A855 - 5 Speed

-
I just don´t get the need for the 5K overdrive .
3.23 sure-grip , ran 75-85mph the whole way

^ That's why :p
I have 3.91's in my 451 (3000@60 mph) and would not want to take any kind of long drive at 75+ mph! Besides, I only have a 10 gal. fuel cell and lots of cam.

On the other hand, I can buy a lot of gas for $5k, with occasional weekend use!

Matton you seem like a good person so this is my advice...sell it to the next sucker while you still have the chance... once these 5 speeds start breaking (and they will) in a few years you likely won’t be able to get parts ... and it will be more worthless than it is currently.
Put a TKO, T56, T5 or gear vendors in the car and your great grandchildren will still be able to get parts for it barring any cataclysmic world event.

once these 5 speeds start breaking (and they will) in a few years

A few years?
I drove it out of my driveway and down my street and it popped out of 4th.

I need to find the time to research other 5 speeds, cost, modifications required, etc.

I'm considering swapping my 4 speed back in, but it's a 23 spline and I already put in a new flywheel and 18 spline clutch.

SAD!! Good luck to you! We as a group need to make a stand and let them know that this is NOT acceptable treatment for someone spending THEIR hard earned money on an inferior product. I hope that you end up getting a revised transmission and can motor right past all this hassle

Ok, so I injured myself and have been dealing with that for a few weeks. No big deal and much better.

Just realized I sent my last email exactly 4 weeks ago and no reply at all!

Excellent communication and service just officially went south.

Time to make a phone call, and inevitably follow up with an email to have a record.

Try get a refund while they have the transmission at their shop, they have a long list of people who are waiting to get one, they can fix it sell it to the next happy customer...

The trans is still in my car with me.
My 'new' trans is with them, well it was shipped for testing at the end of December.

I called yesterday, voicemail, so I left a message.

Latest recap.
As stated above:
  • 1/10 email sent, no reply.
  • 2/7 called left message, no reply.
  • 2/14 called 3 times during the day, left 1 message. Received call back from a woman in the office. I thought I captured her name somehow, can't find it. I pulled over to take the call.
38 minute call. The skinny, 'they' have been discussing the pop out of 4th issue and are perplexed. I don't care, where's my new trans?
It was sent for testing in WY and it's coming back because there was an issue. What exactly?
They just didn't like how it performed. There was a slight vibration, very small.
From what? Felt where? What are the specific details?
Just a small vibration, and we want to make sure your trans is perfect.
Perfect? I'd get exactly what the test results were, or wtf send it for testing?
They plan to ship it in a crate on a palette.
She said once it's ready, she'll send me a shipping label, once they get mine they'll ship the new one.
I can't keep stating they drove it to me last time, there's nothing to stick a label on!
I asked about the warranty, she told me it expires next May. I said, no it doesn't, I don't even have the break in miles on this. No way no how, you're extending it and we can discuss later. This was at the end of the call and I still had to drive home.

She told me she sent me all of the ppwk I should have rec'd with the trans, warranty, break-in, and receipt via email weeks ago after my 1/10 email.
Nothing, not in spam, nothing. Confirmed my email again, not that they don't have it.
She said she would send it again by eod 2/18. I said I would reply when I rec'd it to confirm, so if you don't receive my reply you didn't send it.
Nothing.

2/24 I sent an email, no reply.

Here's the kicker.
She clarified with me that I did in fact paint it, correct?
I said absolutely, it's my trans, and was supposed to be the last time it was out. I only painted it after the second r&r. Painting it was in my email from 11/17/2019.

She said, now painting the trans voids the warranty, but we're not going to act on that because you did not receive the ppwk stating it.
Seriously? Painting an aluminum trans voids the warranty?
Yes, it's modifying the trans.
That's nuts, not only do I doubt it's called out in your warranty, no way no how is it a modification that would affect it, there are zero negative effects from painting it. Aluminum is porous, so painting it keeps it clean and helps to identify leaks.

Kicker x2.
She asked me if I could please remove all of the paint before returning it?
Have you lost it, there is no way I'm removing the paint. I'm definitely not removing paint from aluminum and having you tell me I ruined the case.

I highly doubt it's been communicated to customers that painting the trans voids the warranty.
So if I paint my <insert expensive item here> I'm sol if it blows up when I drive it down the street for the first time?

This is where we got into the ppwk I never rec'd, warranty, etc.

I also asked for a complete diagram of the internals so I know exactly what was 'fixed' or changed so going forward they can't tell me x is wrong and/or replaced multiple times w/o me knowing exactly what they are talking about. You know, like the testing baloney.

Now I have to continue to follow up, argue my case, spend more $, cross my fingers, and delay a cam and rear change.

As much as I hate to say it, it may be time to hire a lawyer. We're not talking pocket change here.
Have you talked personally to Jamie?

I wasn't going to spend $6k for this and now I definitely won't. A lot of others who have been thinking about it may heed the warning of your experience...

No way does painting a trans void crap! That’s bull crap!

LAWYER!!!! Table FABO PLEASE! Party of many concerned.... and bewildered!

This really is a fairly simple device as engineering goes. I wonder why they are having such a hard time figuring it out ?

But boy would I like to have one ! One that works that is...lol

It’s stuff like this that stops me from buying anything like it.

i'm so glad i never got sucked into buying one of those damn transmissions.

you never buy the first run of something is what i always say. wait till its out for a while and get real world feedback first. in this case real world feedback blows. waste of money this thing is.

just wait till down the road some when people need parts for these things and they are available nowhere. thats gonna suck....

i'm so glad i never got sucked into buying one of those damn transmissions.

you never buy the first run of something is what i always say. wait till its out for a while and get real world feedback first. in this case real world feedback blows. waste of money this thing is.

just wait till down the road some when people need parts for these things and they are available nowhere. thats gonna suck....

But but but the smart guys over on Mofarts said it was the best product ever and they would make it right if you had problems...

I called Jamie a number of times, wrote about it in this thread. First time was before I installed it, I questioned the fluid the only sheet of paper included said to use.

Had to keep calling, left message, posted on fbbo, finally he answered one day. They made a change to the fluid type, never told anyone, posted the info, contacted customers, etc.

He was useless when I called about the popping out, never mentioned the warranty was handled by GFI, told me to check the shifter and the bellhousing alignment.

I told him I did all of that multiple times, replaced the pilot bushing, adjusted the clutch, everything multiple times.

He told me he needed me to get it in writing from a shop that everything was done correctly, without that he wouldn't do anything.

I only found out about GFI from this thread.

These trans have been available for a number of years, heck it took a few years to get one after I decided to call and start the process. I actually received it in less time than most, so it appeared production was getting on track as well. I couldn't find anything negative, other than wait times, but in hindsight very little, if any, positive.

I've got some other crap going in right now, stuff that takes priority, you know.

It's not until way late at night when I have a few minutes that I think, ****, no one has got back to me for weeks, or put a reminder on my phone only to be too busy when it goes off to call and try to get someone live.

So I'll send an email late, and nothing.

To get $ for a lawyer I would have to get my $ back on this trans, and small claims is typically half of what this trans cost, plus time, effort, more $.

My guess is GFI will not give me my money back as they only do the warranty, and Jamie wants to blame the customer and have me prove it was installed correctly.

Why people defend him I'll never understand, he's very busy and trying really hard to get a good product to consumers. Based on my experience, that's complete insanity. Yeah, we are all busy, customers don't want to hear you're too busy for them.

The chances for a positive outcome are slim, especially when the 'new' trans vibrates a little, or something, no one knows the details, and the two companies involved stop replying but keep selling.

I apologize if I come across as a big complaining whiner here, it was never my intent. Hopefully something good comes from this.

Here's a few pics, we all like pics right?

For any fools out there who buy one, happen to have a bench seat, and want to keep the original short Hurst shifter but realize it's not an option, I have the solution! (the 67 Hurst aftermarket shifter is neither a bolt on or a push in handle, it's actually part of the shifter mechanism)

After much searching, measuring, I took a chance and bought this handle. By the #s it's from a Boss Mustang, iirc, and I got it cheap, on here! Part #7831.

Had to heat it and bend it, and drill 2 holes.
It's almost a perfect match.

Before in first, and after in neutral or second, I forget. No, it doesn't hit the seat or come close.

20170803_185011.jpg

20200308_190134.jpg

Last edited:
I think the writing is on the wall for these transmissions...hope you can get rid of it and move along to something else.

Man, reading through this whole thread is disheartening to say the least. I am half tempted to off mine, which is still in the crate. Although mine was screwed to a pallet, and shipped via R&L carriers. Sent from Casper, WY with a piece of tape with Jamie’s name written on it. I could have bought two 18 spline 833 for what the damn thing cost. Certainly doesn’t sound like something I want to try out at the track. Booo. Thanks for the detailed write up!

Good GAWD! What a terrible experience. All I can say is, if you want a good OD transmission, T56 baby! At least it's proven. For as much money as you spent with NO resolution, I would have visited Passon's place and broken his nose. It's be worth the arrest.

Crate, pallet, I don't see a difference.
Mine was placed in the trunk of a car and delivered to my door.

I would love a T56 right now.
I do have a bench seat though, which I want to keep.

Rusty, you gave me a good laugh, out loud even.

Just placed another reminder on my phone to call Monday, was thinking about it last week but had no time. I'll never get my money back, it's clear.

I'm kind of baffled that in 2020 they have zero online presence, nothing, zilch!

No communication to Mopar forums on the gear fluid change, no 'company' threads with updates, info, or faq.

They're selling Mopar specific products, one that's exclusively made and distributed by them, and zero presence in their customer's community.

Is the title of my thread not obvious enough?
No curiosity as to why it's 4 f-ing pages long?

Anyone know a spectacular trans place in the upstate NY area that knows how to work on trans and return phone calls?

2/14 was the last time I was contacted, and that was because I called multiple times that day.

2 months ago, technically over 8 weeks.

I took it for a long ride today, so nice to have 5th gear, but 4th would be nice too.

Same ****, different day.

I'm going to call GFI tomorrow, and keep calling.

I'm also going to call John Huff, who does the testing in WY, and would have tested my replacement trans that, according to GFI, 'wasn't perfect, we want it perfect for you, but we don't really know why it was sent back, a vibration maybe, slightly, we don't know for sure.'

So how can you fix it if you didn't receive or demand specific feedback from the testing facility?

Maybe John Huff will know what the hell is going on, and why a dozen or more trans are popping out of gear.

Or maybe he'll just blow smoke up my *** or not have a clue.

I can't upgrade my cam and rearend until I know what trans I'm going to be running.

This is on me. Period. No one is going to willingly own this issue.

John Huff's credentials, according to GFI's website:

He has gone far above and beyond his expected involvement and is now in charge of final testing and shipping of the finished product, making him a very important part of the project. Every transmission goes to his shop and is road tested under various driving conditions including speed tests on the interstate. His involvement even goes beyond testing as he has become a major part of sales as of early 2018 and his insight and expertise are extremely valuable.

Called Garrett Precision, as that was the # that called me on 2/14, left a message with Christine, the woman I spoke to on the 14th. Not the same website as GFI.
Garrett Precision LLC

Also called John Huff and left a message.

No one answers the phone anymore, or email, since 2/14.

I would drive to PA, 8 hours one way, but no guarantee anyone would even be there, which would be additional negative impacts for yours truly.

Took a ride again today, same ****.

John Huff called me back today.

He immediately apologized for not getting back to me for a week.
He asked if mine was the a-body trans he just received this week for testing?
I said yes.
He said, does it pop out of 4th?
Yes indeed!

I never mentioned either in my message.

According to John, based on my understanding:

Biggest issue is no one is being upfront about the actual problem, these trans pop out of 4th gear. He stated this a few times.

A-body trans are more prone to popping out.

His own car pops out of 4th, a b-body, but about once every thousand miles.

Basically, before John got in and Bill Fuss (GFI) got out, or took a smaller role, or whatever, Bill had found a 'cheaper' source of machined parts, which was the wrong thing to do and probably caused the issue.

The trans is an excellent piece of engineering and well made, but skimping on the quality of some parts, not being truthful of the issue, and not following up with customers is not helpful to anyone.

He sourced a new manufacturer, and based on the gear sets he has seen, they are of a much higher quality and precision.

If I'm willing to be patient, he will make this trans right, using those new parts if needed.

He will call Bill and Christine and discuss my concerns.

He doesn't want to end up on a forum with bad feedback. Worst case, bad feedback with follow up of a positive resolution.

My own observations:

Based on the 8 b-body trans sent in late 2019, only the a-body being prone to popping out might not be true anymore.

He didn't seem surprised, and certainly agreed it was ridiculous when I told him no one calls me back, responds to email, or does what they say they will do, at least not in the last 4 months.

He brought up negative feedback on forums. Like I've stated before, I can't believe neither of the other two parties have ever been concerned about a Mopar specific product getting negative reviews on, I dunno, Mopar forums.

If you're still interested in an A855 don't bother calling Passon and getting on his stupid list.
I realized later that I received a trans before people who were 'lower' on the list. Probably explains why Passon called me a half dozen times after I got it and never left a message.
Also, according to GFI's website, what GFI has told me, and what I gleaned from John about GFI as he never mentioned Passon, and personal experience, Passon's involvement was limited to supplying info, creating stupid lists, and hiding behind 'I'm too busy' and 'get it in writing that your trans was installed correctly from a certified mechanic' before I even mention you have a warranty with GFI, but who knows, and I don't really know for sure.
I would think if I was involved with the design and/or manufacturing and machining I would plaster it all over my website, and not just have an 'out of stock' notation all the time.
Plus, I might actually pick up the phone and call customers back.

So, John said the trans was already in the car, but they just had 6 inches of snow.
He would call me asap with the results, for me to call him anytime, but it might take him a day or two for a reply, and I told him call me anytime, day or night.

I did ask about the last time it was tested and GFI didn't know what the results were, then said they believed it was a slight vibration, then it was a slight vibration, all within the same conversation.

He said it pops out of gear, straight up, tells it like it is.

He stressed multiple times, that unlike the others, he would be straight with me, tell me the truth, good or bad.

Hopefully I'll hear something from John next week. If I hear from anyone else, I'll be calling him.

Last edited:
Matton you seem like a good person so this is my advice...sell it to the next sucker while you still have the chance... once these 5 speeds start breaking (and they will) in a few years you likely won’t be able to get parts ... and it will be more worthless than it is currently.
Put a TKO, T56, T5 or gear vendors in the car and your great grandchildren will still be able to get parts for it barring any cataclysmic world event.

Lol....Matthon, you seem like a good person so my advice is to be a dick..... This is just the sort of advice that proves the world is full of jerks. Take the booger you have and wipe it on someone else. That's the New Way, eh? It's not your fault if someone comes along and you screw him over - he's the 'sucker'.

I can only assume the people who handle their problems that way get a good dose of karma....like their daughter is driving home from school and her car breaks down and the tow truck driver charges her $739 to change her flat because, after all, she's a sucker.

Lol....Matthon, you seem like a good person so my advice is to be a dick..... This is just the sort of advice that proves the world is full of jerks. Take the booger you have and wipe it on someone else. That's the New Way, eh? It's not your fault if someone comes along and you screw him over - he's the 'sucker'.

I can only assume the people who handle their problems that way get a good dose of karma....like their daughter is driving home from school and her car breaks down and the tow truck driver charges her $739 to change her flat because, after all, she's a sucker.
Even with the known issues there is a list of people who want these transmissions... not any different than when people buy exotic cars that are unreliable or require high maintenance...If I was him I would be getting rid of it when he gets it back

-
Back