A body 273 V8 Commando air cleaner

-

64valconv

Reaction score
Is anyone currently making an aftermarket version of the original Commando air cleaner? I've seen a couple listed on Ebay but they are in rough shape. Thanks

Is anyone currently making an aftermarket version of the original Commando air cleaner?

Not to my knowledge

I've seen a couple listed on Ebay but they are in rough shape. Thanks

I've got one of those "rough" ones where someone punched a series of holes around the perimeter of the top - guess to allow extra air in? Too bad as the chrome is pretty nice on it :sad:

I've got one with a bunch of holes around the top also. I'm going to make another top for it and rivet, or epoxy it on, and cover it with a new decal, so at least it will be decent looking.
Why do idiots do that,??.

barracudadave67

I have a totally stock Formula S with the 273 commando engine
so many people have told me to get rid of the chrome and let the car breathe. I'm going to keep it original and on the engine
that is why they make holes, so they can get more air.

I haven't found anyone either that repops these. They come up for sale here and on E bay fairly often. Just be patient and you will find one.

Are there any other non-chrome air cleaners for other engines that have the same dimensions as the Commando top?

Are there any other non-chrome air cleaners for other engines that have the same dimensions as the Commando top?

Yes - my CA slant-equipped 1 barrel had a Commando size air cleaner top with the 1 barrel base. 383's in the 64/65/66 era also had the Commando sized tops with a 4 barrel base. These were all black. Besides the one from my slant, I've also had one from the 383 so they are out there. Both of mine were sold awhile ago.

I don't believe any of the other air cleaners have the same dimensions unless it would be for a dual quad Max Wedge engine but are worth twice what the Charger/Commando air cleaners sell for. The 383's also had a unscilenced one. The slant 6 ones look the same but I believe are 9" instead of 10" diameter.

I think '66 Barracuda with 273 -2bbl had the same size but it was painted black.
But the '66 Valiant air cleaners had a snorkel air cleaner.

I have seen non chrome air cleaners of the same size on some slant six motors. I have a 273 Charger air cleaner for my 67 Dart gt.

The 66 cuda seems to have had a couple air cleaner options. I have one that is identical to the commando - it is a non-CAP.
Of course there is a CAP version for the commando and 2-bbl

I have also seen cuda's with a snorkel air cleaner

If only the tin call out would be repopped with the correct colors would be awesome

Attachments

• IMG_2504.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_2543.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 359
I thought I saw Mopar Performance was reproducing these unscilenced air cleaners. Maybe not. Good hunting

I have a black one that I could get chromed, with a correct bottom. Let me know and I will work up a price.

I have a totally stock Formula S with the 273 commando engine
so many people have told me to get rid of the chrome and let the car breathe. I'm going to keep it original and on the engine
that is why they make holes, so they can get more air.

The thing is open all the way around the bottom. Are these people blind? It has way more flow than the typical snorkel type air cleaner. That was the whole idea.

Anyway, the lid is the same as a slant six air cleaner, so if you can't scare up an unholed example you could have one of those chromed. Oh, someone else posted that. I have the same pair, except my Commando is non-CAP and my 225 lid is.

The 66 cuda seems to have had a couple air cleaner options. I have one that is identical to the commando - it is a non-CAP.
Of course there is a CAP version for the commando and 2-bbl

I have also seen cuda's with a snorkel air cleaner

If only the tin call out would be repopped with the correct colors would be awesome

I bought a repop a few years ago and it was very close.

Attachments

• dec04005.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 329
I don't believe any of the other air cleaners have the same dimensions unless it would be for a dual quad Max Wedge engine but are worth twice what the Charger/Commando air cleaners sell for. The 383's also had a unscilenced one. The slant 6 ones look the same but I believe are 9" instead of 10" diameter.

They are the same. They have flats for either filter in the top. 66 A body can have a 2 barrel version. They are also the same as early big block High Performance air cleaners. Only the Commando and Charger air cleaners were chrome that I have seen.

I might have to get my xtra one chromed! I have two AFB bottoms now.

For what it's worth, someone finally makes a decent chrome-replica powder that still looks good after the clear coat!!! :-D

I used it as a base for the candy red "Edelbrock" logo, and alone on the ribs.

View attachment 011 - Copy.jpg

This YouTube walk-around Powder **** video will show you more. (I didn't take a lot of still pictures; this particular combination needs to almost be seen in person to fully appreciate it. Just turn your speakers down -- that damn redhead talked too much as usual.) The 'beloved FABO member' I mention is our very own Wylde1 from The Great White North. He got them a couple weeks ago and seems to be very jazzed with the results.

[ame="https://youtu.be/lnkjHjOKn4w"]https://youtu.be/lnkjHjOKn4w[/ame]

I provided our Swedish member Ulf with the Charger 273 emblem on the metal backing plate. He had them repopped there in Sweden. If someone had an original air cleaner with the Commando 273 call-out on the metal backing plate, I suspect he could probably get it repopped. Looks like just the backing plate with the silk screen callout is all that would be needed to do this project.

I have an awesome metal repop 273 air cleaner decal, it's as close to te real thing as your gonna get, wish I had bought more...only have 1. I should post pics, it's the Plymouth version :thumbsup:

Check with our member BamaCuda. He bought some of those metal pie pan decals a few years back and may have some left.

Dads has the orig chrome 273 commando but it had a decal. I never thought they had pie pans then. Id be interested in good repop pan or sticker. Dads has a healthy scratch in the sticker.

-
Back