a body headers

-

duster731

young gun
Reaction score
i was wondering if hooker headers will fit a 73 duster that was a slant now a 318. i heard they sit 2 inches lower then the suspension but is there anything else are they direct fit. i found them for 175 at summitracing thanks

Yes they fit.

Do yourself a favor and spend the extra on Dougs. You'll be much happier you did because they fit better, no hanging low.

Painted are about $400, coated about $535

As Rob said they'll fit but I can guarantee you God won't like what you have to say when installing them and working around them. Their a PITA to put it mildly. If you can in any means afford the Doug's get them. Tons easier to work on and no ground clearance issues.

kool thanks guys and off subject but since im getting headers i heard i can get a factory starter from a dakota a caravan that are smaller then my factory one and it would work any idea.....

Yes, a MoPar starter, the mini ones, work very well and the headers are clearanced to allow them. (tti's for sure, I beileve the Dougs allow them as well, just not a 100% sure on it though.)

I have one from a 88 Dakota on my scamp, with headman headers, but there are guys on here running up to 96 dodge truck starters, all the same, I don't think a caravan starter will work tho, because the ones I've seen anyway, the bolt holes are off.

Mark

Hey man, I have a 73 Duster slant 6 to 360.... i have the hedmans and they SCRAPE like a Mother! Went through 3 header gaskets so far on the passenger side only. They suck to work around, the flanges are thin (mine is so warped you can see it). The hookers are gonna be the same quality for that cheap price.... Oh yea painful to install....Have to lift the motor out on each side to get them in.... I am saving for the Doug's, way worth it!

On the Doug's Headers, I also have a ?

Summits website does not have a 73 duster listed for the Doug's Application guide.... Will they fit the S6- V8 conversion in a 73 Duster w/ Shumacher swap kit?

so the 88 dakota starter is smaller then are stock one?

since you live in Riverside you should go to the FALL FLING on the 30th of this month. It is in Van Nuys... I picked up a mini starter, Talked the guy down to $40 for a rebuilt one. Still works great! Plus I am sure there will be a yard sale vendor with a pair of headers for cheap! it's worth the drive! Good Luck

Brian

Hey man, I have a 73 Duster slant 6 to 360.... i have the hedmans and they SCRAPE like a Mother! Went through 3 header gaskets so far on the passenger side only. They suck to work around, the flanges are thin (mine is so warped you can see it). The hookers are gonna be the same quality for that cheap price.... Oh yea painful to install....Have to lift the motor out on each side to get them in.... I am saving for the Doug's, way worth it!

Summits website does not have a 73 duster listed for the Doug's Application guide.... Will they fit the S6- V8 conversion in a 73 Duster w/ Shumacher swap kit?

Actually the Hookers are a little better than the Headman's. Headman's use a 5/16" flange and Hookers are 3/8" flange. Headman's use 18 gauge tubing where-as Hookers are 16 gauge. So the Hooker's are slightly better built. That's the only diff. though. Their still the same ole knuckle busting, pavement dragging design. I have Hookers on mine and hate them. Have to keep the torsion bars cranked up a little higher than I like so they don't drag so much. I also had a buddy weld a 3/16" thick skid plate to the bottom of the drivers side header. At least now when it drags it's not eating into the pipe.

I have a pair of ceramic super comps on the shelf here, in the box, one has been halfway put on........... And have put headers on two seperate A bodies of mine since I was 16.........

I didn't even get them insalled before I decided to go a different route.

One of these days I'll get up the nerve to sell them to somebody.... LOL

They fit. the Dougs site is pretty bad. It used to say or still does that they don't fit with a 727... that's wrong.

Woops, Changing another gasket this morning... I am glad I stock theses things. scraped last night again!

Wow thanks for the info I already purchased the hooker headers just so I can get the 318 in and get some dual exhaust made then ill have to save up for some dougs or tti lol and I might have to go to the spring fling I heard its pretty Kool

Doug's are also equal length.... I do not know if the Hookers are... so if you get the Dougs in the future, the exhaust may not bolt right up.... I just looked under my buddys dart w/ dougs on it.

Speedotann is correct. Hooker collecter is in a different location than Dougs or tti's so you'll have to make adjustments when switching over.

Hey i was looking thru my summits catalog and they are selling these block hugger shorty headers. It says it fits small blocks but in truck applications. Any one try these on an a-body???? This could be a great solution!!!

Hey i was looking thru my summits catalog and they are selling these block hugger shorty headers. It says it fits small blocks but in truck applications. Any one try these on an a-body???? This could be a great solution!!!

I read posts where guys have tried them but they won't clear the steering box in an A-body. Trucks have the steering box down low out of the way, unlike cars.

Cool, those hedman tight tubes look great, ha ha ha you should be making commission, looks like you sold a few pairs already. Thanks for the heads up im gonna look into ordering them...................

-
Back