A Teenager and His Swinger

-
So guys a cam and lifters were ordered today. The motor is being put on the engine stand this weekend. Next week is going to be full of work.

The trunk floor wasn't properly fixed. Fiberglass was applied over some pretty nasty holes. Luckily a Dart in our field has a perfect trunk floor that's going to be sacrificed. Rear axle and K member swap along with new brakes will be added.

I also found a rust hole in the passenger floor pan that's about the size of a quarter. It's covered by brand new carpet, and I don't know if I should pull up the carpet and fix it, or just leave it be. Even though you can't tell it's there I'll know it is and that will bother me haha. Any thoughts? I'll eventually fix it, but I just didn't know if I should take the time now or just wait. It really isn't a problem, but it needs fixing before it gets worse.

Here's the trunk floor. It's pretty rough. This isn't the only place that it's bad. There's some soft spots covered in fiberglass that I'm sure is rusted through. I'm going to fix it and make the trunk look way better than this.

Also here is the hole in the floor. Where it's already rusted through is the size of a quarter, but I know once I start working with it it'll end up being bigger. I think I'm just going to leave that alone, then I'll fix it later on. My focus is mainly getting this car back running and driving. Then I'll focus on the minor details.

Attachments

• photo (19).jpg
    85 KB · Views: 773
  • photo (20).jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 773
  • photo (22).jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 767
Here you go. I'll let everyone see it. I don't want them to miss out haha. It's a 1960 Dodge 1 ton put on an S10 frame. Cammed 360 that sounds incredible. This is the only picture I have at the moment but I'll post a walkaround I made of it from YouTube in just a minute.
thats a badass truck!

Does anyone know of a good place to buy original paint colors in spray cans? I know of Totally Auto, but I wasn't sure if there were any other suggestions.

Thanks to everyone who has checked out this build so far. Make sure to keep posted this weekend for more pictures and updates.

Does anyone know of a good place to buy original paint colors in spray cans? I know of Totally Auto, but I wasn't sure if there were any other suggestions.

Thanks to everyone who has checked out this build so far. Make sure to keep posted this weekend for more pictures and updates.

I think advance sells some. I'm not 100%

dude jeep, dart, and really bad A$$ truck. i think DarTT said right!

Guys there are many more cool Mopars around my house if you'd like to see them.

Real 1970 'Cuda 383 4 speed

Real 1970 Challenger R/T convertible

1969 Dodge Dart convertible

1973 Challenger R/T clone

A few mid 70s Trucks

1946 Dodge truck

And my grandparents have a real 1979 Lil' Red Express that my dad restored.

Plenty to share. Just let me know and I'll let you guys see.

Guys there are many more cool Mopars around my house if you'd like to see them.

Real 1970 'Cuda 383 4 speed

Real 1970 Challenger R/T convertible

1969 Dodge Dart convertible

1973 Challenger R/T clone

A few mid 70s Trucks

1946 Dodge truck

And my grandparents have a real 1979 Lil' Red Express that my dad restored.

Plenty to share. Just let me know and I'll let you guys see.
I don't think anyone here can ever say no to car ****

Here is my dad's Mopars. Hopefully soon I can add to it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 683
A great trade IMO, and the dart looks real nice for sure
X2 on the Truck!! Looking forward to watching this build

Girls name Lana :glasses7:
Boys name Burt :D

Hey guys progress has been made.

Here's the 360. Not very pretty at the moment, but it's going to look and run great when it's all said and done. The cam, lifters, gaskets, and timing set have arrived.

I pulled out the rear end from the Swinger and my Dart Sport. The Sport has a 7.25 that I'm using temporarily since I had already put all new brakes and brake lines on it AND it's big bolt pattern. The Swinger has a 8.75 rear with 3.23 posi gears that I'm definitely using. The only thing is that it's small bolt. I'm going to put this one aside and wait until I can afford to rebuild the brakes and order some big bolt axles for it.

This beautifully rusty 4 door Dart is being sacrificed for it's trunk floor. I cut it out and set it aside for cleaning. I still have to cut out the floors from the Swinger. Whoever "repaired" the floor in it taped a piece of cardboard over the rust and fiberglassed over it. Nothing else.

These are the only pictures I took before it got too dark to take any. I'll take more tomorrow and post them. I also removed the steering column and I'm putting in a floor shift column that has a new ignition switch. Then I'm going to sand the engine bay and spread a little bondo where the metal has been pitted. IMO a Mopar like this needs to look just as nice under the hood as it does outside.

More to come tomorrow. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• photo (29).jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 642
  • photo (30).jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 655
  • photo (28).jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 665
  • photo (27).jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 654
  • photo (26).jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 663
  • photo (25).jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 658
  • photo (24).jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 664
  • photo (23).jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 664
good lookin dart love that 60 dodge trk sounds bad as hell also like your dads power wagon in the collection photo

So here's the rear axle that's temporarily going in the car. This thing was nasty, but it's nothing that a wire brush, sandpaper, and some paint can't fix.

Also I got my floor shift steering column. I'll clean it up and paint it in the near future.

The trunk floor from the four door Dart is very solid. I'm going to have to cut some metal and make a patch in the Swinger for where all the fiberglass was. This rust is luckily the worst part of the car. Nothing that can't be fixed.

Also I did a little sanding on the inner fenders. I still have to unbolt everything from the firewall and sand everything smooth. I love to paint so this will be interesting.

More progress soon. Thanks.

Attachments

• photo (36).jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 649
  • photo (35).jpg
    58 KB · Views: 635
  • photo (34).jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 646
  • photo (37).jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 636
  • photo (32).jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 647
  • photo (31).jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 639
  • photo (38).jpg
    64 KB · Views: 620
  • photo (33).jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 624
So today I cleaned up my brake booster and master cylinder and painted them.
I think they turned out perfect.

Also I pulled off the front fenders from the 4 door. We're parting out this car since it's pretty far gone. Tomorrow I'm pulling off all the doors and trim to get ready for a Mopar show coming up this weekend. I'll be sure to get pictures.

And I got out my gas tank from my Dart Sport that I bought new. Does anyone know whether or not this thing will work in my Swinger? If not I have a tank out of (I think) a 67-69 Dart that isn't as nice. I really hope either one works so I can save a good bit of money using it. (The tank had a little dirt inside from sitting in our barn, not rust)

This weekend the new trunk floor will be welded in. After that, the gas tank and rear end will go in. I'm going to see if the exhaust from my Sport will also work with my Swinger.

Attachments

• photo (47).jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 632
  • photo (41).jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 629
  • photo (43).jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 625
  • photo (42).jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 612
  • photo (44).jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 624
  • photo (40).jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 622
  • photo (39).jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 627
Well I'm having trouble figuring out what color my Dart is exactly. I need some paint for the engine bay but I can't get it. The guy that painted it said the car was the original color for a 1967 Dart that he painted before. Any help or idea?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 582
Well the trunk floor is wayyyyyy worse than I anticipated. I cut out most of it and got it ready to replace. The filler neck is junk too, and I have a few spares to pick from. Then I sanded the steering column as well.

I picked the Sport up in the front and I'm getting ready to pull out the whole K member.

The trunk floor got welded in tonight. It's only been spot welded in. I'll take pictures tomorrow since it got too dark to take any. I'm going to pick up some seam sealer and clean up everything and paint it.

The last picture is a drawing I did showing how I felt having to stand up in the middle of the trunk floor and dig all the rust out haha.

More work to come tomorrow.

Attachments

• photo (56).jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 585
  • photo (55).jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 598
  • photo (54).jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 589
  • photo (53).jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 584
  • photo (52).jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 580
  • photo (51).jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 586
  • photo (50).jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 588
  • photo (49).jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 588
  • photo (57).jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 601
Trunk floor is finished. Set the rear end back in the car and started work on the front.

Also had paint mixed that was as close as I could possibly get to the cars color. With the whole front suspension out from the the car, I'll be able to clean the engine bay, paint it, and then begin work on the motor. Plenty of pictures to come.

Anyone know where I can get some air shocks?

-
Back