A question about intakes

-
I'd lube the solid lifters, breaker bar it a few times till it turned over and start it up. Let it clear its lungs. Can't count how many frozen motors I got turning and finally got started that ran fine afterwords. If it were rusted hydros, I would just get new lifters but not solids. Check oil before anything.
Stuck engine is different than an engine that was never started and the assembly lube has dried out in and became like glue. It needs to come apart be cleaned and relubed

Honed cylinders with a ridge? How did they do that.....A ridge would prevent a piston from coming out to hone the cylinder unless they really popped it out past the rings, or dingle balled the cylinder with the pistons at BDC. Now that's ghetto! If the crank doesn't turn without the heads on, that's something I'd investigate. Start by breaking the torque on the caps. Try to turn it again, they could have a cap on backwards or out of order, will lock it up in a hurry. Assembly lube turning to glue: remind me not to buy that brand. That motor has special pushrods to use a hydro lifter on a mechanical rocker, as well as the hydro cam itself.

from what I'm told it was turned over by hand every year or so while it sat until the last couple. I plan to pull the timing cover and remove the timing chain to see if its the rings or cam that are stuck. It may still get fully pulled apart yet but I want to find root cause first.

As to the ridge. I can only see it faintly, can't get a finger nail on it. More concerned right now with getting it turning again to see what is next.

I have never seen assembly lube turn to glue either. I have had motors that were sitting for years and tore them apart and it was still like new.

So, one more update on the intake part. I was cleaning it up a bit yesterday and you can faintly see what looks like an "L" on the rear with the D4B so it proves it is an LD4B manifold. The front actually looks like it may have been filed off, but not really seeing why it would have been done unless it was an error at the edelbrock factory.

So, one more update on the intake part. I was cleaning it up a bit yesterday and you can faintly see what looks like an "L" on the rear with the D4B so it proves it is an LD4B manifold. The front actually looks like it may have been filed off, but not really seeing why it would have been done unless it was an error at the edelbrock factory.
Those old manifolds were sand cast and many times the letter and number details didn't turn out. Does it have a part number cast into it? If so it is a LD4B for sure.

-
Back