A855 - 5 Speed

-
Paid via check, only accepted payment method, at the time at least. Had to dust off my checkbook.
Have pic of check, bank pdf of cashed check, bank statement.
Also a detailed log of every interaction.
I'm prepared to take another path, if/when necessary.
John agreed to test and send video of new trans in car working, and send a new 3 year warranty in writing.
Until I receive those, and an undamaged trans on a pallet in a crate, I don't remove my trans or even order fluid.
I will know within the next two weeks which way this will go, whether based on new info or my decision to call it.

Just for clarity, the A855 case is not the same as the A833 at all.

John has 3 a-body trans, one pops out of 4th, one has a grinding noise, one hasn't been tested. He is hoping to get a trans sorted for me next week. There are 3 other people he is trying to help as they have been left out in the cold, as the saying goes.

Per John, he is an investor, Yellowstone Garage is a restaurant, an old shop converted which also houses his personal cars. He doesn't own the company or product, and Passon has no interest in taking responsibility for the A855 because, apparently, he's out of it.

Yet, the A855 is still on the Passon website for sale, in fact it's the only place where it is listed.

The one in my car now will not stay in 4th at all. To date it has 437 miles on it.
If you're keeping score, my trans was 'fixed' twice, and my replacement trans was 'fixed' twice, and both still pop out of 4th.
It will be 1 year this has been going on next month.

I asked John to keep doing what he is doing, but I will be contacting Passon.

I just called GFI and Passon, no answer of course, left a message.

John, GFI, and Passon, are all well aware of who I am, the details, the issues, and have all discussed it on various occasions.

GFI and Passon refuse to:
  • Give me my money back.
  • Take any responsibility or meaningful action.
  • Call me back.
  • Respond to my emails.
  • Honor an active warranty.
  • And there's the lying and blaming the customer.
Passon took my money for a 5 speed and I did not receive what I paid for, basically I received a junk 4 speed.

@Jamie Passon you're a criminal and a theif, and it's unconscionable for you to advertise for sale a 5 speed that suffers from, at a minimum, a serious issue that no one involved can determine the exact cause and/or solution.

And it doesn't matter that 'some' trans work fine, or some are 'fixed' eventually, at least not to people like me who got screwed, or those who are in store for a good screwing in the future when something goes south.

You owe me $6,004.86, total, for the trans, fluid, and shipping.

Wow talk about a person that has no integrity and honor. Based on what you have been through Jamie should be ashamed of himself. It’s people like him that make everyone reluctant to shell out big money for new equipment. So sorry for your troubles and loss matthon. Six grand is a huge chunk of money.

I was going to shelve a 4spd bought from a lying member here, deciding to deal with it for the season, wait till winter and buy a pro built. Passon`s a little cheaper, but I`ll spend extra and give Mr. Brewer my hard earned cash.

Sorry your still dealing with this Matthon. You`d probably spend the same taking it to court.:bs_flag:

Well, I guess I'm "lucky" in a way...
After several back and forth shipping events of my 18 spline A833 that came in my 70 V-code Roadrunner, I replaced it with a 855 that has performed flawlessly.
It makes a little gear noise in the lowest gears (1st & 2nd) but that doesn't bother me, at all, and I guess it's reminiscent of the M-22 "rock crusher" although I've never heard one as far as I know. It's been great, under ALL circumstances, including power "no lift" shifting at the occasional track night. To be clear, I keep the gas pedal planted to keep the 6bbl open, but bump the clutch pedal to grab the next gear. I have put down the deposit on the "new" Bill Mitchell aluminum RB block, and I'm planning on a 6XX HP and close to 700 ft lb 540 cu in stroker build up.
If I ever have a problem with broken parts in the 855, my decision would be based on what caused the breakage. If it's too much power, then I'll have to look at another kind of 5 speed, have the 855 repaired, and sell it.
I am keeping my 18 spline 833 as a "spare" if I ever get it back from Passon, who has it for the 4th time now. Originally I sent it in because it was sloppy, but most of that was resolved by a correct Hurst Competition Plus shifter assembly and the correct hardware, vs the hot mess that was on it when I bought the car. I asked Passon to go through the 833 and replace anything that should be replaced, and while he was at it, install the "slick shift" synchros he advertises because I figured that would aid shift speed at the track. The 833 has performed better than I could ask, except that ever since Passon got it the 1st time, it pops out of 3rd gear. Now since I've had my 855, which I'll reiterate, works great under all circumstances, I've been without my 833 which Passon has had for over 2 years, to "finally" fix the 3rd gear popping out issue. If I get the 833 by the end of the year, I'll be happy, IF it doesn't pop out of gear in 3rd, and the only way I'm going to know that is the next time I have to drop the 855, for a clutch disc change or similar thing, unless I want to swap to test and then put the 855 back in once I'm satisfied that the 3rd gear issue is resolved. Although i have the 3.54 gears I removed and replaced with 4.10s once I installed the 855, and driving on 4.10s with the 833 would mean no 70 mph highway trips, I'd rather have the 833 for a spare and be able to drive some than have nothing should the 855 require a long repair time.
So I'm lucky that the 855 works great, but not so lucky that I'm without my 833, and that I've had to install and remove it 3 times now.

If you break either of those gear boxes you need a better clutch.

If you break either of those gear boxes you need a better clutch.
Thanks! You should read the "gloom and doom" posts I get on FBBO...You would think no one ever raced a 6XX-HP and torque manual transmission car without scattering parts all over the 1320.
I have a Hydramax hydraulic throwout bearing and HitMaster launch control system going in over the next few weeks along with Calvert split mono leaf springs and sliders, Assassin traction bars, and double adjustable Viking rear shocks (I already have DA Viking shocks on the front) Blowing the tires off the start or having to roll out a couple of car lengths then flooring it isn't good for 60 ft times or ET, so the HitMaster should resolve several problems or potential damage. My current motor is probably in the mid 4XX HP and 5XX torque range, basically a warmed over 440 6bbl.
I'm keeping my 3rd pedal!!

You`d probably spend the same taking it to court.

Exactly. I believe I mentioned this a few posts back, when Christine mentioned they've had multiple meetings on me.

They've made a conscious, deliberate decision to completely ignore a customer who is still under warranty as it's cheaper.

What a bunch of slimeballs.

Guess what, no one called me back from my multiple messages on Friday.

To those who have a 'good' trans, or have had great interactions with loser Passon and lying GFI, just remember this is the moment when they show their true colors.

I recall the perfect quote, iirc:
When someone shows you who they are, believe them.

Exactly. I believe I mentioned this a few posts back, when Christine mentioned they've had multiple meetings on me.

They've made a conscious, deliberate decision to completely ignore a customer who is still under warranty as it's cheaper.

What a bunch of slimeballs.

Guess what, no one called me back from my multiple messages on Friday.

To those who have a 'good' trans, or have had great interactions with loser Passon and lying GFI, just remember this is the moment when they show their true colors.

I recall the perfect quote, iirc:
When someone shows you who they are, believe them.
I hear your grief and side with your story, but the ball is squarely in your side of the court to start the process for resolution.
Escalating the issue by hiring a lawyer to initiate due process has been recommended to you. It is time for you to either do that or accept the fact that you own an expensive 5 speed junk-POS transmission and move on.

Sent an email today, via the Passon website and to Jamie himself.

Will follow up within a few days with a more detailed certified letter, then a for hire professional letter.

Checked the jurisdiction civil limits in PA, it looks like it will cover the full amount plus.

3 days without a call back from any business is absolutely unacceptable, let alone 2.

I'm not accepting the fact that I now own an expensive 5 speed junk-POS transmission, and I'm going to continue to voice my concerns.

Part of the letter sent today:

SUBJECT: A833 5 SPEED GEARBOX PRODUCT IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY and BREACH OF CONTRACT

With reference to the above and further to various correspondence between myself, you, your company, GFI (Garrett Fuss Inc.), Seth Garret, Christine Garrett, and John Huff, I confirm my belief that the new A833 5 SPEED GEARBOX purchased by myself and delivered on May 3, 2018 is not of merchantable quality. In addition, Passon Performance, Inc. and Garrett Fuss Inc. are in breach of contract.

Therefore, I am formally requesting you provide a refund in the amount $6,004.86:

Check made payable to Passon Performance and cashed on 4/20/2018:

$5,760.00

Gear oil, 3 quarts each time I had to install transmission:

$116.32

Shipping for warranty work:

$128.54

Total:

$6,004.86

The total does not include additional time and funds spent due to multiple installations and removals, the purchase of specific parts required to install the A855, among them a new 18 spline clutch and shifter handle, and the loss of use of the vehicle.

It also does not include packing and shipping back to you, which of course, should be the responsibility of you and your company as I should not be subjected to any additional negative impacts.

The particulars of the claim against the IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY are as follows:

1. Gearbox does not function correctly and as designed, for it’s intended purpose or ordinary use, in particular the inability to stay in 4th gear under normal driving conditions.

2. Following extensive research of your product, and confirmation from both GFI and John Huff, it appears this improper function is a known defect.

The particulars of the claim against the BREACH OF CONTRACT are as follows:

1. Passon/GFI refuses to honor the terms of the active warranty, demonstrated by the failure to reply to multiple communications, as well as the refusal to honor the written agreement to supply a new gearbox of equal or higher specifications.

2. Passon/GFI’s inability to supply a new gearbox of equal or higher specification within a reasonable amount of time, and based on the status of my current transmission as well as the replacement transmission, at all.

I have attached a detailed list highlighting some of the dealings with your company and its' subsidiaries to date, including proof of purchase.

I trust this matter will be dealt with promptly and professionally, and consideration will be given to the distress and inconvenience that has been caused to myself and my family.

Fastest callback ever.
Don't tell me my beef should be with GFI, GFI should be the recipient of my letter, it's in my warranty that I cannot get anyone to send to me.

I don't care what issues need to be worked out between the 3 parties, or who is not being truthful to each other, and subsequently to me.

I'm done being in the middle. Blaming the customer for any dysfunction between 3 business partners is not a good practice.

The last thing a customer wants to hear first and throughout is you're not responsible, it's not your fault it's someone else, and all about your problems. I have experienced this throughout.

I was unsuccessful in getting a call back for weeks in the beginning, I was told I needed something from a certified mechanic that it was installed correctly, and most recently I didn't get a callback from this past Friday.

It's on the Passon website, advertised as the Passon Performance A-855 Five Speed Transmission, only advertised there, check made payable to Passon Performance, I don't care that you need to get the money from GFI, you get the letter.

I need people on my side, if it's just me, which it has been for months, then fine.

I need the refund I requested.

I am reasonable and patient.

Waiting for a callback.

I stated on the onset that my goal was not to bash anyone, but find a solution, and provide the opportunity for any issue to be resolved.

My goal is still the same, however, how I obtain it is not dictated by me. Any feedback and frustration is based on the information I am receiving and the actions that are taken, or not taken.

Compiling data to keep this moving, and I just keep re-discovering things that make zero sense to me.

These are the facts:

December 3, 2019
Your new transmission has been built. I have hand picked every part specifically for this unit and made some modifications that I believe will ensure trouble free operation. I have finally discovered a symptom of the 4th gear pop out that all the transmissions that do pop out have in common. Since I now have a way to determine if they will pop out this means I can finally test and modify a unit until the symptoms go away and I will know it will not pop out again and then fix the rest of the troubled units the same way. Your new unit shows these signs and therefore is my test unit currently. I have already done some custom machining to the case and made the 4th gear shift feel much more secure when its in gear.

December 27, 2019
The reason I am emailing you is to update you on your replacement unit. It is in a crate with 8 other transmission waiting to go off to our partners test facility to go through road testing. I have spent a few days on this unit with modifying and testing until I got the unit to where I expect no issues. In this process we have been able to up our quality standard of all our future units and have also made some changes to components in the transmission to eradicate this pop-out issue across the board.

January 6, 2020
I sent 9 transmissions back for re-testing after they popped out of 4th like yours did and they had a 100% success rate on the fix. The only difference between those units and your current unit is a heavier side cover spring. I know you do not want to R&D the transmission anymore but I don't have any reason to believe this fix would not work on your unit.

These are strictly my comments only:
Made modifications to the replacement unit. I take this as modifications beyond the standard units.
A symptom has been discovered, and the replacement unit shows these signs. No idea what this means, but it's not a good start for the replacement of a unit that has a known issue.
Custom machining has been done to the replacement case.
Replacement unit has had changes to components in the transmission.
Replacement unit was sent for testing, in a crate with 8 other trans.
All 9 transmissions had a 100% success rate (although it appears this was debunked later, let's go with it).

Conclusion by GFI: The only difference between those units, which includes the replacement, and my current one, is a single spring.

Judging by the written communications only, listed above by date, that is factually inaccurate, and I am unable to come to the same conclusion.

FYI: I responded 4 days later, referencing both emails and conversations.

Let's go back to the 100% success rate being debunked by both John and Christine. It is interesting to see that prior to January 6th the honesty was flowing, although confusing. Once the replacement was tested, I received the January 6th email, which was the last email I ever received.
I received 1 communication from GFI after that, which was the phone call from Christine, after I called 3 times in a row, and nothing since.

This isn't me ranting, I'm working, and I cannot see any reason not to share.

Last edited:
Posted this FABO link over on FBBO: A855 - 5 Speed

I'm not updating anything there, but I did respond to some baloney about how I was wrong for painting the trans.

Feel free to share on other Mopar forums, as I do not belong to any others, yet.

Enjoy!

Part of the letter sent today:
SUBJECT: A833 5 SPEED
You know as a 855 happy owner I'm following this, mostly on FBBO because, well, I drive a B-Body.
This may seem/be insignificant, but when writing a "legal document" some errors could be fatal. You either made a mistake in the line I quoted or on your letter.
The 5 speed is a 855, NOT a 833.
Just trying to help.

6/22/2020, Monday – Jamie called me, 15 min call.

Jamie stated he spoke to Christine and John, and John has a replacement trans for me, and it will be tested 10 times more than a regular trans, including the distance it is driven.

He asked me if I had been to Carlisle, or was going to Carlisle? I said no I’m not going.

He asked me for the city I lived in, then my full address, was looking it up, asked me to verify a main road, a side street, what the front of my house looked like, my garage.

I asked, “where are we going with this?” as it was not clear at all and I’m thinking, I’m not driving to Carlisle.

He said he really didn’t like my attitude, and something else unintelligible.

I said, hold on, I asked a legitimate question, and based on my letter and our last phone call, where I clearly stated that I want a refund, it is not clear why you are asking these questions, and frankly the conversation should have started with how we are moving forward.

I restated, it was a legitimate question, it is still not clear how we are moving forward, if you detect any attitude it is definitely frustration, however the fact remains it is a legitimate question.

I may have the exact quotes off a little, but I know I stated it was a legitimate question 3 times.

He said he wanted to check to see how far away I am, to see how long it will take for him to come to my house and swap trans.

No thank you, I just want a refund, it has been almost a year, I’m not taking any more chances, I want out of this as soon as possible. I still have to order another clutch, and sort out my old trans.

He said if a I want a refund, I need to crate it. I replied, no thank you. Asked if I still had the crate, no, GFI drove it here last time.

He said he could come and get it, to which I replied it is still in the car. He said, well if you’re not ready just let me know when you have it out and we’ll go from there.

No. I said we need to set expectations and establish responsibility now, and if we cannot determine a day/time for this to occur now, we need to set a timeframe to have it completed.

What is the refund amount, he replied the $6,004.86.

How is it being paid? He said check. Bank or personal? Business.

I said, how about paypal? He said, when he arrives? Agreed.

On to when. He said, more than once, I need to be understanding as it is the busy time of year.

I thought to myself, no, I’ve reached my understanding limit regarding the problems facing Passon/GFI/John.

He said, within the next 30 days.

I said, we need to set a timeframe, I can have it out tomorrow, or by Saturday, or whenever, any day, any time.

He said, this Sat/Sun (6/27, 6/28) is not possible.

Ok, how about next week, anytime?

He said he’ll have to check, and he has to confirm with Christine on when the payment/refund can be made.

I didn’t mention it again, however, it is definitely not my concern how or from who the refund comes from, I paid Passon for a Passon 5 speed and Passon cashed it.

I said ok, tentative for next week, but if not next week, we need to set a definitive timeframe for completion.

He said he will call Christine and get back to me later today, or tomorrow. (He never got back to me, I called on 7/3)

I reminded Jamie that any frustration I have is legitimate as I did what I was supposed to do, I questioned things that did not make sense, I followed the directions given by everyone involved, I spent a year on this, and I want out and to be done with this.

I am grateful it appears to be moving in the right direction, however reasonably skeptical.

I do not understand why there is still a push to take a consolation prize, a side cover, a replacement with modifications and machining, a replacement that has been tested and retested, a replacement that has been tested above and beyond any other trans.

I sent a letter, a had a conversation, I want a refund.

Today I receive a call with initially no clear purpose. I said hello and how are you, and kept my mouth shut awaiting answers to the open questions from the last conversation and new information.

I get questions that do not appear to have anything in common with where we left off, and I have an attitude?

Friday, he claimed that was the first he heard of my issue, so from that call to within a few minutes of the second call he’s decided he’s tired of my attitude.

Some context for the time between 6/22 and 7/3:
I have my own problems to deal with and I'm responsible for others.
I have a small garage, needed to make room to pull the trans, needed to find the time.
I knew it would not take long to pull it, and it only took a few hours, best time to date!
We determined that I would not make contact again until the trans was out and we were 100% ready to move forward with the refund at any time, any date.

7/3/2020, Friday – I called Jamie, 3min call.

I called Passon and informed Jamie that the trans was out and I was ready to complete this return/refund asap on any day/time.

Jamie informed me, ‘If you sent me an email during the last few weeks our email was down, and this person was blaming that person, and they were blaming someone else.’

He added, he was going to Carlisle next week, the week of the July 6th.

I said, I figured the next step was for me to remove the trans, and if I didn’t hear from you before then I would call once it is out and ready.

I asked, the week of the 13th (7/13 Monday), within that week can we get this done?

Jamie replied, ‘I smashed my crystal ball in the driveway yesterday.’

I said, ok, then the next step is I will wait for a call from you the following Monday, July 13th.

Jamie replied, ‘After being at Carlisle all week, driving, and getting home late Sunday, I can’t say I’ll be up and calling you early Monday morning. If you don’t hear from me by Tuesday, call me.’

He also mentioned again that he has to coordinate with Christine (from GFI).

The hypocrisy is stunning.

Telling your customer, about your email issue where multiple parties are blaming each other, no one is taking ownership, the problem is not being addressed, nothing is getting done, and the frustration you are experiencing as the customer, while your own customer is experiencing the same exact issue at a much larger scale, is unreal.

The whole crystal ball line is unprofessional, amplified by his own accusation of me having an attitude when I asked a legitimate question during our last conversation, where he stated he didn’t like my attitude.

The customer, who spent thousands and did not receive a product of merchantable quality, should not be subjected to your problems or even be privy to them. Nor should the onus to make contact in order to resolve fall on the customer.

If you and only you know your email does not work, complain to someone else, and instead of waiting for the customer to call, take the initiative and reach out to them.

Jamie said on June 22nd this would be completed within 30 days. To request a tentative date within the last 10 days is more than reasonable.

Ask me when I’m able to provide service to a customer, and at the least I can let you know the days/times I am unavailable.

The reality is, I am not able to drive to Carlisle this week, and it is in fact an hour and a half farther, so next week is the week.

Last edited:
Too bad you can't make it to Carlisle. Would be interesting to hang out in front of his booth, wearing a sandwich board with the details...

Too bad you can't make it to Carlisle. Would be interesting to hang out in front of his booth, wearing a sandwich board with the details...

Yep, I’d be at Carslisle and show everyone what’s going on.

You’ve been screwed with plenty long enough. If they can’t take a proven design like the 833 and just add a gear and make it stay in gear is just plain stupid.

Whatever they have wrong can’t be that hard to fix. I mean really, it’s a freaking 5 speed gear box. They didn’t invent it, and it was made functional long ago.

I like the sandwich board idea, however I can't think of a concise message to convey everything.

I feel sick to my stomach, my daughter hears all of these calls, knows the details of all the fixes and solutions and has heard multiple times that this person or that person will put an end to this and resolve.

Yet, she still makes the same mistake, as she did last weekend, expecting we would take the Barracuda out for a drive, just to drive. Then realizes it not only doesn't move, she knows it doesn't right now, and won't for some time.

I let her down. This ends next week.

20200709_110157.jpg

Matthon: I feel for you. I'd always heard that Jamie Passon was decent to deal with. But after following this post I will never do business with him. A couple friends and I were talking the other day, they were going to order some stuff from him. I asked them if they had read your post on here, they hadn't.
Has anyone seen any feedback on the overdrive Hemi gearset for the 833? I wonder if they are as big of piece of crap as the A855? I wish you all the luck in the world on getting this resolved, I will be following this post. Good luck!

-
Back