A-body trade for a B-body???

-

Slappy

Reaction score
I think I know how this is going to end up. Anyway here it goes. I have a guy who wants to trade my 70 Duster for his 72 sattlelite [spelling?] Both of our cars are very nice. My car is badged as a 340 clone and his is badged as a roadrunner. I have two other a-bodies in the stable. I thought something different might be in order. Do you think they are similar in value? I dont want to post his picture without his permission. But anyway. His car has a 400 basically stock look with bucket seats and column shift. It has ralley wheels and new paint ect. Very nice ride. I have never owned a B-body before. This car is kind of odd looking. But it is growing on me. Which one will likely hold its value? His is #s matching mine is not.

I would, but the '71-'72 satellites are some of my favorites. If you already have an A or two why not?

I am thinking the same way. Any other opinions out there???

slappy i have never seen your duster in person but i know the guy and the car you are talking about. i know alot of time and effort was spent on his car. i also saw his car from what it started out as to what it is now. you would not even belive it. it is a very solid car all around. it is his pride and joy. i honestly think without being biased his is the better car. again i have not seen your car in person but i have seen the pics. clone for clone throw that both out. what is left is numbers matching. that will help value alot in my opinion.

72Demon I truly believe his car is nice also. Just not used to a different car. If his is the better car why would he want to get rid of it for something different? I know who you are now. Nice car by the way. Here is mine. One more question how can you possibly make an opinion on my car if you have not seen it?

068.JPG

br## is a cool guy. he does get bored with his toys after a while though. he is a racer in his heart so maybe this part of your car appeals to him?? don't really know on this one. i had just heard about this the weekend you came down so i was in the dark about the whole deal. again i have not seen your car so i am not trying to judge it. i just figured if you throw out the "clone" aspect of both cars then the tipping factor has to be the numbers matching drivetrain. nothing personal at all.

In my opinion I have never been much on numbers matching cars. Doesnt really matter to me. I like to build them the way I like em. What really matters to me is if I like the car or not. I have also sunk a ton of money in my Duster. It will be hard to part with. I am still laboring over it. Maybe I should forget about it and keep the Duster. 7demon2 what can you tell me about the satellite?

Not taking anything personal. I asked for opinions so I am all ears. Br## is a very honest person. I am not trying to go behind his back. I am just trying to get some un-biased opinions. I tend to get caught up in the moment and sometimes need to stand back and take another look from a different view.

In my opinion I have never been much on numbers matching cars. Doesnt really matter to me. I like to build them the way I like em. What really matters to me is if I like the car or not. I have also sunk a ton of money in my Duster. It will be hard to part with. I am still laboring over it. Maybe I should forget about it and keep the Duster. 7demon2 what can you tell me about the satellite?

well i remember it was a clean car. no rust, was in really good shape. had a vinal top. was an a/c car. i believe it was a bench seat car to begin with could be wrong...it always ran good even from when he first got it. took about a year or 2 to restore to its present condition. i know he has never had any trouble with it. he has been through the motor but i do not remember what he did to it. maybe just the top side, can't remember. we have been to a few shows with him in it. even maryland at mir. don't know what else to say..

Thats cool just wondering. I think he is as nervous as I am about trading.

What other A-bodies do you have?V8,s,condition?If you have anothe A-body in good condition,I say go for it!My 2 cents.I,m going by the earlier disscusion about the Satelite,s condition.How about some pics. of the B-body?

all i have are some older pics of it (3 yrs ago). it looks better now and is completly finished compaired to these. it now sports the correct $72 rr grill$ as well. those things aint cheap! here you go.....

DSC01228.JPG

DSC01231.JPG

DSC01232.JPG

DSC01234.JPG

I would trade your Duster for that car in a heartbeat! Both are very nice, but I love that style B body, especially in black!

Whew! Tuff call slappy. While the A body will feel nimbler by compare, the flip side is the B body has a heavier feel to it. It's ride is a quiter one with a more stable feel to it. You shouldn't really hear the road noise and rocks hitting the wheel wells and under carriage.

I own a 74 Duster and a 79 Dodge Magnum, also a B body and the last of them. It also, now has a 400 in it.

I read your original question,I read the posts.Doesn't it really come down to which one you want?Yours is a neat position to be in really-even if you try something new with the 'B',you also have 2 other 'A's!But I don't think it matters how many backups you have,you need to look at just those 2 cars and ask-which one do I like better?

No matter which decision you make, somewhere down the road you are going to kick yourself in the a$$ for it. They are both very nice cars and have thier own merits. That year Satelite has always been one of my favorites and your Duster is awesome looking. I don't think you could go wrong with either decision. Maybe its time to flip a coin and see where fate takes you.

Wow thanks for the advise guys. It is a hard call to make. I agree his car also is very nice. Both him and I have been torn about what to do. I think he might be ready. I am just not used to the B-body look since I have owned A-bodies only. I just want both of us to be happy with our decision. I am thinking of offering to switch cars for a day so that both of us could just have a chance to look things over. I dont mean take each car apart or even really drive it. Merely just to look them over without having to be rushed. What do you think? Think its necessary? Here are some pix of the other two A-bodies I have.

161.JPG

Dodge Demon (22).JPG

I wouldn't think twice - especially since you have 2 of the exact same body styes at home.

If it comes down to value, even though it's not a real Road Runner, if it's an original BB car w/ original drivetrain, I'd say it's easily worth $5k more than a comparable-condition A-body. B-bodies are worth more - it's just the nature of the beast. They're more desireable in the market, and even though it's a Satellite, it's an original BB car.

BTW - as a huge fan of 68-70 B-bodies, I have to say that the 71-72 Plymouth B-body is a sexy damn car - I would love to have one.

without knowing too much about the details of either car, other than what you provided, this, IMO, a ballpark value:

70 Duster 340 clone - $9-$12k (in excellent condition)
BB B-body RR clone, NOM drivetrain - $15-$20k (in excellent condition)

NO WAY...now if it were a '68-'69 road runner that would be different,especially wouldn't do it seeing as the '72 has a "dog" 400 in it..Keep the duster!!!

I think that is a personal desision (no I can't spell that word). Many factors involved,- like condition, value,personal preference, and sentimental value. I think it is important to listen to what everyone is saying then do as you want. In the end you have to live with your choose. Good luck and be happy.

-
Back