A tale of two Dusters

-
Not really any new updates right now.. End of the semester and finals are wiping me out. And I'm looking for a summer job too. Preferably engineering/Design/cars... If anyone knows of any.

the good news is that I only have one more week of classes!!! Then I can get to work on fun stuff!

I should have a better update than that soon.

Thanks again for looking.

ACK!! Whut no suspension yet??

Git yer butt in gear,lol!!

Just kidding.

But seriously,there would be money to be made with selling a nice upgraded suspension package.

Have fun with your summer and good luck with finding a summer job.

ACK!! Whut no suspension yet??

Git yer butt in gear,lol!!

Just kidding.

But seriously,there would be money to be made with selling a nice upgraded suspension package.

Have fun with your summer and good luck with finding a summer job.

Actually... The slow down isn't on my end... I've been turning lca pivots so I can use zero deflection bushings.

See!

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=97860

I'll see if I can get with him this weekend.

After much thought comparing of paint and planning I have decided that I am going to paint my car blue. Somewhat like this.

Dusterblue-1.jpg

It looks close to that in real life.. but I couldn't do the pearl and slight metallic. The color originally came on a chevy cobalt but it should look a lot better on a duster! add in the flat black for the stripes and it should be amazing!

i hope not that bright.... have you thought about plum crazy purple with black stripes?

HAHA! No it isn't. I was having problems getting the color right.

Yes I have. But it won't be a stock rebuild and a stock color just won't work and I really am not a big fan of purple. it just won't fit the "mood" that I am looking for. If I did anything other than the blue it would be the orange like go mango. When I have time I will post a "Re-intro" to the project since plans have changed.

As some of you may know I have been prepping my car for powertour. Not the whole thing, But at least one stop.
So far I have changed a bunch of ignition components such as plugs, wires, cap and rotor... A new High performance air filter, The transmission filter and fluid and while I had it out... I installed a custom transmission cooler! While I don't really like automatics, I do figure it is a good idea to keep the one I have cool and in one piece. I'll post pictures soon.

Hopefully I will have time to do some of the other things I wanted to do. Such as, Swapping out the rear-end, installing my 17's, New rear swaybar, spoilers, subframe connectors, My aluminum MC, a new graphics package and the rust repair to go with it. We will see how all that goes.

Not much progress on either of the others right now, I have been really busy with work. But I hope to make some good progress on my main build this summer.

Thanks again for looking!

So yesterday (my birthday) I swapped out the rearend so I would have BBP all around. Also my old one was a little sloppy.
The new one was was out of a 79 Volare. Yes, I know they are not "technically" a "bolt in". I welded in centering rings so it would be lined up correctly, and the springs are pulled about 3/4" out (this could have been fixed with different centering rings). Also a nice surprise is this has a suregrip which I wasn't expecting. Also I forgot to take a pic of the new tranny cooler. Pictures:

The new rear before cleanup.
DUSTER002-5.jpg

after clean-up and paint
DUSTER005-5.jpg

looks empty...
DUSTER011-3.jpg

DUSTER008-4.jpg

DUSTER010-4.jpg

Welding the rings in
DUSTER013-1.jpg

Welded in, time for grinding. In my defense, it was not my welder...
DUSTER012-3.jpg

new brake lines
DUSTER014-1.jpg

everything in
DUSTER015-1.jpg

done.
DUSTER017-1.jpg

There you are! Disappeared for a while but Im glad your back to it. What is the gear ratio?

There you are! Disappeared for a while but Im glad your back to it. What is the gear ratio?

Haha! I didn't go anywhere! I just hadn't done anything.

The gear ratio is 2.76 which is the same as the old one.. Not great for launches... But it is awesome on the top end and for mileage.

I finished up the last few thing i wanted to get done before power tour. Oil change, cleaning up a wheel stud, fixing a bearing problem and cleaning/washing everything!

I leave tomorrow to meet up with the power tour!

Note: Names changed to protect the innocent.

Wednesday June the 9th is a day I will not soon forget. It starts off with an air of excitement as it is the day that I am going to meet up with the Hot Rod Power Tour for the first time! I leave my house and drive to a nearby town to pick up my "unnamed traveling companion", who will go by the name of "Bob" for this story.
Though it is slightly wet from the on and off showers, everything goes smoothly for the first hour or so of the trip. Unfortunately, I would not be writing this tale if everything had gone according the the plans that had so firmly etched themselves in my mind. I am the kind of person who likes to plan ahead so things will all work out the way I want them. So it makes sense that I had painstakingly planned out the route for our little road trip to arrive at the destination at the perfect time, not get bored from interstate driving, and not waste gas driving out of the way. Well, that would have been all fine and dandy, IF I had known that the lovely little shortcut of a road happened to go right through the middle of Oak Ridge National Laboratory and was therefore: "Closed to through traffic". Drat! Of course, me being who I am, I figured "that just means that they don't want a bunch of extra traffic, but it is still a open road". WRONG!!! At the security office I was informed that I would have to turn my cool old car around and go a different way. On the bright side... They liked my car.
Oh well... We are still ahead of schedule so no big deal.Time for plan B! By this time, I am really close to my school, so I can stop there and look up another route. That goes well until I go up the apparently quite slick on-ramp. The back end of my "Powerful American Musclecar" starts sliding sideways like a penguin in a toboggan race, through no prodding of my own! Luckily, I have done this before (Professional driver on a closed course, Don't try this at home kids) and know how to drive with it, until it catches again. It is worth noting that as we were drifting gracefully up the on-ramp at full opposite lock, "Bob" was sitting stock still staring straight ahead. That is, until I get it straightened out and continue merging with traffic. He then lets out something vaguely reminiscent of a rebel yell and shouts "WOW! That was AWESOME!"
For those of you that don't know, driving an old car is always an adventure because of what some may call Quirks. On my particular car, the seals that keep water from leaking in where the windshield wipers are only last 7-12 years, which would make mine about 20 years past due for replacement. However, I haven't been especially eager about tackling this particular project because it requires taking out the whole heat/AC unit. Yes, you guessed it, mine leak a little. Well, maybe a "little" would not the the word to use when driving through a mini tsunami from the sky! Torrents of water are pouring down onto the feet of the hapless chap(s) who happened to have their feet where they go... on the floor, under the dash. This is not a problem for "Bob" who proceeds to use his empty water bottle as a tool to "bail out" the water. Problem solved!
As the downpour subsides, I start to notice some cool cars here and there, and as another "Powerful American Musclecar" whooshes by with a window banner that says something to the effect of "Hot Rod Power Tour 2010", I know: We have caught up with the tour! From that point until about 6:00PM, I bask in the aura that is created when you mix high compression, large displacement engines with crafty nut-balls called "hot rodders!" Just for the record, there were supposed to be "over 2000 registered participants with that number again expected to join through the tour" and I would say that was a conservative estimate. Wow! Amazing experience and a blast to meet a bunch of people that I have heard about and check out their amazing rides!
About 6:00 ,however, people start leaving at an alarming rate! The party couldn't be over yet! Or could it? What a relief it is when I find out that everyone is just going downtown to the cruise-in that Coker Tire had set up. So grab a map and lets roll! We then cruise through beautiful downtown Chattanooga with the rumbles of yesteryear radiating through the dusk air. Coker Tire is nice enough to open up their museum, store and showroom to all the participants of Powertour. Amazing!
By about 8:45 the dark clouds are looming closer and closer and the wind is picking up... Signaling me that it is time to go! Driving out of Chattanooga is relatively uneventful, other than a slight mis-communication with Bob who was handling the navigation duties.
"turn RIGHT here"
"there is no RIGHT here, this is a bridge"
"Hmmm"
I soon take over the navigation duties as well as the driving. We are rolling along with traffic when suddenly I hear a strange thumping sound. Thumping is never good. When the left rear tire seems to sink into the pavement and the thumping gets louder at a somewhat alarming rate, my suspicions are confirmed: we have experienced a blowout. Blowout sales are good, tire blowouts are not. Oh look! That is the entrance to the college where everyone met! Lets turn in there! Great idea! Except that with the blown tire, I can't stop extremely quickly and miss the treadle. After the third light change, with no sign of getting a turn signal any time in the near future, I decide to just go for it... into the entrance, to the side of the road, Perfect! As many of you are probably thinking by now, that was too easy! Well, you are right. It seems in my haste to get ready to go, I neglected to include a spare tire in my car, as well as a jack. I do have a lug-wrench, though! 1 out of 3 isn't bad, right?
Luckily, my "network" is far reaching. I have a friend who lives really close. We will call her "Wonder Woman" or "Jane". Whip out the phone... Perfect, she has a jack! While we are waiting for "Wonder Woman" to swoop in, "Bob" has a great idea! He says THOSE words!!!! "Well, at least it can't get much worse" NOOO!!!! The pain, the agony!... The sky opens up and it starts to rain. Perfect!
"Jane" pulls up and I discover that her jack is one of those lovely little ones that raises the height of two small ants for every ten turns. Always the optimist, I decide to go for it. Just then, one of "Jane"'s friends shows up. He will go as "Smith". Now, lest you think that these friends are just hanging around to watch me slide across the wet ground and contort myself into strange positions trying to get the jack to work under the car, let me set the record straight! " Wonder woman", "Bob", and "Smith" spring into action trying to find a tire shop that is still open. Current time: 9:12pm. If you have never watched, from inches off the wet pavement, three people standing by the side of the road in the pouring rain with their cell phones, calling someone with a phone book, typing the numbers into a text screen, and calling the shops, respectively; let me tell you! It is an amazing feat of teamwork! I have some awesome friends! Guess what?! All the shops close at 9:00pm.
The last valiant effort on our part is a quick trip back downtown to Coker Tire where the cruise in was, maybe someone that can help will still be there! Nope. The soonest we can get a tire is 7:00am. Did I mention that we are 3.5 hours from home and "Bob" has to be at work at 8:00 am? Nuts! It was at this time that "Jane"'s family is kind enough to offer their couch and sofa bed to us for the night! "Bob" calls his boss and explains the situation. Verdict: Get there as soon as you can.
Well, after Pizza at midnight, a somewhat restless night, and a wonderful breakfast we have a new chauffeur, "Joe", who takes us to a tire shop where I proceed to stand with a flat tire in my hand for like 15 minutes, while the people rush back and forth doing other things... "oh, I didn't know you needed help.. I thought someone else was working with you". Wow. New tire on and a relatively un-eventful trip back home, during which I ask "Bob",
"So, will you ever go any where with me again?"
"Yes... ... Fishing."
As we are driving back, "Bob" decides to take a nap... Leaving me alone with my thoughts, and the wonderful lope of an American made V8 covering ground at a steady clip. Well, that and the other traffic which honks, beeps, waves, gives thumbs up and shouts, "I like your car!" Which reminds me why I like driving these "old cars". They have character, and are just plane cool!
Well, the good news is that "Bob" got to work and I got home and nobody got hurt. What a Day! Er... Two?

Hey all! Not much to report progress wise.. But I did make it into the August Issue of Popular Hotrodding magazine!!! Page 56 top left. I'll try to scan it in soon.

I like the way you adjust the front adjustable upper control arms. I want to apply it in my car. Great job! I think I should also restore my car this coming vacation. :D

I like the way you adjust the front adjustable upper control arms. I want to apply it in my car. Great job! I think I should also restore my car this coming vacation. :D

Did I show how I was gong to do it? Hmm I forgot... Anything you want more info about I would be glad to help you out. Welcome to FABO! and thanks for the compliments!

While not exactly earth shattering, I got a lot done on my daily duster since my last update. I finished my Choke conversion, made my overflow tanks, relocated the horns and worked over my leaf spring bushings.

The choke: I was getting really sick of the automatic choke working when it felt like it, and turning on whenever. So I converted it to manual choke. I made the bracket for inside to not be noticeable. And I made the other one to bolt to the carb in the same spot as the vacuum pot. Oh did I mention that I like everything perfect? I used a piece of a wrecked fender off of a dodge van for the interior plate. And spent about an hour getting it to fit perfect. Then I used a old gutter bracket (aluminum) for the other end. I got the choke cable from summit racing.

The piece:
100_0931.jpg

Shaped, drilled, and painted
100_0936.jpg

Installed
100_0938.jpg

Carb bracket
100_0970.jpg

through the firewall
100_0972.jpg

The overflow tanks were awesome! I didn't have room for one big tank so I made two smaller aluminum ones. I had to relocate the horns to fit them. I actually started with some aluminum energy drink bottles. Then I vented one, attached fittings to the bottom of both, painted them black, made a bracket, mounted them and installed them, now I should never have to open the radiator cap.

The bottles
100_0969-1.jpg

the fittings
100_0970-1.jpg

scuffed
100_0972-1.jpg

Painted
100_0971-1.jpg

bracket mounted
100_0978.jpg

tanks
100_0983.jpg

another view
100_0985.jpg

one more
100_0987.jpg

The horns I had to relocate because the overflow tanks needed to go there. I actually only had one installed because I had to take one out to make room for the big radiator. But now I have them both on. I wanted them to both be pointing the same direction so one is upside down.

New horn location
100_0974.jpg

The bushing work I did is because poly bushings have two main problems, binding and not letting the suspension articulate, and not letting the suspension "roll" in relation to the car which can cause the car to "hop" around corners. So I clearanced the edges to allow it to roll, cut down the edges so it doesn't bind and am installing grease fittings when I put them on. Just a note: don't try to cut poly bushings on a lathe. Or, if you want to ignore my advice, just spin it really fast so it will cut better.

Action shot
128_0803.jpg

All four done
128_0804.jpg

A better view
128_0808.jpg

Oh! By the way... I have no clue if those bushings will work right. Or even be safe... So Don't try them until I have a chance to test them.

Thanks!

Interesting stuff. I see your struggles with the Addco mounting hardware. Since you have a welder, you might consider an approach like we took on the Valiant. The brackets we made are from 1/8 thick stock. I have no better pictures, unfortunately.

valiant42.jpg

Hey ,congats on makin it in PHR again. I was surprized to see ya in it . big thumbs up

And the big surprise is... :

I got a rather large box in the mail yesterday. Guess What was inside!

128_1102.jpg

Dodge Viper Calipers!!!

128_1104.jpg

Made by:

128_1108.jpg

Which ones do you think will stop better?

128_1105.jpg

Of course they won't just bolt on.. I have to make an adapter. And a new bearing hub. But they should stop like dropping an anchor!

More updates soon! Thanks for looking!

That is right... I got another box..

This was in it:

parts.jpg

What could it be? Bolts, clevises, rod ends threaded tube, cone spacers, jamb nuts, ball-joints and some studs... Sounds like, Suspension parts!!!!

I'll let you know what it is all for soon. I still have to get a couple more parts.

So I have made some good progress this week. I assembled most of the components from the box (see previous post), Worked a lot on my three-link design, and started on bodywork.

The components in the box turned out like this. They went together nicely and should work great. I am working on a new swaybar system before I put them on.

100_0984-1.jpg

My Suspension is still in the planning stage. But it is a 3-link with either a panhard or a watts link, I am not sure yet.

And I got sick of looking at bondo flaking off so I decided to start messing with the bodywork.. This is after I helped the lose bondo off with a screwdriver.

100_0986.jpg

Then I ground it down and separated the tail panel, cut out the rusty spot, patched it, welded everything back together, and ground down the welds. Unfortunately I forgot to take pics of all this. Until I got to the skim coat of filler.

100_0987-1.jpg

Then I decided that I didn't like the rock ship rust spots on the side so I started working around the side. But I stopped so I wouldn't get carried away and grind down the whole car.

100_0989.jpg

And that is about it for now...

Thanks for looking!

-
Back