A Teenager and His Swinger

-
Well here is some more work done. The K member was removed from both the Swinger and the Sport. I didn't get any pictures of that, but I will.

Since I got that out of the way, I prepped the engine bay for paint. I did a little bodywork on some rough areas and sanded the whole thing as smooth as glass. Last week I had some paint mixed from O'Reilly's that cost $55. I thought it was fairly close when I did some test trials with it, but it turns out that it was too different to work. The blue was too light for it to match. In certain angles in certain light, it looked like an exact match, but I knew it was just too different. My dad had picked up some cheap generic royal blue paint from Tractor Supply just to see if we could darken it by painting with this first and then adding the light blue over it. It turned out that this generic blue was almost an exact match to the body color, so I left it like it was. I'll post a picture tomorrow to show you the differences of both paints.

Also I'm going to be spending a day or so on the new K member that's going in.

We took the heads off the 360 and it turns out that this motor doesn't have many miles after a rebuild. You can still see scratches from machining on the cylinder walls. I know I have a good motor. It ran perfectly before we pulled it out of a truck a few years ago. Once I finish the K member, it will go back in and the motor will get some much needed attention.

Attachments

• photo (58).jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 723
  • photo (59).jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 737
  • photo (60).jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 746
  • photo (61).jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 736
  • photo (62).jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 724
The K member was cleaned up and painted today. It took me pretty much most of my day to get this thing done. I painted it black and then the calipers were painted silver.

Also the transmission was painted today too. It's a rebuilt 904 that I got with the car that came with a brand new stall. A B&M flexplate was ordered yesterday. I would use my 727 that I bought, but I can't afford to buy a stall right now. I may put it in one one day along with the 8 3/4 that came with the car as well, but money is short and I can't rebuild the brakes and buy big bolt axles. Oh well, maybe eventually.

All the parts needed for my gas tank is on the way as well.

Also picked up a new fuel pump and water pump. As soon as the K member goes back in, the engine will be next.

Attachments

• photo (66).jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 723
  • photo (65).jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 721
  • photo (64).jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 730
  • photo (63).jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 738
Today the front suspension was bolted back in finally. I haven't picked up any shocks yet so I'll have to pick up some here soon. I got to set the wheels on the car just to get a look at what it looks like. I love the way these wheels look.

I didn't do much else but paint the aluminum intake and pull the water and fuel pump off the motor. I plan to add the floor shifter in this weekend. Until then, I'll put in the steering column, brake booster and master cylinder, and the wiper motor.

Attachments

• photo (70).jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 728
  • photo (69).jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 723
  • photo (68).jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 713
  • photo (67).jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 715
Today I got to set the car down on the ground for the first time in a long time.

So I put in the steering column and my Tuff wheel so I can move it around easier.

I also got a bunch of new parts including tank straps and bolts, rubber grommet, filler neck boot, flex plate, and A/C delete pulleys.

Then I got out my engine harness from my Dart Sport out. A brand new dash wiring harness came with the car.

The gas tank is going in, then I'll work on my dash, seats, shifter, motor, then a pain of wiring.

More to come!

Attachments

• photo (72).jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 700
  • photo (73).jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 684
Sorry guys for the lack of updates. Summit screwed my order up and set me back for a few weeks. I ordered a cam, lifters, timing chain, and a gasket set. They sent everything right except the cam. No big deal, we sent it back and they gave me a new one. This time I got a big block cam. Now I was a little mad by then since I had just waited a week for a wrong cam. I sent it backand had to wait another week. Got it and finally got to put it in. I finally got to start reassembling the motor. In a few days the motor was painted with no big issues. Then when it came time to bolt up the 904 (can't afford a good 727 yet), The new stall that came with the car was said to be for a 904. Well it turns out that it wasn't and I had to make a quick call to a friend to see if he had one that would work. Lo and behold he had what I needed. So by the next day I had it and put it in, bolted it to the motor, and we set it in the car no problem. This is the first time in months since the car has seen the light of day.

Attachments

• photo (6).jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 682
  • photo (7).jpg
    61 KB · Views: 680
  • photo (8).jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 682
  • photo (9).jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 680
  • photo (11).jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 696
  • photo (14).jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 681
  • photo (15).jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 662
So today a lot got done. All the pulleys, fan, radiator, power steering pump, fuel pump, and a lot of other parts were put on for the last time.

It's getting closer and closer every day.

Also, does anyone know about the conections from the engine harness to the under dash harness? The metal connectors seem to be a bit too wide to work, yet the rest will work. Are they different from '72 to '74, or am I just not trying hard enough? If they are, where can I get the right ones?

Attachments

• photo (30).jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 683
  • photo (28).jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 665
  • photo (27).jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 666
  • photo (29).jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 678
  • photo (26).jpg
    62 KB · Views: 663
  • photo (25).jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 682
  • photo (24).jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 694
  • photo (23).jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 659
  • photo (22).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 678
  • photo (21).jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 663
The Bulkhead connections go into certain places look for the little locator pins to line up on the sides of the conectors
Also make sure no old connectors are stuck in the bulkhead

The Bulkhead connections go into certain places look for the little locator pins to line up on the sides of the conectors
Also make sure no old connectors are stuck in the bulkhead

That's the first thing I tried. It would go on but it wouldn't connect all the way. Like something was holding it back.

Well guys I have a choice. I have a complete 1974 Dart Sport dash with every bit of wiring. I don't know if I should take out the old dash and put this one in, or just put in the under dash wiring harness in the one already in the car (got the harness with the car). If I keed the dash in it, I'll have to rewire it and find a new wood grain piece for the heater switches which wouldn't be hard. Or I can repaint the new dash, and just bolt it in. The big issue is that I really didn't want to pull the windshield out until I had a new one. It's got a few bad spots in it that look bad. What should I do? I might be leaving details out so ask away.

Sorry for the lack of updates everyone. School has started back and it's hard to find the time to post something.

The car runs beautifully. There were some leaks here and there, but this car is just awesome. I'll post a video as soon as possible of the car idling. Here it is after a wash for the first time in too long.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 605
Nice job I'm in college now and I too built my own car keep up the good work it's well worth it

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Attachments

• photo_001.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 593
Sounds freakin awesome and looks great dude. Has the perfect stance.
Got a question what sixe tire are you running on those cop wheels on front and back? Any mods to make them fit?

255/60s on the rear, 215/70's (I think. Can't remember right now) on the front. They fit fine for me. The front tires didn't rub on the short trip I drove.

Nice Dart. Cool truck! In my opinion, with those white door inserts I would put in blue carpet and do the seats in a blue and white to match. Very cool.

Nice Dart. Cool truck! In my opinion, with those white door inserts I would put in blue carpet and do the seats in a blue and white to match. Very cool.

The blue and white seats would be great. That may be a possible addition down the road.

Here's a picture of the repainted gauge cluster. I think it looks good against the blue.

Attachments

• photo (31).jpg
    71 KB · Views: 521
I've picked up a set of Monroe shocks that I haven't had the chance to put on just yet. The brake booster froze up while it sat in the barn, so I'm taking it to exchange for a new one. Also I picked up a non A/C heater box and controls for free. Whenever the heater box goes in, major wiring can begin. The car can spin over by the key, but it's losing fire until you let off. Any ideas why?

-
Back