A-holes at Autozone

-
To be fair, and as many others pointed out, AutoZone, Advance, O'Reilly's, even Dealerships all employ the lowest cost worker they can get away with. 95% of the them are clerks that have never performed any work beyond changing batteries and wiper blades. The most information that they have in locating parts is what the computer tells them and it is organized by year, make and model.

My father worked in the auto parts industry for 25 years. One (of many..) of his pet peeves was people that ask the parts counter person what part they need to purchase to make their car stop doing X. Parts people sell parts. If they have been around the block a few years and are somewhat interested in understanding their job, they can get pretty good at picking out what part is needed due to purchasing trends but they are not diagnosticians. Also keep in mind that most stores carry over 100,000 individual part numbers. Expecting a 19 year old to know all of the applications and uses is a bit over the top.

We, the more knowledgeable of performance and Mopars, need to bring the most information to them to help them get us the right part the first time. Most of us have modified our vehicles in some way, shape, or form, and it is up to us to know what year, make and model the part we need is applicable to so they can find it.

My oldest son works as a store manager at a Autozone. He is one of the people that you would like to have wait on you as he worked turning wrenches at a auto shop that worked on every make and model for 10 years before moving into auto parts sales. He understands not only what the customer is asking for, but also the application of that part and the details like who actually makes that Duralast part and how it is constructed. Here is a few tips for those that shop at Autozone:

1. Always seek out the guy wearing a Gray shirt. Red shirt guys are the ones that unload trucks, stock shelves, sweep floor, and have the least amount of knowledge about the parts they are selling.

2. Bring as much knowledge to the counter that you can. This includes the year, make, and model of the original vehicle the part you need came from. This also includes what their competitor is selling the part for. You can negotiate a price match.

3. Never buy Duralast belts, hoses, or rebuilt power steering pumps. Some of the Water pumps they sell are new. New is better than their rebuilts but is not always the best part. If is hard to change, spend a few extra bucks and buy the name brand part...

4. Advance, Car Quest, and Autozone use many, but not all, of the same part manufacturers. AutoZone just reboxes the parts.

5. Be patient with the person behind the counter. Just because they do not know what the part numbers are for the .15 jet for a Holley or Edelbrock aftermarket carburetor is does not mean they need to be ordered out of the gene pool. It is a chance to make them smarter and we have a responsibility to purvey and educate others on Mopars so we can keep the dream alive of our older, and cooler cars.

thats my $.02 worth.

Jw133489

jw133489

. Always seek out the guy wearing a Gray shirt. Red shirt guys are the ones that unload trucks, stock shelves, sweep floor, and have the least amount of knowledge about the parts they are selling.

Funny that you say that. The guy that was waiting on me was the only gray t-shirt guy in the store!

:-D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5ZkdHImCuQ&ob=av2e"]YouTube - Bill Engvall - Here's Your Sign (Video)[/ame]

these most-recent posts ( and some earlier posts ) regarding Auto Zone , et al. , reinforce my assertion all along : these companies care only about their damned numbers !!!!

I've been in the auto parts business for 16 years now ( primarily at dealerships ) , with 12 of those years spent at dealerships , and 4 of them at formerly-Parts-Plus-but-now-NAPA . There's a common thread between the dealers' parts dept and the non-o.e.m. parts stores : god damned numbers ; retarded management ; careless employees ; and idiot dealership presidents / owners .

Case-in-point :
I worked at a Ford dealership which its parts dept had absolutely huge ( volume and dollar wise ) accounts with L.A. City , L.A. County , MTA ( public bus lines ) , DWP ( Department of Water & Power ) ; police dept repair yards , fire dept , and so on .
Every Friday morning , we'd get huge orders for Crown Vic's ; front and rear bumper covers , mirrors , headlamp assemblies , tail lamp assemblies , trim , wheelcovers , intake manifolds ( those 4.6 litre engines have plastic intakes !!!! ) , and other commonly-lost or damaged parts for the police cars .

On one occasion , the owner of the dealership -- a TRUE idiot -- cruises into the parts dept , and sees all of these Crown Vic parts scattered-about .
First thing out of his mouth : " What are we doing with all of these bumper covers and this other **** ?!?!? We don't stock this **** !!! . Naturally , I chimed in and told him : 'These seemingly random parts are for our biggest accounts ! These aren't going anywhere near our warehouse ! They're for our million-dollar accounts ! '

He just shook his oatmeal-filled head and walked away .

Dumb **** .

My point is : these creatins that "own" , manage , supervise , whatever , these corpoRATe stores only care about numbers ; see the above sample ... that *** hat owner didn't even take the time to realise that the parts weren't for stock ; they were for a huge account .
He was so damned worried that he was going to have to deal with hundreds-of-thousands of dollars in Crown Vic inventory , that he lost sight of the real reason why these parts were there !!

Where I work now , we have :

- Worn out , piece-of-**** vehicles ( many with safety issues ! ) ;
- not enough staff 95% of the time ;
- a district manager who's a real asshole , whom could care less about cars ;
- too many non-automotive-related parts in stock ( lawnmower parts ?!? are you serious ?!? )

Why ?
NUMBERS
Some **** *** 3,000 miles away decided that , what works for one location , in one demographic , must work in every demographic !

And the sad part is that all of our "real" auto parts stores (independents) are gone. Couldn't compete.....and man, that's sad because those guys really knew their stuff AND had plenty of weird old parts still in stock, like carb rebuild kits for a 70's slant six or whatever.....AND they knew what points were....LMAO..

if you ever paid any attention to their commercials, you can tell that they are an equal opportunity employer

Actually, I think "Affirmative Action" employer describes them better. LOL

Our local NAPA has some good old school guys there but the prices are usually wayyy over the other places.
Our Advance is okay, and usually there is this old Ford guy that has tons of classic cars that hangs out there most of the day to kill time and BS to everyone that walks in.
They should put him on the payroll because he is about the only one in the store that knows what is going on there and helps the parts pullers find the "hard" stuff that the computer won't guide them to.
They finally fired this assclown manager that acted like a little kid and if he was not swearing like a dock worker, horseplaying with the staff or making cocky comments to customers, he was on his cell phone arguing with his Wife.
They replaced him with this little, hispanic hottie that actually runs a tight ship but looks soooo good doing it.
I all of the sudden find myself making more trips to the auto parts store for things I really don't need. ha, ha.

If you went to Autozone, you got what you asked for. I went in to one down here YEARS ago and asked for a set of points. The guy said....and I quote....."Wut dat is?" autozone hires the stupidest people they can possibly find. Bar none.
We call Our Auto Zones "Mexizone" enough said.

I used to go to Advanced Auto regularly, but had some staff changes so they don't know anything. Now go to O'Reilly's since the gals there let me look up my own stuff, plus their easy on the eyes and a lot of fun to give a hard time to.

Actually, one of them drives and works on a 71 Nova, so she at least understands having aftermarket parts, along with various years stuff on a car.

i guess you can't fix stupid but you can hire it. which may explain why some people work for the lower pay.

i usually do my research online for the most part. for the old stuff i go with online vendors or take the part numbers into the store.

i like carquest because they all deal with the local shops like mine...and i get a very good discount :D but sometimes they get stumped too...catalogs change every year and some transcriber puts in the wrong part number or omits it completely...

i worked for yates auto parts in the late 90s and my manager always said double check in the book. our parts computer was reynolds and reynolds which sucked.

i think you should get to know your parts guy (if he/she is a good one) and if they leave find where they went... here in NOVA they move around alot.

Ok I agree yes autozone hires mostly retards and screw ups at their stores. Considering I'm a full time mechanic at FedEx and work almost full time hours at autozone myself it gets really un-nerving to watch my co-workers steer customers in the wrong direction or call my name every 5 seconds cuz they don't know anything. But at the same time autozone won't open their check books to hire experienced techs or parts people. I can tell you this first hand if you fill out the survey online and blast the store in the comment section it doesn't go unnoticed. Every week the district mgr is required to pull a report to read those surveys. I've watched personally 3 stores in my area get its entire staff get replaced,removed,or relocated due to complaints.

I just want to say that you guys who call and ask for "snake oil" or "elbow grease" for a 69 Dodge Duster with a rotary engine are idiots. These kids are there because the company doesn't want to pay for knowledge. Instead they pay for keyboard jockeys who rely on the computer for everything. They don't know what year Duster's started. I mean do you know the first year of the Ford Tempo? They don't know if there was some random specialty type engine for the Duster. They don't know if snake oil and elbow grease are brand names for products or what. Of course they know what elbow grease means but they are still going to look it up just in case it's a real product.

There is a huge difference in not knowing what points are and not knowing the details of the cars you know everything about. Just because you are an expert in A Bodies doesn't mean they are. I go to the same guy at Napa because he knows his stuff. I just avoid the kids at Kragen and Auto Zone. If I do go in there then I make sure I have part numbers and know exactly what I want because I can't rely on them. I can't expect them to know that Valiant and Duster parts are the same in the same way that I don't know what Chevy and Ford parts interchange.

Another comment on the franchise chain stores. I typically choose which one I'm going to use based on how friendly and personable the clerks are, not for their knowledge of what I'm working on, and typically not even the price. I look up part numbers on their website before I go, and go knowing that they'll have to order it most of the time.

But, a great smile and an earnest willingness to be friendly is what counts with me most of the time. If I want technical knowledge, I come here and ask questions, or I'll go to the dealer with the old timer there.

To be fair, and as many others pointed out, AutoZone, Advance, O'Reilly's, even Dealerships all employ the lowest cost worker they can get away with. 95% of the them are clerks that have never performed any work beyond changing batteries and wiper blades. The most information that they have in locating parts is what the computer tells them and it is organized by year, make and model.

My father worked in the auto parts industry for 25 years. One (of many..) of his pet peeves was people that ask the parts counter person what part they need to purchase to make their car stop doing X. Parts people sell parts. If they have been around the block a few years and are somewhat interested in understanding their job, they can get pretty good at picking out what part is needed due to purchasing trends but they are not diagnosticians. Also keep in mind that most stores carry over 100,000 individual part numbers. Expecting a 19 year old to know all of the applications and uses is a bit over the top.

We, the more knowledgeable of performance and Mopars, need to bring the most information to them to help them get us the right part the first time. Most of us have modified our vehicles in some way, shape, or form, and it is up to us to know what year, make and model the part we need is applicable to so they can find it.

My oldest son works as a store manager at a Autozone. He is one of the people that you would like to have wait on you as he worked turning wrenches at a auto shop that worked on every make and model for 10 years before moving into auto parts sales. He understands not only what the customer is asking for, but also the application of that part and the details like who actually makes that Duralast part and how it is constructed. Here is a few tips for those that shop at Autozone:

1. Always seek out the guy wearing a Gray shirt. Red shirt guys are the ones that unload trucks, stock shelves, sweep floor, and have the least amount of knowledge about the parts they are selling.

2. Bring as much knowledge to the counter that you can. This includes the year, make, and model of the original vehicle the part you need came from. This also includes what their competitor is selling the part for. You can negotiate a price match.

3. Never buy Duralast belts, hoses, or rebuilt power steering pumps. Some of the Water pumps they sell are new. New is better than their rebuilts but is not always the best part. If is hard to change, spend a few extra bucks and buy the name brand part...

4. Advance, Car Quest, and Autozone use many, but not all, of the same part manufacturers. AutoZone just reboxes the parts.

5. Be patient with the person behind the counter. Just because they do not know what the part numbers are for the .15 jet for a Holley or Edelbrock aftermarket carburetor is does not mean they need to be ordered out of the gene pool. It is a chance to make them smarter and we have a responsibility to purvey and educate others on Mopars so we can keep the dream alive of our older, and cooler cars.

thats my $.02 worth.

Jw133489

I agree with you except for the Duralast belts they are made by Dayco. I have never had a problem with their belts so I do not see having a problem with the Duralast.

Another comment on the franchise chain stores. I typically choose which one I'm going to use based on how friendly and personable the clerks are, not for their knowledge of what I'm working on, and typically not even the price. I look up part numbers on their website before I go, and go knowing that they'll have to order it most of the time.

But, a great smile and an earnest willingness to be friendly is what counts with me most of the time. If I want technical knowledge, I come here and ask questions, or I'll go to the dealer with the old timer there.

I too find that a smile, courteous treatment, cooperation etc. will cause me to overlook a lack of knowledge. There is a huge difference in dealing with the konw-it-all jerk who barely has time to deal with you , or the one who finds their cell phone more important than a custemr, etc. and the one who, even though they don't know much, is sincerely trying to help and please a customer. Occasionally you even encounter a pleasant one who seems to be trying to learn as well!! Management and corporate direction seem to be key in this area as it seems to be specific to certain stores.

I too find that a smile, courteous treatment, cooperation etc. will cause me to overlook a lack of knowledge. There is a huge difference in dealing with the konw-it-all jerk who barely has time to deal with you , or the one who finds their cell phone more important than a custemr, etc. and the one who, even though they don't know much, is sincerely trying to help and please a customer. Occasionally you even encounter a pleasant one who seems to be trying to learn as well!! Management and corporate direction seem to be key in this area as it seems to be specific to certain stores.

I agree and if they would hire a couple of key people with the knowledge of parts and would be willing to mentor the younger ones, this would improve the overall confidence of the new hires as well as promote goodwill and sales for the company. The one thing that chaps my A$$ is to deal with a counter person who assumes I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

I just want to say that you guys who call and ask for "snake oil" or "elbow grease" for a 69 Dodge Duster with a rotary engine are idiots. These kids are there because the company doesn't want to pay for knowledge. Instead they pay for keyboard jockeys who rely on the computer for everything. They don't know what year Duster's started. I mean do you know the first year of the Ford Tempo? They don't know if there was some random specialty type engine for the Duster. They don't know if snake oil and elbow grease are brand names for products or what. Of course they know what elbow grease means but they are still going to look it up just in case it's a real product.

There is a huge difference in not knowing what points are and not knowing the details of the cars you know everything about. Just because you are an expert in A Bodies doesn't mean they are. I go to the same guy at Napa because he knows his stuff. I just avoid the kids at Kragen and Auto Zone. If I do go in there then I make sure I have part numbers and know exactly what I want because I can't rely on them. I can't expect them to know that Valiant and Duster parts are the same in the same way that I don't know what Chevy and Ford parts interchange.

Next time I will call and ask for "Exhaust Bearings".:-D

let me enlighten you . I am 61 years old and own a 1970 340 Duster. I work at Autozone because it was the only job I could find after moving to Illinois. I have learned that Autozone Doesn't give a DAMN about it's employees or if they know a thing about cars. But if you have a bad experience all you have to do is call the District Managers Number posted on the front door and complain they will send your money back or a gift card for your hard time. So stop bitching to us and ***** where it will do you some good. They don't pay enough to keep good help and could care less if we stay or leave, it is a business and they only care about your money and your return visit. they will return any part for any reason, ***** to the right person in higher management and you will be surprised what they will give you. Just a bit of inside knowledge I have seen it many many times in my two years at OTTER ZONE. steve

I couldn't agree more with you Dusterdowns. It's even worse here in Memphis where the Corp. office is. Hell when the economy tanked in 2008 Autozone made the news down here because they posted record sales numbers during that time span. Well to thank the stores (and now I'm finding out that not all the stores got this) they granted every store a pizza party to say thank you (but the stores were limited to a $60 price cap for food and drink). We did the math down here and in the quarter where everybody else suffered Autozone made $1.7 billion dollars! Outta that $1.7 billion they spent $240,000 on pizza to say thank you. What a joke.

true story,

my buddy's kid, was always hanging out with us, from the time he could walk, anyway.

one day we're all out there talking and here comes lil jim, I think he may have been 10 or 11 at this time, looks at us and Say's moms car won't start, so we pull out the last car in, I think it was a amx, pull out front to jump Pam's nova, now Pam was a looker and still is.

Marty the amx owner is new to the group, has never seen Pam, shes in shorts, and when she bends over to grab the cables, Marty hooked the cables up backward, sparks fly lil jim takes off screaming, we think he got hurt so we chase him down, find out the sparks scared him and he thought the car was going to blow up.

fast forward 8 or 9 years, lil jim's working at the parts store, this was a time when the computer was a screen with a light bulb, and the part no's# was on film, they'd slide the little cards around, instead of flipping pages.

I'm there one day getting parts, people are bitching left and right, about getting the wrong parts, kids not knowing a damn thing etc.
someone tells me not to buy parts here, that they will give me the wrong part, I tell him if lil jim gives me the wrong part, I'll kick his a$$, I go to the counter, order my parts, the manager tells me he will take care of me, I ask him whats he paying jim for, jim can take care of me, he say's he wants me to get the right part, I tell him jim can get it for me.

jim tells me people been yelling at him all day over prices, the parts and everything else, I tell him to hang in there and take his time, check the no#s twice, and he'll be fine.

jim worked his way to manager, he worked at auto zone, advance, corvairs, nationwide, and now o'rielly's, he also builds his own race cars, and for awhile built cars for other people, but then he didn't have time to race.

what I'm saying is give the new kids a chance, sorry for the long post.

Mark

All of these experiences are very common today. What is worse nowadays is that I can go into a racing/ high performance/ after market speed shop and find the same idiots. They have never sat in a hi-po car, let alone ever owed one. They don't know what they're talking about. It takes time, but you need to develope your own contacts with people you can trust. This web site is a good place to start.

-
Back