A reason that owners let their cars sit and rot

-
people are funny. I have a mopar friend I've known since bout 1987. he has a building probably 60 x 200. full of cars (mopar) and parts. he never would ever sell anything. sometimes trade wit h me, a part, once a car. he and his wife make their home in one end of it.

well back in bout mid 90's I was getting rid of my E body stuff, had enough of them, period. he had a 68 gtx 4 speed roller, ( 4 speed X's and chargers are unusual)... I traded him a 70 cuda v code 6 pack roller plus I got $2000. ( I had 3-4 of them at that time< LOL),,, he still has the cuda, I retored his X and,, with a hemi X roller, they went to guy I Ca. way back then. i'm glad he would up with the cuda,( he loves it,) and I had more than a few. back then I could always find another if so inclined. got totally into B bodies and never missed the E body thing .

back when these old cars peaked, I know a guy that turned down $700,000 plus a Vegas condo for a 71 hemi cuda survivor. that's maybe a case where two fools meet!??? LOL he was greedy and wanted more... the other guy I guess had plenty of $$$$$$$ LOL

The reason people would rather let a car sit and rot vs sell

I have sold hundreds of muscle cars over the last 15 years and really enjoyed doing so up until the last few years. I have noticed, and I am sure a lot of other people have as well that over the last five or so years, potential buyers (I am using that word VERY loosely) are getting to be very rude and ignorant. A lot of people don't even make offers, they just tell you (regardless of asking price) that your asking to much. And when they do offer something, more often than not its scrap price. I have also noticed that people like to bully the sellers, as if they think that's going to help.

I know of a whole collection of mopars that are going to rot into the ground and or be scrapped due to someone trying to bully the seller. The seller used to sell cars and parts at very reasonable prices till one person disrespected him and his family. Someone trying to bully him and get things for scrap prices and literally making threats towards him unless he sold them for the potential buyers offer.

A lot of people feel they are just entitled to own these cars and that the people letting them sit are *** holes. Not true!

A note to Mr. buyer. If you want a car, pony up the cash and don't get mad at the seller. It's their car and they can do with what they want. If you want the car, pay for it. Otherwise, don't sit there and bash and bully the current owner, don't call them *** holes or get all bent out of shape. Treat the current owner how you would want to be treated in the same circumstances.

I have all but quit the hobby due to how the hobbyists have been ruining it over the last few years. I have helped lots of younger kids get into the hobby even giving them very nice parts, or finding them great deals or giving them great deals on cars. I recently offered a car for sell for reasonable even offering to take payments, and a few people on here were very abusive and rude about it making claims about my car that were not true and they had no reason to make or way to back up.

People, please be polite to sellers. Treat them how you would want to be treated if you were selling a car. Being a bully is not the right way to make someone sell. I have ALWAYS bought and sold with one major philosophy:

"It doesn't matter the price paid, a good deal is simply when the buyer and the seller make an agreement that they both walk away happy about."

If you do go ask about a car and the current owner is not willing to talk, be friendly and patient, check back later and just go talk to them, not even about the car. Make friends with them and you'll end up with a friend and the car. Then stay in touch. Change the way the hobby is steering.

Happy hunting
-Jeremy

What a great topic, and very well said.
I have several cars and parts that i have accumulated over the years, and yes, it's all for sale (with the exception of a few) for a reasonable price.
Talk to me like i'm a dick, i'll go away and you'll get nothing. Be reasonable, and you'll walk away for a lot of stuff for cheap or even free. Trading is great too.
I don't care if it rots, i really don't.
99% of the stuff i have was saved from being parted out and/or crushed in the first place, so i paid good money to give them a chance to survive and be used.
If it all ends up being crushed down the road, so be it. It would have been anyway.
People need to be reasonable, realistic, and respectful.
I'm too old to deal with liars, bullies, or just the opposite of them, *** kissers.

I too have been buying and selling muscle cars for over 30 years. I've had some real jerks try to bully me into a low price. I just simply say "No thanks" and shut the door. I've made good money on some, and have been stung on others. I've bought cars that I found out are junk when I got them home. I don't complain, I just count it as experience. It's not right to be rude or insulting. You get a lot further ahead if you're polite. I've knocked on doors, been turned down and asked if I could leave a number in case they changed their mind. A few have called me back and we struck a deal. It's a hobby, and hobbies cost money!!! If you can't afford it, don't ask.
I've gotten burned out too. My '69 Barracuda will probably be my last car. It's gotten too expensive for the average Joe. But, I'll always keep some money back for the "Can't pass this one up" kinda deal.

I too have been buying and selling muscle cars for over 30 years. I've had some real jerks try to bully me into a low price. I just simply say "No thanks" and shut the door. I've made good money on some, and have been stung on others. I've bought cars that I found out are junk when I got them home. I don't complain, I just count it as experience. It's not right to be rude or insulting. You get a lot further ahead if you're polite. I've knocked on doors, been turned down and asked if I could leave a number in case they changed their mind. A few have called me back and we struck a deal. It's a hobby, and hobbies cost money!!! If you can't afford it, don't ask.
I've gotten burned out too. My '69 Barracuda will probably be my last car. It's gotten too expensive for the average Joe. But, I'll always keep some money back for the "Can't pass this one up" kinda deal.

you are so right about what it costs!!!!! I've said " this will be my LAST car!" also!!!!!! LOL not sure if the is: costs, getting older, wiser ( HA), or what but I have learned to do work that before I paid someone to do ( and do perfect), now i'm happy doing it myself, the resuts may not be perfect, but I have cured myself of the dreaded disease " perfectitus" !!!! LOL

-
Back