A-holes at Autozone

-

SGBARRACUDA

ROY
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I took the Dart out to a car show last night and the carb was acting up so I figure Sundays project was going to be rebuilding the carb. I go to Autozone, search out the oldest guy there, in his 40's and tell him I need a carb kit for a model 1406 600 Edelbrock carb. Then the fun begins, he asks me what kind of car its on? I tell him it is an aftermarket Edelbrock. He asks is it a Holley or a carter ? I tell him it's like a Carter but made by Edelbrock. He asks again what kind of car it is on, I tell him it was never a factory installed carb and again let him know IT'S AFTERMARKET! He proceeds to tell me in a cocky voice" You know there are cars that came with a Carter!" I look at him and tell him a 1953 25hp Volkswagon! I then tell you know what there are to many other part stores in the area to but up with his smart ***. I leave go across the street to Advanced Auto Parts and oh no the girl helping me is young enough to be my grandaughter! After I tell her what I need, another older gentleman in his 50's tells her he will take care of me, goes to the back and brings out a 1477 Edelbrock carb kit. Thank God I found someone with a little knowledge! Bottom line I spent a total of $68.13 that Autozone didn't get! Long gone are the days of dealing with the local Parts store that you get to deal with the same person everytime you go there. But the bottom line is the Dart runs great again. Sorry just wanted to vent a little bit.

Kids nowadays have Honda(fartpipe)tunnel vision.These auto stores should be hiring people with some kind of auto tech history,not just some guys son/daughter that their trying to helpout by paying $6-7 an hour.

Guess I'm lucky in that the 2 main guys at my local AZ are wrenches with gray hair. Now when I ordered points and went to pick them up the young assistant manager was on watch and asked what they were.........points........" I don't even know what those are".

our auto zone is the same way. there is an advance also and theres one guy in the place that knows his parts and if hes not there i dont buy.

WOW $68.13 !!! I never assume the part stores are going to know what i'm looking for on a aftermarket or hi perf part so i just find the part number online and give it to them. These part store guys need to know Honda/Toyota ect.. not carb tech lol

The Autozones around here don't really carry any performance stuff. There's a Kragen/Oriely's with a good selection, and a Pep Boys with a little bit.

Maritime auto supply New Glasgow every one of them is in the hobby,and know what the local guys are building and racing/tuning,excellent staff,thank GOD we don't have an Autozone!

WOW $68.13 !!! I never assume the part stores are going to know what i'm looking for on a aftermarket or hi perf part so i just find the part number online and give it to them. These part store guys need to know Honda/Toyota ect.. not carb tech lol

Well I bought some 5/16" hose and some torx bits too. The kit was $45.99.

went you go to autozone...dont expect them to know anything about cars..

i am working on my 71 demon...it has a B body rear end with larger brakes .....

it also has 73 A body front disc brakes...

so Friday I looked up the rear brake pads and drums for a 71 barracuda 440...

front brake disc....73 340 duster...

In fact I had the part number all written down went i walk in the door...so I did not give them a chance to ask stupid....

If you went to Autozone, you got what you asked for. I went in to one down here YEARS ago and asked for a set of points. The guy said....and I quote....."Wut dat is?" autozone hires the stupidest people they can possibly find. Bar none.

If you went to Autozone, you got what you asked for. I went in to one down here YEARS ago and asked for a set of points. The guy said....and I quote....."Wut dat is?" autozone hires the stupidest people they can possibly find. Bar none.

"Wut dat is?"

Oh ****! Now that's FUNNY! LOL!

Auto Zone and Advanced and even Pep Boys tend to cater to the rice crowd and the Ford and Chevy Guys. I have NEVER had any luck trying to find anything performance related to Mopar in any of these stores on the shelf. But if I owned a Chevy 350, you can get almost any performance part right off the shelf at these stores.

Auto Zone and Advanced and even Pep Boys tend to cater to the rice crowd and the Ford and Chevy Guys. I have NEVER had any luck trying to find anything performance related to Mopar in any of these stores on the shelf. But if I owned a Chevy 350, you can get almost any performance part right off the shelf at these stores.

We got(had) a few mopar lovers at our Advance Auto :-D

I took my 72 Kawasaki 500 to the local dealer one Saturday to show them the bike that really put Kawasaki on the map.
One of the salesmen (a real bike guy) like me, had bought one new. Some of the other people there knew what it was but the majority of them were clueless.
Just for grins and giggles, I pushed it out back to the service check-in and asked the good looking 'service advisor' how much it would cost for a valve adjustment. She was smart enough (when I told her it was a 72 H1B) to look way back in the old books.
After a minute she looked at me and said the books don't have anytime listed for that procedure listed for that bike. The service manager was standing off to the side about ready to bust a gut.
When he told her that 2 strokes don't have valves I had to step in.
I told him to give her credit...she knew right where to look and did not go anywhere near the computer and she should be given a pat on the back for that. He agreed with that and I bought her a coke and we went over the bike. It was like taking a teenager that knew nothing about a 68 Hemi Dart and showing them one. She was amazed at what we rode back then. Then I fired it up. Her eyes got really big as she covered her ears.
I told her that the cops really loved me back in the day.

1972-21.jpg

This example of depressing societal "progression" is but one example ...

I'm 40 years old , but have never been my age ; I've always enjoyed older , vintage things ( music , art , fashion , etc. , etc. ) , with only a few exceptions .

It's unfortunate and truly a disservice that everything's being corporate-ised ; no more independent restaurants ( coffee shops , remember those ??? ) , hobby shops , auto parts stores , etc. , etc.
just cold , honky-run corporate everything !!

I work for NAPA ; and the store I work at is a dreaded corporate store : under-staffed , high-stress , no real time to dedicate to individuals' needs ( gotta keep that Cheapy O'Pennypincher wholesale customer that's on the phone happy !! ) , retarded hours , corporate bullshit !!!

Thank God the manager's a gear head , as is the assistant manager . If not for those two , I'd have kicked rocks long ago !!!

The problem is this : NONE of these corporate asshole companies want to pay anyone what they're worth !!!
Old(er) guys steer-away from Auto Zone ( et al. ) unless they're -retired- and are just fartin' around part time ; no one in their right mind would make a career out of Auto Zone ( et al. ) unless they're willing to be reprogrammed in order to please the 20-something district manager whom doesn't know **** about cars ( nor the parts business ) , but has a management degree ( I have those : I buy 'em by the roll and hang 'em next to the toilet !!! ) and knows numbers !

As a result of this cold , corporate , honky-cracker mentality , these chain stores hire these kids that have the personality of a rice cake , the attention-span of a gnat , and the I.Q. of a fish !!
Know how to punch **** into a computer ? HIRED !!!
Some **** *** with zero interest in cars ( etc. ) wrote a programme for looking car parts up .
DON'T type specific applications and names into the search address , as the programme won't recognise WTF you're talking about !!!

Think I'll stop here .

at my autozone/advance i go in and ask who is working today autozone has a chevy guy but that has been there for about 15yrs and advance has a mopar guy that has been there 15-18 yrs if either arent there i go to the other, i am young but come on these kids that got working there wouldnt know anything without their computer. i have learnt that with standard stuff figure out what car came with it factory and buy for that car

-
Back