the 93 and newer but it will disable the LU function.

and then there are the floor mods ya need to do to get a decent driveshaft angle.

Nice work

just picked up my tranny on Friday, looking to do most of the work this weekend! I did not realize the 518 is 7" longer than a 904. Will a 727 yoke fit the 518??? Also i have a 73-74 360 and was wondering if the flex plate was irregular or regular??? thanks!
Grant

just picked up my tranny on Friday, looking to do most of the work this weekend! I did not realize the 518 is 7" longer than a 904. Will a 727 yoke fit the 518??? Also i have a 73-74 360 and was wondering if the flex plate was irregular or regular??? thanks!
Grant

Yeah it's a bunch longer. I do believe a 727 yoke is the same and your 360 is externally balanced so you'll need a B&M 10236 or equiv. flexplate.

As far as Yokes:

A 727 yoke will fit a 518 but a 518 will not fit a 727. For the life of me I can't remember why, but I specifically remember that being an issue when I was getting my yoke. Also, the yokes from a 727 and 45/545RFE are interchangeable. The yoke on my car is actually from a 2004 Dakota.

The thread on my install:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=27244

even with the non lock up convertor you should put a pressure switch si the over drive kick out when below what ever speed you get the pressure switch for (roughlt speeking a 40lbs switch will kick in at 40mph 45lbs switch at 45mph remember that is roughly speeking) also its a good idea to put a vac. switch in line also so when you hit the gas it will drop the trans out of overdrive without having to turn the power switch off everytime you want it out of over drive the link CHARGER70 gave you will be a great help call tem they will help you in anyway you need really good people

Got my a-500 back Fri $600 with Trans go shift kit and extra clutches, will order the flexplate this week.Paid $40 for the trans. so $640 total.
Found a guy who works at Aamco that does trannies at home.

WOW ! what luck, I was looking on craigslist this morning & saw an ad in the local auto parts section "dodge 518 overdrive transmission free" The guy had bought it for a father-son project that never got off the ground & he wanted it out of his garage. It's been there for about 10 years he said. I picked it up a half hour ago, but I'm not sure what year it's from, Can any of you guys tell from the picture ? It will probably end up in my 73 Scamp, If I can bring myself to cut up the floor.

trans 001.jpg

trans 002.jpg

trans 003.jpg

trans 004.jpg

I have an article written by the now defunct hi performance mopar magazine. It is 6 different pdf files and is very detailed. there is lots of really good info .

Took me a lot of internet searching to find this article after the magazine tanked...

Let me know if you want it.

I have one in my 69 Dart. Had to do major floor mods to keep the correct driveshaft angle/engine level. To determine whether its a lockup tranny or not look at the plug on the left side to the rear and a little higher than the shift linkage. If it has 3 pins its a lockup, 2 pins it does not. Power to the center pin, front pin for OD, rer pin for TC lockup. PATCO has the pressure switches and stuff to set it up for a somewhat automatic operation. Here are some pics.

Larry

Floor Mods

IM000246.jpg

IM000250.jpg

IM000261.jpg

IM000262.jpg

IM000266.jpg

3 pin connector,Looks like mines a lockup, so it might not be the best for my application. If I'm correct I think you have to use a non-lockup main shaft to delete the lock-up feature ? Thanks everyone for the great info & pictures !

-
Back