A question that I am not sure how to even ask...

-
Regarding the plug in the head, that can be removed without tearing down the engine. probably the best method would be to take a cheap square drive extension and tack it into place, and spin that plug out. Take about 15 minutes if you are lucky, and an hour if not.

no need to tear down the engine.

Regarding the plug in the head, that can be removed without tearing down the engine. probably the best method would be to take a cheap square drive extension and tack it into place, and spin that plug out. Take about 15 minutes if you are lucky, and an hour if not.

no need to tear down the engine.

I'm a fan of simple solutions!

Thanks...

No, the tranny fluid goes in the tranny box filler tube. I filled the oil access on the top of the valve head; its the breather access.

I'm surprised that your car takes 6 quarts as the shop manual and owner's manual stipulates 4+1, but maybe the blocks are different? I don't now, I don't have a '64.

In any case, the oil went into the fill but has not spilled into the il[an, so something is clogging it up.

Thanks for the help...

Most likely: if it takes 6 quarts, the dipstick is too short. (Chrysler dipsticks were notoriously inaccurate.)

In my experience, if an engine has more than 60 thousand miles on it, once coolant or fuel gets into the oil system, the bottom end will come apart within 12 thousand miles.
Main bearings are made of a Babbitt lead material. Its wear smears to voids making it sort of self conforming, almost self healing. Water or gas will wash that material away.
The 7 quarts of oil had to go in one of 3 places.. in the coolant system ( unlikely ), in the cylinders, or down the exhaust pipe. I hate to say it but it really doesn't matter where it went now that we see the fluid mixing.
I would pull the head and rotate the bottom end to inspect the bores. If I didn't find a wrist pin walked, or a cracked cylinder wall, I would assume for now that I have a rebuildable engine.

Seen many engines have oil/coolant mix & run a long time. My mother's Omni lost the head gasket with ~120K on it & was driven ~10 miles with a gallon of coolant in the oil. New head gasket & water pump, coolant flush, fresh oil...the car ran another 178,000 miles.

Saw someone drive a truck ~50 miles with the oil mixed about 50/50 with gas (fuel pump diaphragm failed, driver noticed nothing amiss until the OIL light came on)...the vehicle (old Dodge truck, 318 2bbl) was still running when scrapped 100,000+ miles later due to rust.

Seen many engines have oil/coolant mix & run a long time. My mother's Omni lost the head gasket with ~120K on it & was driven ~10 miles with a gallon of coolant in the oil. New head gasket & water pump, coolant flush, fresh oil...the car ran another 178,000 miles.

Saw someone drive a truck ~50 miles with the oil mixed about 50/50 with gas (fuel pump diaphragm failed, driver noticed nothing amiss until the OIL light came on)...the vehicle (old Dodge truck, 318 2bbl) was still running when scrapped 100,000+ miles later due to rust.

There are exceptions to anything. Statistically, a slant 6 will toss the #5 rod though the block someday. Statistically, I'll have a single death blow heart attack someday.

-
Back