A body louvers

-
Maybe one of you guys should get ahold of Leanna (Cudachick 1968) and get a quote on the powdercoating, maybe a group rate would apply here.
BTW, the louvers look good! :cheers: Cudos to you 74 duster for taking the time to develop them. I believe there would be a good market for them if the price is reasonable.
Good luck,
Tom.

What a cool idea! Gotta love the innovators!!!!!

Keep me in the production loop 74 Duster. I'll help in any way I can.

CudaChick-
Do you have to have a set in your hands to give me a price? Or can you get a ball park number by looking at the pics.
The material has not been determined for sure yet. My painter says he would prefer me to use stock that the manufacture has already painted. Then he would paint over that. Is that the case with powdercoating as well, or would you rather the stock have nothing on it?
Also, I haven't gotten the details ironed out yet for packaging and shipping. These will probably be expensive to ship because of their bulky nature. If that's the case it may not be cost effective to add another shipping cost to the process.
I would be happy to talk about these things with you. My biggest concern is getting a good quality product out there without having to charge an arm and a leg for it.
Feel free to PM me and maybe we can sort some of these things out.

Rob

Rob, it's not necessary to have the louvers in hand for a price quote; all your photos are very helpful.

Powder coating lasts longer and adheres best when shot over bare media-blasted metal stock so clean production pieces would be best for me.

If you go with painting, something to consider is that your guy will be painting right over any chipping, gouges or mars in the base coat that occur during normal production. There's no tactful way to say it other than it will be pretty obvious up close that your finish may be less than perfect -- I have no doubts that some of your customers will prefer an out-of-the-box-installation rather than first going through the hassle of cleaning up the paint job to save those points at future car shows.

Another option is to offer a good / better / best end product. Some customers might want bare metal so they can customize it and do as much of it themselves as they can (good), others can do mechanical work but avoid painting and finishing like the plague (better), and the rest would love it to install itself once they take it out of the box (best).

If you decide to get these setups powder coated and want to save your customers as much shipping cost as possible, I'd be willing to coat them per the customer's specs and ship them direct. Of course, the first few would go to you to make sure you're happy with the quality ... but I also know that if YOU don't look good showing off my work, I don't look good either so you wouldn't have to worry about shoddy workwomanship lol!!! (One thing I tell customers is that if I wouldn't put my work on my own car, I'd never ask them to put it on theirs. The same applies to your louvers.)

Rob, please feel free to give me a call at your convenience (or PM me with your number and I'll call you) so we can work out the details whenever you're ready.

Is THAT really the best you can do? :bootysha:

Just kidding, bro. :-D They look really good. :cheers: I like the idea of a filler panel. I think that will finish it off nicely. Powder coat mine semi-gloss black.

Wylde1.

003.jpg

Depending on the cost, I would also be interested in a set. They look awesome. Keep up the awesome work.

Here are some pics with the filler panel installed for those of you who are interested in it. I will try to make it as a separate item so it can be used or not, as you see fit.

You know what? Standing here looking at the car, I think that filler panel would make a good signature piece for a car. You know, a place for a name, or a saying, or maybe some artwork, and it wouldn't be messing with your expensive paint job. Let me know what you think.

Got a PM from CudaChick. I will be talking with her more when I get a little closer to production. She sounds like a good person to do business with, and I have seen a lot of comments from members of this website who are more than satisfied with her work.

Have a new brake now, and the thicker material should be in some time this week (not a stock item, had to order it). I hope to have a usable set made by this time next week.

The scope of this project has gone way beyond what I originally expected, and so has the time involved, but the louvers are going to be a good quality addition to anyones car. And progress is being made on a daily basis.

Rob

PDR_0693.jpg

PDR_0694.jpg

PDR_0695.jpg

wowthey look great ill keep an eye on this thread would like a set for my 74 duster keep up the good work

I really like the filler piece. These are coming along great. Do you have any Idea at all on what the price will be? $500 range? Keep up the awesome work.

Can I get an inside shot? I would like to see what the view looks like from the rear view mirror.

Right now, all I can tell you about price is that I will keep it as low as I can, while still providing good a quality product.
Pics from the inside is a good idea. I will do that as soon as I can. With the days getting shorter, I may not have enough light when I get home from work. If that's the case, I will take some this weekend.

Rob

I took a couple of pics from the inside tonight after work, but they just don't come out very well. Probably a lighting problem I guess.
I can tell you though, when the louvers are installed, they do not block your vision. Imagine 5 strips across your field of vision that are only .060 of an inch thick. You can see them, but they are very low key and do not obstruct your view. The filler panel is more visable of course, but is low enough that it does not cause a problem.

Rob

74'
I've ben watching this thread for a while now and I have to say for someone who has never done this before you are making great strides.
May I suggest a few things.
If you put a central crease in the pieces you effectively cut the span in half. You also should try rolling and flattening the trailing edge which will stiffen the piece.
May I ask if they could be had with or without the filler piece. The Missile has a third tail/stop light in that location.
Also you should as cuda chick suggested offer them finished and unfinished price adjusted. I would want one that I could have the black metal flake shot on.
Over all you are doing a great job and product development is tough.
The only fit issue that catches my eye is the top corners, they should be a little tighter.
Keep it up
Andrew

missile-
Thank you for your comments, they are really appreciated.
I have been experimenting with different ways of stiffening the louvers, and haven't come up with the right answer yet. I want a certain look for the finished product, and will keep working at it until I get it right.
My goal with the filler piece is to make it an option. I know some will want it and some will not, so I am doing my best to make it optional.
I agree about having a choice on the finish, and I plan to have it that way.
You are right about product development. It seems like the closer I get, the longer each step takes.
You are also right about the corners, they will fit better on the finished units.

I haven't had a lot to say for a few weeks on this thread, but that is only because I am busy getting things the way they should be, before selling anything. I would like to be taking orders soon, but I would rather wait and make sure everything is right first.

Once again, thanks for the comments and your patience. My goal is for these to be attractive, easy to install, and affordable. I will stay on it until that happens.

Rob

looking good! yea add me to the list...satin black? (however the stock one would have been). With filler plate.

These are just great for keeping the sun off of my package tray!

I hope you are able to make these and sell them. Smart to team up woth Leanna...the Best of the Best!

Aloha!

Rob, the more I read from you, the more impressed I am. Our previous communications have been very favorable and we're on the same page on everything so far! It looks like a match made in MoparHeaven. If you want to get one of the prototypes done (to make sure there are no warpage issues on the thin metal) and for a basic color check, I'm ready when you are.

Thanks for the kudos too dfnsmn34 ... you always bring a smile to my face as one of my favorite online friends and customers to deal with (but ssshhhhh don't tell the other guys LOL).

Louvers won't work on my Fastback but I think I'm as excited as the rest of these guys are to see them hit production. It's a top notch, professional effort that deserves applause!

I'm afraid I haven't made much progress. I took them to a local fab shop to get a price on shearing the pieces and maybe do some of the brake work. After two (or was it three?) weeks with no response, I brought them back home.
In the mean time, I had put the Duster in the garage to pull the motor, fix a couple issues, and put it back in. The issues have been taken care of and the motor and trans are sitting in the car (not ready to go, just sitting on the mounts).
Then on Friday the 13th, my Dad passed away. I haven't had a lot of garage time since then.
My brother (Hadahemi) and I had already made a deal on a 1940 Plymouth PT105, and it got to my driveway right after Dad died. It is a very cool truck that is all original. I think Dad would have liked it, he always enjoyed the cars and projects that my brother and I get involved in.
Anyway, things are slowly getting back to normal, and as they do, I will get more accomplished. I have to get the Duster going so I can get it out of the garage, otherwise I have no place to work on the louvers.
I don't have a time frame in mind at this point. I really wanted to have the louvers for sale in time for Christmas, but that won't happen now. I am going to take things as they come for a little while, and I have not forgotten or given up on the louvers. They will just take a little longer than I planned.

Rob

I'm afraid I haven't made much progress. I took them to a local fab shop to get a price on shearing the pieces and maybe do some of the brake work. After two (or was it three?) weeks with no response, I brought them back home.
In the mean time, I had put the Duster in the garage to pull the motor, fix a couple issues, and put it back in. The issues have been taken care of and the motor and trans are sitting in the car (not ready to go, just sitting on the mounts).
Then on Friday the 13th, my Dad passed away. I haven't had a lot of garage time since then.
My brother (Hadahemi) and I had already made a deal on a 1940 Plymouth PT105, and it got to my driveway right after Dad died. It is a very cool truck that is all original. I think Dad would have liked it, he always enjoyed the cars and projects that my brother and I get involved in.
Anyway, things are slowly getting back to normal, and as they do, I will get more accomplished. I have to get the Duster going so I can get it out of the garage, otherwise I have no place to work on the louvers.
I don't have a time frame in mind at this point. I really wanted to have the louvers for sale in time for Christmas, but that won't happen now. I am going to take things as they come for a little while, and I have not forgotten or given up on the louvers. They will just take a little longer than I planned.

Rob

Hey Rob sorry to hear about your dad and hang in there..... Can I see some pics of the truck...

I left my camera in my work car, which I won't have back until sometime next week. I'll get some pics loaded up for you then.

Rob

Hello Rob, Although I have not posted to this thread before, I have been following it for the louver build you've been working on. Great job 8)

Really sorry about your Dad. Condolences to you and your family..... tough time of year to lose a loved one.

May be a few days till Rob gets his camera back, so I'll throw in a couple pics from my cell phone. The first two are of the '40 Plymouth truck we just picked up, and I thought I may as well share a couple others from his garage. One is of his 413 with a 8-71 sitting on it, and the other is his 440 with the longrams. Enjoy.

phnasst09 138.jpg

phnasst09 136.jpg

phnasst09 115.jpg

phnasst09 132.jpg

Thanks for the pics Gary. When I get my camera back, maybe I can get the wheels blacked out before the next round of pics. That green just doesn't look right on that black truck.

Rob

Thanks, we think it's pretty cool too. I couldn't make the deal on this one, so Hadahemi jumped in and saved the day! It might just go back and forth between my driveway and his for a while, until one or both of us decides what type of ride we want it to be. Until then, it is a very cool stocker.

-
Back