A few minutes in the life of a Detroiter

-
Reaction score
Monday afternoon, having taken nearly 500 pictures at the North American International Auto Show (on a press pass; my initial coverage of Chrysler's press conference is up on Allpar with odd page formatting), I had about half an hour before a meeting, so I thought I'd go back across the street to the parkade and get something out of my car that I needed to send in a FedEx box. I left Cobo Center by one of the side doors. Across the sidewalk from the base of the steps was a man half-kneeling/half-sitting, rocking back and forth in the bitter cold. He had a crude patch -- long overdue for changing -- over one eye and a "Please help thank you" sign in his hands. There was an empty cup in front of him. He wasn't speaking to any passers-by, and he wasn't in anybody's way. He was crouched between a signpost and a bollard; nobody walks there.

I'd left my coat at the coat check inside, for I was only going across the street. A short walk, but a very cold one. On the way back, I stopped at the crouching man, looked him in the eye and said "Sir, can I buy you something to eat?" He said "If you'd like to, that'd be great, thanks." I said "What would you like? Sandwich or something?" He said "Sure…er…actually, a coffee would be even better." I said "Sure. What do you take?" Cream and sugar.

I went in and bought a large coffee with cream and sugar, paid with a twenty, wrapped the change around the coffee cup, grabbed a napkin, and brought it all out to him. Introduced myself. His name was Todd. We talked for a minute or so and then he said "Here comes a cop. I'll have to go." Sure enough, the cop came over and said "How long were you planning on staying here?" Todd said "I was just leaving, Officer." The cop said "What a good idea. You can't be impeding pedestrians." I said "Officer, he didn't get in my way, or even speak to me. He looked cold, so I bought him that coffee." The cop said "You're talking to him now, aren'tchya? That means he's impeding a pedestrian, whether intentionally or not. It doesn't pay to be nice here." I said "Oh!" The cop said "Where are you from?" I said "Toronto." He said "Yeah, well, we do things differently here. If you don't like it, you can apply to be a Detroit cop." I said "Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was telling you how to do your job." The cop said, mostly to Todd but partly to me, "Yeh, well. So you were just leaving, you said. If I come back around and you're still here, somebody's getting a ticket or going to jail."

A couple hours later when I left the building again, this time for the day, Todd was back in the same place. I talked with him for a couple minutes, keeping an eye out for cops. He said there was a program for homeless people to get canned food, but this time of year it freezes so they can't eat it. Somebody brought some kerosene heaters, so now those who got one can eat when they get canned food. Presumably they can also be marginally less likely to freeze to death. No word on what happens when the kerosene runs out.

Yeah, yeah, I know. In the Greatest Country Ever in the Whole World™ we gotta present the illusion of universal prosperity, gotta keep the icky Have-nots outta sight to prevent any icky questions occuring to any Haves. But believe you me, this is the story I'm going to tell the next time I see some nitwit claiming America is a Christian country.

Poor Todd. I hope he finds help. Good of you to make the jesture. It was a Christian thing to do.

Poor Todd. I hope he finds help. Good of you to make the jesture. It was a Christian thing to do.

x2

While I know that there are cases of people being harrased by homeless people, I think many times a simple gesture like yours can mean all of the difference.

I don't like giving money to people bumming it on the streets ( mostly because I never have cash on me ) but usually try to offer to buy them a sandwich or a coffee or something along those lines.

When you give to the poor and people in need you give to Christ. Thank you Dan for being kind to people in need. I make it a point to help those in need myself. God bless you Dan. Christopher

There was just a local guy who hit the headlines claiming to be poor and homeless. he would park at the back of the Walmart parking lot and stand there all day by the door with some sort of pathetic sign. Turns out the guy had a night job making 40k+ a year and made about $400 a day in cash donations standing at the door to Walmart.
Sorry, I never give them a dime.

Very, very sad. I know police become jaded by the things they see...but how could anyone be so cruel to a downtrodden person? In many cases it is only a matter of circumstances that separates a comfortable life from homelessness. Thank you Dan for the kindness you showed a fellow human being.

Thank you, Dan.
Something we should all remember: "There but for the grace of God...."

See now I have insight into you Dan and I like what I see.It doesnt take a christain to help a fellow man,it takes a person with a caring soul.You made a difference.And thats what counts. As for the police,well he has a job to do. Unfortunatley haves regard have nots as a public nuisance and seeing how they make the laws,guess what?.Any other attitude would require a concience and you cant get rich with one of those nasty things. Heaven forbid your rolls royce should get finger prints on it...holy hell better lock em up before they steal the hubcaps.

All I can say in this regard is that there is a ton of money spent on the US military program. Being in the military helps create homlessness once thier out. Some poor shellshocked souls never recover thier abilty to function in society and become lost/homeless. I know there must be many of these individuals on the street,along with families,etc due to these uncertain times.Im not trying to say all vets end up this way,not at all. But there are some,and I wanted to make a comparison to help establish money priorites here.

And yet every move made by a govt to help them is called communism as it takes tax dollars to do it. Those that must pay cry foul. Even an attemt to establish a health care system and reduce suffering is met with the same thing.

Communism takes away things like your right to information,free speech and education. It doesnt help create a soup kitchen or bread line.

God is the final judge. We will all stand before him eventually and will have to face every last person we hurt.We have lost track of this in this money crazed world.

One bitter policeman doesn't dictate the embodiment of a nation. I gave an old vet in an army blanket ten bucks one Christmas morning.while on vacation in fl. while visiting my family. It was 20 in Orlando that morning. To this day my wife and I think Christ tested me that day.I believe he walks among us.

Meaning no offense or to take sides. There are two sides to every situation and for every city. The same scenario plays out in Montreal (similar story only 2 years ago) and in most countries. I am sorry for all the Todds in the world and God knows there are too many. Many people try their best to help. There are also the "Todds" that once you approach you are robbed and in an incident at the Mall of America ramp in Minnesota a women opening up here purse for a "Todd" was car jacked, raped, and murdered. I wish Todd better times. I thank you for taking the time to try to help him.

way to go Dan!

rather you can change a persons life or not.....changing someones day can mean alot....and atleast you were able to help in some form.

agreed, not everyone on the street is kind or a good willed person.....some have no one but them selves to blame for being in the situation they are in and some of them choose drugs and alcohol over things of higher meaning.

but not every one of them is the same ,some of them may have been hit really hard by the economic times and were just not able to dig out of it.

being from michigan myself (southern MI) its a shame to see detroit for what it is now after knowing what it was in its glory days.

there are not many homeless people who are visibly in public or on the streets in my area but from time to time you see one of them.

I remember when I was about 15 years old.....a few friends and I were driving up and down the " AVE " and we seen a homeless guy on the side of the street with a sign....my friends were all poking fun at him as we drove past him.

I sat quietly until we got a mile down the street when I finally said to my buddy who was driving , "you know what, turn around real quick".....so we did and we stopped and asked the guy if he needed anything and I was going to give him a few $$$ but he almost looked like he might have been an alcoholic so I said to him...."stay right here would ya"......and I told my buddy to drive up the street to the burger king.....we went through the drive through and I got a few burgers and a drink and what not and we headed back to the guy and I gave him the food.....he was very thankful for it and I almost want to say that his thank you might have been a little more thankfull knowing that the money was used to get him a meal rather than to maybe go waste on a 5th of booze or something.

I try to put in change at the buckets every christmas, drop my change in the change jars at counters of stores from time to time.....its not much but I try to do even just a little part to help.

way to go again dan, good to know people care!

Monday afternoon, having taken nearly 500 pictures at the North American International Auto Show (on a press pass; my initial coverage of Chrysler's press conference is up on Allpar with odd page formatting), I had about half an hour before a meeting, so I thought I'd go back across the street to the parkade and get something out of my car that I needed to send in a FedEx box. I left Cobo Center by one of the side doors. Across the sidewalk from the base of the steps was a man half-kneeling/half-sitting, rocking back and forth in the bitter cold. He had a crude patch -- long overdue for changing -- over one eye and a "Please help thank you" sign in his hands. There was an empty cup in front of him. He wasn't speaking to any passers-by, and he wasn't in anybody's way. He was crouched between a signpost and a bollard; nobody walks there.

I'd left my coat at the coat check inside, for I was only going across the street. A short walk, but a very cold one. On the way back, I stopped at the crouching man, looked him in the eye and said "Sir, can I buy you something to eat?" He said "If you'd like to, that'd be great, thanks." I said "What would you like? Sandwich or something?" He said "Sure…er…actually, a coffee would be even better." I said "Sure. What do you take?" Cream and sugar.

I went in and bought a large coffee with cream and sugar, paid with a twenty, wrapped the change around the coffee cup, grabbed a napkin, and brought it all out to him. Introduced myself. His name was Todd. We talked for a minute or so and then he said "Here comes a cop. I'll have to go." Sure enough, the cop came over and said "How long were you planning on staying here?" Todd said "I was just leaving, Officer." The cop said "What a good idea. You can't be impeding pedestrians." I said "Officer, he didn't get in my way, or even speak to me. He looked cold, so I bought him that coffee." The cop said "You're talking to him now, aren'tchya? That means he's impeding a pedestrian, whether intentionally or not. It doesn't pay to be nice here." I said "Oh!" The cop said "Where are you from?" I said "Toronto." He said "Yeah, well, we do things differently here. If you don't like it, you can apply to be a Detroit cop." I said "Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was telling you how to do your job." The cop said, mostly to Todd but partly to me, "Yeh, well. So you were just leaving, you said. If I come back around and you're still here, somebody's getting a ticket or going to jail."

A couple hours later when I left the building again, this time for the day, Todd was back in the same place. I talked with him for a couple minutes, keeping an eye out for cops. He said there was a program for homeless people to get canned food, but this time of year it freezes so they can't eat it. Somebody brought some kerosene heaters, so now those who got one can eat when they get canned food. Presumably they can also be marginally less likely to freeze to death. No word on what happens when the kerosene runs out.

Yeah, yeah, I know. In the Greatest Country Ever in the Whole World™ we gotta present the illusion of universal prosperity, gotta keep the icky Have-nots outta sight to prevent any icky questions occuring to any Haves. But believe you me, this is the story I'm going to tell the next time I see some nitwit claiming America is a Christian country.
First of all the following does not necessarily represent my point of view or how I conduct myself and it will sound pessimistic I am sure, but the only person you helped that day was yourself. A good swift kick in the seat and/or a gruff "Get a JOB!" would have been just as effective. But you did a good thing and are the better man for it.

Certainly an interesting wide range of opinions here. Thanks for the compliments and all. A few replies:

• I do not believe in Jesus or in god, if by "god" we mean the big white-bearded guy sitting in the cosmic driver's seat steering and shifting gears and handing out penalties to those who eat the wrong foods, say the wrong prayers, or sleep with the wrong people.* I did what I did not because god said I'd better, but because the guy was cold and I have it better than he does; at the end of the day I would be getting in a nice car and listening to MP3s all the way back up the highway to a nice warm home stocked with plenty of food and a comfy bed -- he would not. Which means I also did it partly for myself. I admit that. But if it had been just for myself, I would've just given him 50¢ or maybe a dollar and thus scratched the guilt-itch. The coffee and ten-spot I gave him meant a whole hell of a lot more to him than it did to me, even though I'm going to see it when I balance the books at the end of the month.

•We have professional beggars in Toronto. It's not always easy to distinguish them from genuine desperation from phake, but it often is. There's one who camps out in front of the grocery where I shop. He sells Toronto's version of those "out on the street" newspapers. Rides off at the end of every day on a pretty nice mountain bike he keeps parked far enough away from his campout for most observers not to connect it to him, but close enough to keep an eye on it. He's been at it for many years. He's picked not a very challenging way to make money, but although it's also not an easy way, I don't give him money. He never has the air of desperation about him that Todd did. He's always got clean fingernails; Todd's were the kind of dirty that you don't just casually apply as a ruse in the morning. Was Todd a con artist? I don't think so. I have no way to know for sure, and I don't care.

• I stand by my remark about America not being a "Christian" nation. Not because I'm judging every American (remember, I am a natural-born American citizen), nor because I'm condemning people who make choices different than mine, but because in a truly Christian nation, there would be not be people starving in the streets.

• Telling someone like Todd "Get a job!" might make some feel superior, but it's not realistic. It amounts to saying that people won't have to go hungry any more if they will just eat, or that homelessness can be ended if the homeless will simply rent an apartment or buy a house. More exactly, it is like telling me that because I want a better house than I have, I should simply get a job that pays more. Okeh, sure, yes, that would do it; I would need to go back to school and get at least one more degree. I could do that -- and I may, someday -- it'll take a great deal of time and money, both of which are scarce right now and looking to get scarcer over the next year and a half. I'm fortunate enough to be at a level that gets me by okeh and leaves me with some time and money to play with now and then. Could Todd get a job? I didn't see signs of drug or alcohol use, and he's probably got the skill and talent; he told me he used to own his own company before a not-at-fault crash with an uninsured driver. He didn't have time to tell me the details, and I wouldn't have asked for them -- they aren't my business, and I certainly wasn't about to go asking him to tell me all about how he came to be on the streets. But even if he does have the skill and talent, how do you suppose he could get a job with his eye condition, whatever it might be? With no fixed address, no clean clothes (or fingernails), no clean anything-else? In this economy, in Detroit? That'd take a freakin' miracle. Sometimes life kicks you in the crotch hard enough that you can't just pick yourself up and dust yourself off and keep on keepin' on.

*-I do not mean to imply my nonbelief in Jesus or god is objectively correct or superior to anyone else's different beliefs. My way works well for me in my life, and that's all it has to do. I do not try to push, force or enforce my beliefs on anyone else -- even though it's often tempting to do so -- and I ask only the same in return.

First of all the following does not necessarily represent my point of view or how I conduct myself and it will sound pessimistic I am sure, but the only person you helped that day was yourself. A good swift kick in the seat and/or a gruff "Get a JOB!" would have been just as effective. But you did a good thing and are the better man for it.

although I agree with what you say to a point.

part of me thinks of it as seeing a infant on the side of the road in the middle of winter and a cardboard sign propped next to it that says "please feed me" I don't know about you but i wouldnt walk up to the kid and say " GET A MOM AND DAD!" I would get the kid some dang food and do what I can to help

Dan I appreciate what you did. I was actually homeless not too long ago (I lived in my pickup truck). I think, more than the food or money, it was the conversation with the man that helped more than anything. It's not easy to have any sense of pride when you are homeless. When someone talks to you it lifts yours spirits and makes you feel like you are part of humanity. Detroit is a city with some serious problems, maybe more than anywhere else in the country. Alot of the people that want to help cant afford to do so.
I wish everyone could afford to help just someone get through the day. I do the best I can. Thanks for doing your best!!

thank you Dan,the time that you spent with Todd probably is the most cherished part of the whole ordeal.If we all cared for each other in this manner the world, IMO, would be a truly wonderful experience.

We (humans) have a disease. It's so easy and satisfying and fun and addictive and socially accepted to be mean and express hatred towards our fellows, but so hard and painful and frightening and socially ridiculed and disapproved to express love. It's sad as all hell and self-destructive in the extreme. I don't know what the cure is, or if there is one. I do find myself a leetle happier every day with my decision not to have a television set or otherwise fill my head with gratuitous violence and meaningless sex and endless other varieties of toxic crap.

slantsixdan;1221014• I stand by my remark about America not being a "Christian" nation. Not because I'm judging every American (remember said:
truly[/I] Christian nation, there would be not be people starving in the streets.

There is a big difference between being "Christian" and being "Christ-like". America is a "Christian nation", but as a whole, we are far from being Christ-like. Remember, Jesus wasn't a Catholic, or Baptist, or Lutherin, he was a Jew, and based on his actions, not a very good one. What He was, was compasion and love. What you did was Christ-like, more than Christian. I promise to TRY not to be pushy or preachy, but it's hard for us. The way you wanted to help a guy who is less fortunate, financially, we want to try to help a friend who is less fortunate spiritually, to try and share what we have. I know this will push some buttons, I just want you to know where we are coming from.
I've been burned by "homeless" scammers, but I also like to think I have helped some. Maybe it's just because it makes me feel better, who knows? All I'm really getting at is that a lot of people get so caught up in religion that they lose sight of God, the same way some people get so caught up in giving that they lose sight of who they are giving to and why.

I still say you did a good thing, Dan.

There is a big difference between being "Christian" and being "Christ-like".

That's a very good point. Gandhi said something similar.

America is a "Christian nation"

Nope.

as a whole, we are far from being Christ-like.

Yup.

I promise to TRY not to be pushy or preachy, but it's hard for us. The way you wanted to help a guy who is less fortunate, financially, we want to try to help a friend who is less fortunate spiritually

I appreciate your effort to understand that "less fortunate spiritually" is very much an individual, personal matter without an objective definition. I am not religious, but I am deeply spiritual and quite blessed, for example.

a lot of people get so caught up in religion that they lose sight of God

Amen!

interesting thread.
Cudos to you Dan.

the old adage "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
seems to be too difficult for today's materialistic society to make work.

i too have been scammed by con-artist posing to be homeless,

on lunch break, i went to store. got out of car and a woman walked up to me and asked for 20 bucks so she and the infant in her hands could get a bus ticket back home, as their car broke down. but the way she was pacing, i kinda knew already. i gave her the 20 bucks, went in the store. came out, i did not see her. well as i was pulling out, i see her come out of store with cigs, but no baby. she looks at me, i look at her....... she runs to a car with some thug driving. jumps in and sticks the finger at me!. boy was i heated. but then said to myself, that i had givin to her on my own terms mentally. so what she does with it, who cares. i gave it to her on the assumption of the child in her arms.

now my other point of veiw is this. people chastise others on here for stripping cars. we are called flippers.

i had the same job for 14 years. it went under. and in this economy, my field of work dried up. i chose to either rob,steal to buy food and shelter for my family, or go out and find money the right way. so i choose to "flip". whether it be tools, cars, parts. i buy and sell anything. some times i can make 5 bucks on an item, sometimes i can make 500.00 on something. but i know that everyone thinks"oh, it so easy to buy stuff, then resell it" NO, that is so far from the truth. i may sit on 2,000 dollars into something for months, or put out 1,000 and when the item does sell, maybe make 50 bucks on it. but that 50.00 goes a long way in this tough economy.

i feel that this country is doing pretty good. we all know it is not right to commit crimes, but all these families out there that cannot pay their bills, or have shelter for their children, i give them a free pass to do what is nessacary to supply for their young. i am not saying that anarchy is correct, but what do you exspect them to do/? let them die? no. how can you tell them to get a job, when there is none????????? companies are laying off, left and right.

We (humans) have a disease. It's so easy and satisfying and fun and addictive and socially accepted to be mean and express hatred towards our fellows, but so hard and painful and frightening and socially ridiculed and disapproved to express love. It's sad as all hell and self-destructive in the extreme. I don't know what the cure is, or if there is one.

Very well stated Dan.

Maybe the cure is the random act(s) of kindness like that you showed to Todd.

If we could all have the stones to stand up and "help a brother out" maybe we'd all be better off.

Dan I would like to meet you in person someday. You are a wealth of electrical knowledge and a wonderful human being.

-
Back