elm13

Reaction score
i was given a holley carb and know nothing about them

I run a 64 273. headers and comp high energy cam

here are the numbers that I found on the side of the holley

then it says "List 3310-2 1725"
in another place it reads 34R 1784

and in another spot 1762

on each end it says patent pending and has a couple dozen very very small numbers i have not taken the time to get a magnifying glass to read.

Any help in knowing what this thing is and if I can actually use it would be great.

thanks so much for any and all help.
Merry Christmas!!!

Yep 3310 is a 750 vac secondary carb...

That's kinda big for a 273...

3310 "used to be known" as a 780. If you ever paw through car mags of the late 60's and 70's you'll see them mentioned a LOT. "Back then" it was THE universal carburetor.

That carb would wake up them 383's, over the Carter or smaller Holley.

Thanks so much everyone - I am just getting this 273 put back in the car... I don't have a carb currently - Will this even work or am I better off getting another?

Thanks again!

I would not run that big Holley on a 273, unless it's a 10K RPM super screamer.

If it has a rear metering block, it is a 780. If it only has a front metering block, it is a 750. Either is too big for a 273.

Its a -2 so its a '750'.
It's a good carb. It just is probably not the best match for your engine and combo.
Depending on which HE cam, it will probably be OK. The more cam and a looser converter or some gear and it will be a little better match for your engine.
If you're doing track time/road course, it can take a secondary power valve.

In simple terms the big problem with larger primary venturis and throttle plates is that the air is moving slower on a given engine and rpm. It makes the carb harder to tune at idle and low rpm (that is street use). IMO, an important consideration is whether the intake is spreadbore or 'square bore' and to a lesser degree whether its a dual plane or single. Also keep an eye on your hood clearance when using a dual plane.

Bottom line. You'll have an easier time getting good response etc with a carb with smaller primaries, but this will work.

-
Back