A Body Custom instrument clusters

-

tvt59

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm tring to get some ideas on how I want to do my dash on my 68' Valiant I'd like to make some kind of dash insert to mount all auto meter guages. Anyone done this? If so I would love to see your pics. and a little about how and what you did.

I just posted looking for info on what people want. I have a Rocky Mountain Dash and love it.

fastlane west insert that i modified. i was a weak piece of sh*t so i jb welded 1/8 lexan to the back of the gauge surface and switch (not installed) cutouts for reinforcement. speedhut gauges, LEDs from radio shack. its not quite done yet but you get the general idea.

Attachments

• 0402111724b.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 1,248
Made gauge panel out of aluminum.....used basic tools. Panel will mount to small "frame" and that all will mount to the dash right where the heater/radio normally is. Will make the "frame" out of fiberglass. Once this one is done i'll make another gauge panel for the speedometer/fuel level/tach/turn signals/etc. Because of the gauges I wanted to use I couldnt find any stock or aftermarket clusters or gauge panels that I thought would work.

SANY0153.jpg

Pauly,
just cause its carbon dosent mean its sturdy or thick enough for the application.
Bad,
Thats very retro, reminds me of a bomber cockpit. Very cool
TVT Id post a pic of mine but its all digital.
Andrew

Here's mine. I bent a piece of 14 gauge steel to match the shape of the dash, and then cut holes through it to mount the gauges. The gauges slide into scraps of exhaust tubing (3.5" for speedo and tach, and 2.75" for the rest). The 3 center gauges are angled towards the driver.

The black part is wrinkle paint, and lower part is painted silver to match the original theme of the car.

It's lots cheaper than a Rocky Mountain Dash, and a fun welding project.

Scott

Attachments

• DSCN0339-1.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,090
  • DSCN0337-1.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,145
  • DSCN0627-1.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,105
  • DSCN0630-1.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 1,107
  • DSCN0666-1.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 1,096
  • DSCN0668-1.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 1,057
Here's mine. I bent a piece of 14 gauge steel to match the shape of the dash, and then cut holes through it to mount the gauges. The gauges slide into scraps of exhaust tubing (3.5" for speedo and tach, and 2.75" for the rest). The 3 center gauges are angled towards the driver.

The black part is wrinkle paint, and lower part is painted silver to match the original theme of the car.

Scott

Very nicely done Sir, I'm gonna make mine over the winter hopefully it turns out as nice....

Scott

Looks great! R u guys just using hole saws to cut the gauge holes? How do u cut them on an angle?

Can use a hole saw, just get good ones. I have cheapy ones from Harbor Freight that make good holes in potatoes, they wont "cut" through aluminum or steel, they just start to burn up. The good ones at my work are super sharp like the teeth on a brand new circular saw blade. Sharp enough to cut you skin while your just holding it.

Scott

Wow. Now make me one.

That looks really nice.

Thanks guys. I wish I had more time on my hands... I would make a few more and sell them to FABO folks.

As far as drilling the holes, I couldn't find a hole saw that would work at the angles I was cutting. So I trimmed some cardboard tubes to match the profile of the bent sheetmetal and the angle I wanted the gauges to come out. I traced around them and cut the openings with a small cut-off wheel. It wasn't exactly a Saturday project - the final product took several weekends.

If you guys want to give it a try yourself, I'll do whatever I can to help you out.

Scott

Mr Man, my fellow East Valley man... do you have a pic of that mounted in your car? I really like that. it has the RMD feel but instead of frenched in they stick out. Different and cool

Pauly,
just cause its carbon dosent mean its sturdy or thick enough for the application.
Bad,
Thats very retro, reminds me of a bomber cockpit. Very cool
TVT Id post a pic of mine but its all digital.
Andrew

not carbon, its injection molded plastic with a not very very convincing carbon fiber pattern. i tried to make the best of it by covering it with 3M Di-loc shrink wrap that looks like carbon, at least more like carbon than the way it came.

Pauly,
I did ask if the members thought there was a need for REAL carbon inserts, and got a bunch of LOLs, so I never pursued it. I dont know what you paid for the insert but if I remember correctly I was thinking $80 or $90 for a carbon one.
Andrew

Mr Man, my fellow East Valley man... do you have a pic of that mounted in your car? I really like that. it has the RMD feel but instead of frenched in they stick out. Different and cool

Thanks for the compliment. Give me a week or 2 and I'll post a pic with it installed. I'm still plumbing the A/C and running my dash wiring.

What part of the east valley are you in?

Scott

I've got a question, I would love to do my dash similar to what MR Man has done, but i dont think my skills could do that justice. Which leaves me the only option I can see is to purchase on of the inserts sold by redline or fastllane. Does anyone have another suggestion. If not, which of these two is "better"? I havent heard anything about the Redline set, and I was leaning towards the Fastlane becausethe holes were already cut. But after reading about Pauly's concern, Im not sure no. Any help/advise would be great. Thanks guys!

Thanks for the compliment. Give me a week or 2 and I'll post a pic with it installed. I'm still plumbing the A/C and running my dash wiring.

What part of the east valley are you in?

Scott

I am in mesa. meridian and southern. Mere footsteps from the abyss that is apache junction

I've got a question, I would love to do my dash similar to what MR Man has done, but i dont think my skills could do that justice. Which leaves me the only option I can see is to purchase on of the inserts sold by redline or fastllane. Does anyone have another suggestion. If not, which of these two is "better"? I havent heard anything about the Redline set, and I was leaning towards the Fastlane becausethe holes were already cut. But after reading about Pauly's concern, Im not sure no. Any help/advise would be great. Thanks guys!

I've heard that since i got mine they have started making them thicker, just how much thicker i can't say. i would suggest calling them and asking.
i never called to complain about it so i guess somebody else did.
it really wasn't that hard to fab-up a piece of lexan and it made a big difference, but it sucks getting an expensive product that still needs to be improved upon to make it sturdy.

I am in mesa. meridian and southern. Mere footsteps from the abyss that is apache junction
I used to live right off of 80th St. between University & Brown. Just look for the place with the big garage right on the fence, he was my old neighbor. Very well might be staying there for a few days next month.....or out in AJ off of Tomahawk & Southern.....my buddies transmission shop is on Meridan just before it ends....

I found a RMD Dash... It should be here this week! PM me for the secret...

RMD1.jpg

fastlane west insert that i modified. i was a weak piece of sh*t so i jb welded 1/8 lexan to the back of the gauge surface and switch (not installed) cutouts for reinforcement. speedhut gauges, LEDs from radio shack. its not quite done yet but you get the general idea.

this looks exactly like what I want. Are these inserts available w/o gauges? Because I'm german an the Tacho has to be metric here... Different vendors on the market or just fastlane?

-
Back