A little advice please

-
I live in Independence Kansas The engine and trans will be sold as a combo for $1,000. That will be just enough to cover the cost of a Cummins engine and trans.

actually I just found one like it at the local scrap yard,fairly complete,when I'm down there next I will get pic's if you should try to put it back together,adding a diesel isn't going to fix any of the missing parts but rather add to the things that need to be done to make the car nice again
Here are some pics.
The car is missing almost everything like I said it was a drag car so it was stripped and gutted.

I already went out and purchased 90% of the interior new from a swap meet in Tulsa Oklahoma. I also got a few other parts from LKQ Self Serve as well.

I have a 90 RAM with the Cummins and love it but why anyone would want to put it in a Galaxy is beyond me :shock:

But whatever floats your boat, you'll be the only one on the block with one that's for sure :D

I figure it's my car, money, and imagination so why not. I am putting in a Cummins to one make it reliable and two so that it will have power and mpg.

I figure it's my car, money, and imagination so why not. I am putting in a Cummins to one make it reliable and two so that it will have power and mpg.

reliable - yes but expensive when things go wrong
power - not out of a stock 5.9 cummins, I'd be lucky to outrun a yugo, unless it was uphill while towing :D
mpg - is pretty good, certianly better than a big block

like you said it's your money

Sounds like you have a good plan and know what you are in for.
Actually, i'm glad you are doing it, you are a ground breaker.
Good luck with it, i really am interested on how it turns out.
Please start a thread on the build process with lots of pics!

I will be starting a restoration thread later tonight I have to finish cleaning it out and stuff. Then I am going to go picture crazy on it. Oh and about the stock HP a Cummins has, I know it isn't high but I never said it was gonna stay stock or single turbo. I am gonna go freaking nuts on this car. I am going to be ordering a X Frame next week so it can handle extreme power and torque.

I will be starting a restoration thread later tonight I have to finish cleaning it out and stuff. Then I am going to go picture crazy on it. Oh and about the stock HP a Cummins has, I know it isn't high but I never said it was gonna stay stock or single turbo. I am gonna go freaking nuts on this car. I am going to be ordering a X Frame next week so it can handle extreme power and torque.

Someone smarter than me probably knows better but as far as I know an X frame twists that much more, not less.

Not trying to be the thorn in your side as it may appear :eek:ops:

If you are going to really do this then look into a 12v 6TB set up from a 1994-1998 Dodge truck. Its all mechanical no electronics needed. Once you go with the 1998.5 and up you are getting into commonrail tech and the $$$ go up accordingly.

If you find a combo for a $1000 I would be surprised. The 12v motor is the easy set up to do. The manifold for the intake is low enough to clear the hood. You could run a non-intercooler set up for a while, but you want it eventually. The biggest pain will be build a radiator to hold enough coolant to keep the engine temps down. Plus the motors dry weight is in the neighborhood of 1000 lbs. Springs and shocks are the next engineering upgrade. Does the Ford steer in the front or rear of the spindles? I can't remember so clearance issues could be a prevailing concern.

The Galaxie is a full frame car and will support the torque no problem. The issue is height and steering clearance. The motor is very tall and holds 13 qts of oil. You can't skimp on cooling the beast. Then all this power need to go through a 47RE which needs a new torque convertor and rebuild just to handle the power. Suncoast or NADP could build you one. You are looking at 4-5 k for the trans alone. Sounds like fun, but it could get crazy.

A 385 series Ford motor is easily capable of 600hp on the cheap. Cheaper than most realize. The 460 can be a 514 easily and those heads flow pretty well. I would imagine the motor and trans are worth $400 to someone.

Good luck...

I already found the engine and transmission I am gonna get it is out of a 92 truck and for everything I need of of it I am only gonna be into it for $689.32
I shopped around and I am picking it up used at a self serve a auto salvage.

Only thing I can't figure out is why you'd post it here asking for opinions & advice & then reject everyone who disagrees. It's your money & time, do what you want & just post it in a build (Ford or diesel) thread. You gotta remember this is called "For A Bodies Only" here where we are primarily interested in Dodge & Plymouth A body which were gasoline powered cars. Good luck with your build, but what did you expect?

I have a 64 Dodge Dart 270 I am working on as well. I have not been able to find things I need for that project so I am starting this one early.

i would agree that this being an A body site, why would you expect a whole lotta love with this? i could see if you were sticking this plant in a duster......

i bet the ford guys would dig it...but have at it....

Check your frame rails around the front suspension. I had two 68 Galaxies and both had frame breakout issues. The first car my parents bought new and I bought it from them as basic transportation. So many things started failing I bought another for a parts car. The frame started cracking out so I welded it but it just broke out in more places. So, my solution was to swap all the good stuff to the parts car. In a couple of years the frame on it started cracking out in several places too. Make sure you've got something solid to work with.

Right on. Just remember, if you put a mopar engine in it, you have to paint the engine bay to match the exterior color.:thumbup:

Will you have to alter the shock towers and coils or will it fit? Gotta love a cummins.

Attachments

• i phone 038 (Large).jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 109
Width and height are good but I may have to alter the fire wall to fit for length.
Also thank you for the heads up on the frame rail issue. I will be inspecting that first thing in the mourning.

Unless your Duster is in the l 10's you haven't pulled next to the right Cummins. You pull aside of my sons Diesel 4x4 on the right you will be washing your purple Duster with Tide. on the right you will be sucking soot for the whole 1320. I would say all you would see is tail lights but that's after the smoke clears. If you do have enough ponies your gonna need a lot bigger tires and a better suspension . Looks a little stiff in the pics. Go to cummins on you tube and watch. Never bad mouth a diesel unless you got some serious ponies to back you up. He charcoaled my Duster for the first 60 and the orange pumpkin is pretty dam quick.

I'm shocked you didn't use the term "rolling coal" which is so popular with the guys who think they have fast trucks.
The best thing about them is that I'm always in front of them when the black smoke starts to fly lol.

Where are you going to mount the stacks? Are you using 5" or 6" stacks? Up through the trunk lid or straight through the roof? Should look "Awesome":coffee2:

Custom Cummins install on a ford? You are on your own.

If it is a factory 427 car you are really shooting your self in the foot with your plan.

i have to agree kept the 427 get it rebuilt if needed.I'm not a ford man but i am a car guy and i would keep that car stock.worth more in the long run.just my 2 cent.

-
Back