A new battery for my Demon

-

French demon

Reaction score
My old battery died recently. RIP

As my '71 Demon is totally stock, I wanted to install something looking good.
In Europe, it's logically impossible to find a battery closely resembling to a '70 Mopar one.
I had to make my own "group 24" battery.

I had to start with a black colored battery with a flat top.
I purchased this one :
s-l500.jpg

Impossible to escape to the foldable handle, all modern batteries have one :(

So, I glued the handle into its housing and covered it with a large Mopar sticker.
Then, I used a kit containing self-adhesive dummy green plugs and green stickers.

20220408_113638.jpg

I also made new positives and negative cables close to the original ones
IMG_20201201_220636_338.jpg

Câble négative 70-up.jpg

The final result.
Not an exact reproduction of the '70 Mopar battery, but I think it looks better than the horrible modern batteries. :D

08-04-2022.jpg

Francois

Last edited:
That is neat! Great thinking, but it probably voided the warranty.:(

Maybe. But I kept the original "Exide Excell" stickers...
In all cases, the total budget has been 100€, not a big expense. Far less expensive than a made in USA repro battery

In Europe, it's logically impossible to find a battery closely resembling to a '70 Mopar one.

I purchased this one :
View attachment 1715903568

So, I glued the handle into its housing and covered it with a large Mopar sticker.
Then, I used a kit containing self-adhesive dummy green plugs and green stickers.

View attachment 1715903569

View attachment 1715903570

View attachment 1715903573

The final result.
Not an exact reproduction of the '70 Mopar battery, but I think it looks better than the horrible modern batteries. :D

View attachment 1715903574

Francois
Great work! It may be different in Europe, but in the US; starting batteries are rated by cold cranking amps (CCA's) instead of Amp Hours. Storage batteries (for electric carts and the like) have thinner plates and generally cannot handle the large current draw required to start an engine. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this. Again, great job!

Honestly, I don't know. The CCA are not indicated on european batteries. Only Amp/H.
I referred to the 1971 Chrysler chart which preconizes a 60A/H battery for Slant 6 and Small-block.
My old battery was also a 60Amp/h and the engine did always start without any problem.

I purchased this one :
View attachment 1715903568

View attachment 1715903569

View attachment 1715903570

View attachment 1715903573

The final result.

View attachment 1715903574

Francois
So here is my best reply spelled as it sounds while I butcher the French language Trey Bon Francois!
Translated that looks great, well done!

Great work!! You can be very proud of that car and what you have done to it!!
Batt looks Great!!

Thanks a lot, Mike.
I love my Demon, yes. The only car I would change for is a '70 Barracuda convertible, but this remains only a dream. At least, for now :rolleyes:

Next step for the Demon, a new radiator. I have an original '71 Chrysler one waiting for a rebuild.

Francois

So here is my best reply spelled as it sounds while I butcher the French language Trey Bon Francois!
Translated that looks great, well done!

Hi Sublime

Phonetically, it's good. Better to write : "Très bon"... And yes, you can translate it in english by "Well done".
Thank you for your support

Francois

I did the same with the stickers but I didnt bother doing the green tops. It looks much better that a regular battery.

20191026_082948.jpg

Today, my Demon got a good cleaning, including the engine bay.

13-04-2022.jpg

I also removed the white covering on the roof.
Back to black
Not too bad for a 51 y.o. vinyl top
13-04-2022.jpg

Moi aussi je dit tres bien est bon travail
Dan
Well done and nice work

-
Back