A/C Removed...now what?

-

MCMLXXI

Reaction score
Years ago, the PO removed the A/C from my 71 Swinger. In doing so, he also removed the vents below the dash and left this ugly monstrosity. I have lived with it up until now, since I am redoing the car, I want to figure out how to make this look a bit better. Functioning A/C is not an issue, I just want to know how to make this look better.

Is it possible to remove this part of the unit and leave the heater, or is this an all in one unit? How about some kind of cover for this? Looking for suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

AC_Front.jpg

I removed one from a 70 Swinger I used to have - can't remember if the AC unit was separate from the heater. I do know that the factory air I'm adding to my 65 GT convert and wagon is a 2 piece unit. To remove you've got 4 or 5 nuts on the engine side of the firewall, control cables, defroster vent tubes and it should come on out. It's not the lightest unit in the world. Hope this helps.

Years ago, the PO removed the A/C from my 71 Swinger. In doing so, he also removed the vents below the dash and left this ugly monstrosity. I have lived with it up until now, since I am redoing the car, I want to figure out how to make this look a bit better. Functioning A/C is not an issue, I just want to know how to make this look better.

Is it possible to remove this part of the unit and leave the heater, or is this an all in one unit? How about some kind of cover for this? Looking for suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Early A body fresh air boxes are different (I salvaged one just in case I someday wanted AC), it’s a good bet later A body’s are too.

You may be able to modify the box that you have and eliminate the AC stuff but the job would be difficult with the unit in the car. The units are a royal PITA to remove and the plastic is brittle, so you need to be careful.

There is an article on line that will help you avoid some pitfalls but its not an AC unit: http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/...ymouth_valiant_heater_box_assembly/index.html

Good Luck

The A/C/heat is all one unit (2pieces) you will have to block that off or find a heat only unit. I would just find the vent that goes on there, much easier. I use mine just to circulate air when it's not hot enough for the A/C.
What part of Spokane are you in? Lived there for 45 yrs before moving to TX
Bruce

My 68 Barracuda came apart in two pieces . But as BWDART said you would have to block off the opening where the two connect or find a heat only unit.

Word of advice here.... If you do decide to remover the A/C heater box assembly and install a heater box only, the firewalls are different between A/C & non-A/C cars!!!!!!!! The opening for the blower motor and some of the mounting bolts are spaced differently.

I installed a non-A/C heater box in my car and had to fabricate a new collar for the blower motor so it all sealed up against the firewall:

This is how the non-A/C heater box fits into an A/C firewall...
CarStuff068-vi.jpg

Here's a comparision of the stock A/C blower motor plate on the left, and the new one I fabbed up with a sealing gasket:
Barracuda300-vi.jpg

Once installed it's kind of hard to notice the new blower motor trim plate.
Barracuda320-vi.jpg

Once the engine is in and all the accessories are installed, who can tell?
DSC00004-vi.jpg

Thanks everyone!

I think I will save myself a bit of time and effort and fab up a nice cover for the evaporator housing just to make it look a bit better.

Fastback 340
Can you provide more specific info on the trim plate?
Outside diameter?
Gauge of the steel?
Gasket material?

By the way it looks great and looks to be a simple fix for the problem that many of us have.

Why not just put the A/C vents back in?
I removed all the underhood A/C components from my '71 Dart GT, but left the interior stuff (still need heat at the beginning & end of the cruising season).
Check the parts wanted section for the A/C vents (usually around $30).

I can understand wanting to remove the box. However, I really like having fully functional heat/ac and defrost. Even cruising around today, humid, windows down ac on is real comfortable.

-
Back