A-holes at Autozone

-
IMHO, the problem is not with the Autozone's, Advance's, Pep Boys, etc. it's with anyone going into one of these stores expecting them to have knowledge of a 40 year car. I am continuely amazed at how much stuff I can get for my 68 Barracuda when probally 99% of their business is for 90 and newer vehicles.

I have a (2) NAPA's and an Allied Auto Parts within a couple miles of my house. One of the NAPAs is just like Autozone and the other I have been doing business with since I was a teenager 40 years ago. That NAPA does not stock any parts except tune-up parts for my car and when the order a part it takes about 4 days to get (Autozone and Advance two days). The Allied Auto Parts (been doing business there for 40 year too) stocks even less but if you order it before 9:00am Monday - Friday they will have by mid afternoon the same day. Both the old time NAPA and Allied close at 5:00pm and aren't open on Sunday's, thank god for Advance and Autozone.

There is also a parts store about 10 miles away that specializes in 1980 an older US mad vehicles only, great place and they have most everything for your 60's mopar that is still made any many that aren't. BUT, you will pay twice what you would off the internet, just got king pins and upper/lower suspension bushings from them for my wifes uncles 41 Olds, cost just shy of $300, Kanter had them for $150 but we had the car up on the lift and a part and my uncle opted to get it done then.

Back 40 years ago the folks working in parts stores only need to know about Ford, GM and Chrysler products and things didn't change very often it was easy to be knowledgeable enough for someone not know what you needed with out looking it up. Back then if you had a foreign car you had to go to a parts store that specialized in them, your corner store would laught at you and send you packing. With cars like the Camry topping the new car sales list and the speed at which things dramatically change from model year to model year it is impossible to know about every brand, thank good for the computer systems availble that allow you or them to quickly look up parts by year, brand, model, engine, etc.

Instead of bitching about what used to be why not embrace what you have and work the system. I never walk into Autozone or Advance cold. I always look the parts up on line (they even have pictures to look at), verify if they have the stock online and with Autozone send a pick list to the store so the parts are waiting on the counter when I get there. Light years better than the old days of calling around to every part store in the area looking for a part or standing and waiting while they spend 10-15 minutes flipping through parts books to finally tell they have to order or can't get it.

IMHO, the problem is not with the Autozone's, Advance's, Pep Boys, etc. it's with anyone going into one of these stores expecting them to have knowledge of a 40 year car. I am continuely amazed at how much stuff I can get for my 68 Barracuda when probally 99% of their business is for 90 and newer vehicles.

I have a (2) NAPA's and an Allied Auto Parts within a couple miles of my house. One of the NAPAs is just like Autozone and the other I have been doing business with since I was a teenager 40 years ago. That NAPA does not stock any parts except tune-up parts for my car and when the order a part it takes about 4 days to get (Autozone and Advance two days). The Allied Auto Parts (been doing business there for 40 year too) stocks even less but if you order it before 9:00am Monday - Friday they will have by mid afternoon the same day. Both the old time NAPA and Allied close at 5:00pm and aren't open on Sunday's, thank god for Advance and Autozone.

There is also a parts store about 10 miles away that specializes in 1980 an older US mad vehicles only, great place and they have most everything for your 60's mopar that is still made any many that aren't. BUT, you will pay twice what you would off the internet, just got king pins and upper/lower suspension bushings from them for my wifes uncles 41 Olds, cost just shy of $300, Kanter had them for $150 but we had the car up on the lift and a part and my uncle opted to get it done then.

Back 40 years ago the folks working in parts stores only need to know about Ford, GM and Chrysler products and things didn't change very often it was easy to be knowledgeable enough for someone not know what you needed with out looking it up. Back then if you had a foreign car you had to go to a parts store that specialized in them, your corner store would laught at you and send you packing. With cars like the Camry topping the new car sales list and the speed at which things dramatically change from model year to model year it is impossible to know about every brand, thank good for the computer systems availble that allow you or them to quickly look up parts by year, brand, model, engine, etc.

Instead of bitching about what used to be why not embrace what you have and work the system. I never walk into Autozone or Advance cold. I always look the parts up on line (they even have pictures to look at), verify if they have the stock online and with Autozone send a pick list to the store so the parts are waiting on the counter when I get there. Light years better than the old days of calling around to every part store in the area looking for a part or standing and waiting while they spend 10-15 minutes flipping through parts books to finally tell they have to order or can't get it.

Go to the part store armed with part numbers. Makes life easier.

I agree, just be careful because a lot of the online parts/sku numbers arent the same numbers that are in their system at the stores. I ALWAYS check parts availability online FIRST then I call the store to be sure and I get the persons name I head right up there. Im lucky because the Advance thats 1 minute from me has some really knowlegable people. To me the bottom line is to always call first when its possible.

there is a great NAPA close to where I live and they can get almost anything I need. I ordered all front end new bushings, tie rod ends etc and was told the price and the day (3 days to get them) I was thrilled! I went to pick them up and the bill was 20.00 more, when I questioned "Joe" he told me there was a 20.00 delivery charge! I went to Advanced and got the same parts in 3 days, no delivery fee. I'm sure NAPA still has the parts on his shelf.

there is a great NAPA close to where I live and they can get almost anything I need. I ordered all front end new bushings, tie rod ends etc and was told the price and the day (3 days to get them) I was thrilled! I went to pick them up and the bill was 20.00 more, when I questioned "Joe" he told me there was a 20.00 delivery charge! I went to Advanced and got the same parts in 3 days, no delivery fee. I'm sure NAPA still has the parts on his shelf.
They charge freight on everything that's ordered in , that's not in one of their local warehouses .
Personally , I think they should eat the freight , especially when it comes to parts that should be in stock , or at least readily-accessible !
I see that irritating freight charge on things such as strut mounts ( e.g. , the bearings for the struts that sit-atop the strut ) for a 1999 Corolla !!
Common car , common part .

I find it "strange" that all of the corporate stores must carry lawnmower parts !! These damned things ( air filtres , tune-up kits , blades , etc. ) take-up an incredible amount of room !!
Just more of their white collar "numbers" bullshit ...

Kids nowadays have Honda(fartpipe)tunnel vision.These auto stores should be hiring people with some kind of auto tech history,not just some guys son/daughter that their trying to helpout by paying $6-7 an hour.

Yeah, fuckin kids these days... What if I told you your *** was too old to drive anyway? 8) Don't generalize!!! :-D

There are a lot of worthless autoparts countermen. Most guys that have the skills you want aren't willing to work for the wages that are offered.

There are also a TON of morons that come in as customers. If I had a dollar for everytime I had someone say, "they're all the same," when I asked what year their vehicle was, I'd be rich. I'd rather help someone who admits they don't know what they need than some arrogant jerk who argues and belittles the countermen like they are servants. "I've been working on cars longer than you've been alive." I always liked that one.

I always look up my own parts before I go in. The computer systems are less than accurate, and at least I can do some research on the parts before I go in and it's my fault if I get the wrong ones.

It doesn't matter where I go here, the people behind the counter aren't much help. Napa, Autozone, Schmucks, and Car Quest are about the only choices

I here ya all!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymzh7YAlZng"]YouTube - Space Balls - "ASSHOLES!" {rated 5 stars/very funny}[/ame]

Even when I left the dealers GM & Dodge most of them are not ex mech aka wrench that no much anymore...L)

advance is no better they just let 8 out of 10 go at of store i go too now just kids working you know cheaper workers ! Don't want any know how or what for

There are a lot of worthless autoparts countermen. Most guys that have the skills you want aren't willing to work for the wages that are offered.

There are also a TON of morons that come in as customers. If I had a dollar for everytime I had someone say, "they're all the same," when I asked what year their vehicle was, I'd be rich. I'd rather help someone who admits they don't know what they need than some arrogant jerk who argues and belittles the countermen like they are servants. "I've been working on cars longer than you've been alive." I always liked that one.

I always look up my own parts before I go in. The computer systems are less than accurate, and at least I can do some research on the parts before I go in and it's my fault if I get the wrong ones.

It doesn't matter where I go here, the people behind the counter aren't much help. Napa, Autozone, Schmucks, and Car Quest are about the only choices

When i worked at a parts store in the early to mid 70" I use to love the statement " They're all the same" When someone would ask for valve cover gaskets for a V8 dodge and make that statement I would go back and pull a set of Hemi gaskets, throw them on the counter and they would say" Oh, those don't look like mine" I would tell them sure they are, they're all the same!

When i worked at a parts store in the early to mid 70" I use to love the statement " They're all the same" When someone would ask for valve cover gaskets for a V8 dodge and make that statement I would go back and pull a set of Hemi gaskets, throw them on the counter and they would say" Oh, those don't look like mine" I would tell them sure they are, they're all the same!

That's funny!

A friend of mine had a guy ask him for a water pump for a Chevy truck. My friend asked what year, and the guy bellowed, "they're all the same," so he went to the shelf and grabbed a Chevy six-cylinder water pump from an early 60's truck.

The guy lived 2 hours outside of town. Man, was he pissed when he got home.

He came back and started yelling at my friend, and he said, "you asked for a pump from a Chevy truck, which that is. Are you willing to answer my questions now?"

Heh.

O'Reillys,NAPA,Advance Auto usually fly the ASE symbol in the stores.You would think any place that has the blue seal would know what they are doing.:dontknow:
Just for ***** an giggles,I called Autozone one time and a girl answered and I asked for 2 quarts of "Elbow Grease" and "Midnight Oil" for a 69 Dodge Duster with a rotary engine.After a small silence I could hear her tapping away on the keyboard and she said she cant find anything(and I was about to explode trying to not bust out laughing)

I ran into the same exact scenario at my local Autozone except I needed a kit for a 750 Holley (list 3310) on a 440 in a 74 Challenger of a buddies. He couldn't get it through his rock head that it was aftermarket (I doubt he even knows what aftermarket means). I don't bother going in and asking for parts anymore. I look them up online first then call or go in with the part numbers.

O'Reillys,NAPA,Advance Auto usually fly the ASE symbol in the stores.You would think any place that has the blue seal would know what they are doing.:dontknow:
Just for ***** an giggles,I called Autozone one time and a girl answered and I asked for 2 quarts of "Elbow Grease" and "Midnight Oil" for a 69 Dodge Duster with a rotary engine.After a small silence I could hear her tapping away on the keyboard and she said she cant find anything(and I was about to explode trying to not bust out laughing)

Now that is some funny $HIT!

There are only two stores here I go to. Dust and Son and Auto Accessory. Both are old school stores staffed by guys that were wrenching when A-Bodies were new! The manager of Dust and Son used to tool around with my wife's uncle back in the 60s and 70s. Sure, they may be more expensive, but I've always lived by the motto "You get what you pay for!" I call them before ANYONE else! The only problem is they're not open on weekends. I have to get my parts when I can during the week and PRAY TO GOD that I don't run into any issues during the weekend when wrenching.

How many of us have had an exchange like this:

You, to the guy behind the counter: "I only see one Anco 12-14 wiper refill on the shelf. Could you please check if you have any more?"

Counter guy sez "What year, make and model are you working on?"

You sez "It doesn't matter, I just gave you the part number. Anco 12-14. It's a 14-inch wiper refill like this what I am holding in my hand."

Counter: "I need a year, make and model."

You: "Fine, whatever. It's a 1972 Dodge Dart."

Counter: "Truck or car?"

You: "Dart. It's a car."

Counter: "What engine?"

You: "It doesn't make any difference! They all used the same wiper! Just pick one!"

Counter: "I need to know what engine. Does it have the one ninety eight three point two, the two twenty five three point seven, the three eighteen five point two or the three fifty five point seven?"

You: "There's no such a thing as a 350 in a Dart."

Counter: "Three fifty. Ummm...sorry, we don't have parts for that car."

You: "No, I said it couldn't have a 350 because they never came that way. A 350 is a Chevrolet engine, and this is a Dodge. It has a 225!"

Counter: "OK a 225...and does it have drum or disc brakes?"

You: "It has 14 inch wiper blades. Anco 12-14s. I can see them on the shelf behind you. Over your left shoulder. Can you please just grab me another one to match this what I have placed on the counter in front of you?"

Counter: "Uhhhh...I have to check with my manager...and he's on lunch...I could take down your, like, name and number...I guess...if you really want me to. That would require paper...and, like, a writing thing...we have these really kewl headlight blackouts, they look phat if you want to impress the chizzicks and, like, stuff. They're on aisle four."

You: "<unprintable>"

Counter: "Uhhhh...like...what-EVAH..."

Find a mom and pop parts store if possible... My local "bumper to bumper" is family owned, the guy does me right 100% of the time, hell, sometimes he gives me old stock parts if thay have changed brands, he sold me MOOG balljoints for the china price because he quit selling MOOG.. He worked behind a mopar parts counter for 25+ years and use to own an orange AAR Cuda so he an I get along just fine...

Just because you can take a test doesn't mean you know how to apply the knowledge. The stories I could tell you about working next to ASE certified techs and wound up babysitting...

Not gonna defend or flame anyone here, but I am gonna say to you guys what I keep saying. See what you can do to get an "in" with the commercial parts guys at these stores. My guy at Advance, who I run all of my parts through, is smart enough that if he doesn't know something, he'll ask someone who does. And that includes his manager who's been selling parts for 35+ years.

Most of you guys are running a lot of parts, so why not talk to the manager, explain the situation and see what you can do about getting a commercial style discount? Your discount may only be two bucks on a ten dollar part, but, hey, after a while that adds up to where you can afford something else. The more you buy, the better the discount, too. Plus it eliminates the counter jockeys these stores hire and gets you to the guy (or gal) you really want to do business with.

I expect someone to do their frikkin job, regardless of what it is or what they get paid.

They probably are. Corporate could probablygive a rats *** about our older cars. They are doing as instructed like the rest of the sheep.

And parts stores are only the beginning....
I went to price tires for my trailer the other day and went into one of the local tire stores. I asked what the price would be for 225R75-15 trailer tires. The guy behind the counter pops out the first logical question. What brand is that trailer? When I responded that I made it he said, "I don't think we can help you." Well, the girl standing behind the counter suggested that he look in some section so he started typing again and soon said. I can price radials and conventional. So, I said,"What's the difference?" (Expecting to get information on the price difference) He replies, "Conventional are old school and made with strings that are knitted together kind of like your grandmas sweater and the rubber is stuck to those strings. Radials have steel bands that go all the way around them and the rubber is impregnated throughout the whole tire. With those steel straps and the way the rubber is molded they are a lot better. For a trailer I'd really recommend the the radials because the conventionals give so much sidewall flex your trailer might tend to wander." I think I may have had a look on my face similar to the one he had when I told him the trailer was home made. I said I' would have to think about it a while. He responded. "whatever...." I still haven't got up enough courage to check prices at another tire store so my trailer sits on fairly weather checked skins.

Example two:
I went into Home Depot needing a few things. Some caulk, paint brushes, masking tape, and a step drill bit. When I went in there was a guy with a cart full of drill bits putting them on the rack so rather than disturb him I went and got the other items and came back to the drill bit section. As I rounded the corner of the tool aisle the guy who had been racking the drill bits stops and asks if he can help me. I about fell over to actually have someone voluntarily ask if I needed any help. I said I just wanted to pick up a step bit. He says,"OK. They're right over here." We head away from the tool aisle and go toward the end of the store. I'm wondering why step drills wouldn't be near the regular bits but, hey, this guy works here! We turn down the last aisle and he points out concrete blocks, brackets etc and says,"Everything they have for decks and steps is right in this area."

It never ceases to amaze me that we have come to a point where service and/or quality have become such a rare thing and we accept untrained, unqualified and disinterested personnel as a norm.

-
Back