ABodyBetty's new baby comes home!!!

-
Project on hold for front windshield!! We sold our last one a couple a weeks ago to a member in Dayton, now We need one DAM!!:angry7:

Love the dash pad! It really goes well color and personality with Fern. Did you recover that yourself? Is there a thread I can study? My Schvinger's pad was a mix of brittle chips, and dust. I just glued a cheap plastic cover on it so I could drive without looking at it.

Reminds me of a pair of cowboy boots that this dood I know once had. With all the abuse we gave him about how much he paid and the way they made him look, it's no wonder I never hear from him anymore.

Now don't any cowboy boot wearing folk go and get offended, we was in Hollywood at the time... NOT the cowboy capitol of the U.S.A. by any means.

Love the dash pad! It really goes well color and personality with Fern. Did you recover that yourself? Is there a thread I can study? My Schvinger's pad was a mix of brittle chips, and dust. I just glued a cheap plastic cover on it so I could drive without looking at it.

Reminds me of a pair of cowboy boots that this dood I know once had. With all the abuse we gave him about how much he paid and the way they made him look, it's no wonder I never hear from him anymore.

Now don't any cowboy boot wearing folk go and get offended, we was in Hollywood at the time... NOT the cowboy capitol of the U.S.A. by any means.

No thread, should have made one for that. I'll be doing the 67 dash pad soon and will do a thread.
They are pretty easy, just buy auto vinyl, cut, spray glue both pieces let stand 15 min, stretch and put together, trim, reinstall!
I added 1/4" padding under vinyl to hide cracking, looks good!
In the 70's I did some vans where we would put 2" foam pad under the vinyl and button tuck. It would look like you were riding in a couch when looking out the windshield, if you could see over the dash!! LOL!!8)

nice work
Thanks man!
Nice screen name!!
We like mod tops!
Inspiration for Fern's Fern Tropics Mod Top!
We just wanted to have fun with Fern sense she was just going to be or main daily driver, but still needs a little Flash in her Dash!!
We didn't want her to look like the beat down daily still in constant operation from 75 with no maintenace!!
8)

Alas,
We broke the only good windshield we ever got on a Dart without putting in ourselves.:angry7:

I sold a fantastic, tinted, perfect replacement bout 4 weeks ago! Before we had Fern!:angry7:

Yard Dawg was sure to tell me the one I sold for him had been "laying around" sense th late 80's!!:angry7:

IF you can find a new replacement anywhere in lower 48, $325.00 picked up, $425 shipped!:angry7:

I have my choice of 3 used ones right now:
1: Factory Tinted, 5 or 6 wiper buff lines in pass side.
2: Clear with 3/4 rock tics in it.
3: Factory tinted with milky fog 2" in on pass side.
:angry7:

It's really great to know my usual luck is holding out!:angry7:

Anybody got a windshield for 4 door 67 - 76?:cry:

Anyone know how to buff out wiper marks??

That is a bummer 64dart170, it's always something to set you back. And to think how many of those things hit the crusher.:angry7:
I have never tried to fix rubs marks but have heard something about a jewelers cloth to rub them out, maybe something to experament with.
Good luck with the search.
I do like the dash for Fern.8)

That is a bummer 64dart170, it's always something to set you back. And to think how many of those things hit the crusher.:angry7:
I have never tried to fix rubs marks but have heard something about a jewelers cloth to rub them out, maybe something to experament with.
Good luck with the search.
I do like the dash for Fern.8)
Thanks! It does sound like a great project for Fern, with the choices I have. New is out till spring not an option.
So I guess I'll be picking the tinted one up in the morning with the marks on the pass side. It's going in with scratches or not. I am not letting this slow this restore down!!!!
Both glasses will go in on Thursday!!!
Already have 5 or 6 different solutions to try!:cheers:

No progress today, drove around muddy junk yard in BOF!
She looks like she shot a scene in Dukes of Hazzard!
Looked at half a dozen 4 doors with bad windshields!!!

Members:
Please check your wiper blades for damage!!
We're headin toward winter & $15.00 now will save a $350.00 windshield for later!!
Why is it every windshield in the junk yard has wiper marks in them?????8)

Try Cerium Oxide. You can get it on E Bay for about $20.00. Mix with water and buff out small area's on the glass. I used it on my Duster and it took out light Scratches,Small Pits, Watermarks, and Wax. I will have some pictures of the glass posted tomorrow. Cerium Oxide is a polish used by jewelers to polish fine stones and works excellent on glass.

Try Cerium Oxide. You can get it on E Bay for about $20.00. Mix with water and buff out small area's on the glass. I used it on my Duster and it took out light Scratches,Small Pits, Watermarks, and Wax. I will have some pictures of the glass posted tomorrow. Cerium Oxide is a polish used by jewelers to polish fine stones and works excellent on glass.

Thanks! 6pak2go had posted a link to your thread!
I'll have enough lines in that replacement windshield to try several things. But it does make sense, glass is a stone melted, but it is laminated in plastic. You would think it should be treated as enamel plastic first and glass second!

Anyway we'll put that one in on Thursday for now. We have to hurry, winter is on! Worry bout lines later.

With our luck it won't last 6 months anyway (be busted by then) and should have funds for new one by then anyway!

Told ABB usually 1 person in it and it's not on drivers side. Winter will keep it wet or dirty most of the time. You can't even see it when it wet!

Thanks Again! Cerium Oxide.....It even sounds like it would work, but worries me a little cause it reminds me of Berium, IF YA KNOW WHAT I MEAN!!!:toothy10:

Thanks for the shout!

Got pretty much done. Both front & back glass going in tomarrow.
Today's prep done, see pics.
Inst. Panel back in! See pics, lit up too!
Less talk more pics!
Hope to be shooting hood, trunk deck, 4 doors tomarrow too!! Bright light green!8)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Last couple pics, See you guys in 24 hours!!!8)
Think we ought to rename the thread to "The Daily Growl"? :angry7:
:-D

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

Good day today.
Front & back glass in. (Easier said than done)
80% Bodywork done
Primed
Need to seal with color. It's getting cold and rain moving in. Mid 50's next week and might not get warm enough to paint large panels. Main objective was to throw a qt at it concentraiting on the hood, trunk deck, 4 doors, anything else that would cover with rest of paint.
See pics.
Now the body work done so far is sealed for winter. I'll be able to repair & paint 1 panel at a time inside the tiny garage. The panel between the back glass and trunk is split in half right now with the 2 colors as well as cowl.
Reason being; Tape would pull new top paint off and did below back glass but later that will be lt. grn. same as cowl. This will give me time to sand out the cowl vent 1 hole at a time, and I couldn't tape up to gasket yet due to sealer still wet on front & back glass and even getting on me and mask material!!! I hate rushing stuff!! This should be fun not a magic act!!!:toothy10:
Painted till past dark again and have no idea what it looks like. Ran it into garage and shut the door real quick!!!
I guess you guys will see it when I do tomarrow. Keep in mind it's just a base color coat. Think of it as colored primer. Still alot of body work to do, and will be sanding some of the new paint to do it too!
Have a great evening everyone & see ya in 24 hours!!:cheers:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

We need to de-mask the car this am. Should reassemble most if not all interior today.
If we don't go that direction, (good weather?) we will have to clean off wet windshield sealer that smeared everywhere when we were masking yesterday.
If it's nice out we may forget the interior and go ahead with metal cutting and replacement on pass rear 1/4. I'll check with Yard Dawg to see if I can borror the welder. Would like to get the 1/4 and rear floor patched today.
I would like to get the windshield moldings back on too!
So much to do, so little good weather.................Wish I had a killer garage with heat and a paint booth!!! Jezz to think what I could do with a paint booth!! I'm getting great paint jobs in the driveway with the leaves falling on the car and all the bugs! Just think what my stuff could look like if I had the right equipment, so used to doing something with nothing!:cheers:

Have a great day today guys & gals, I'll post ya later!!8)

Checked the date at the start of this thread, 10/14/2009. By my count that's 16 days, 15 if you allow for AM/PM. Incredible! I can't imagine what you could accomplish if you had that killer garage with heat and a paint booth.

Congrats!

Checked the date at the start of this thread, 10/14/2009. By my count that's 16 days, 15 if you allow for AM/PM. Incredible! I can't imagine what you could accomplish if you had that killer garage with heat and a paint booth.

Congrats!

Thanks for the kind words!

We have had to put a major rush to have done by bad weather. I want to park the 64 this winter, the old gal deserves it!
The old saying does hold true though,
You want it right or right now, you can't have both.
Due to the major rush, there have been many shortcuts taken and needless to say, quality has suffered, especially in the bodyworking dept. Just haven't had time to do it right!!! It shows! But I am kinda anal. ABodyBetty says it still looks 10 times better. Fern has really taken over sense she got here!!

Yeah Gryzynx if you factor in sleep and I think there have been 3 whole days in that time frame where nothing was done due to health/motivation, windshield delay lost a day too! Fern is totally on the fast track! This is the fastest turn I've ever done!
Now I even know how you got your screen name too!!

Have a great day today!8)

=D>Just took Fern for a test drive. This was the first time I got to drive her. What an experience that was. She is definitely not BOF. John kept telling me to floor it this is a slant six she ain't BOF. Anyway some truck driver nearly ran me off the road by cutting in front of me. John had a few hand signals and words for him. Then there is this indicator light that is on my hood that will glow if I am using an inappropriate amount of gas. It is to wierd!! When you open the doors a buzzer sounds. I am not use to all this fancy stuff. Overall it was a good drive. Can't wait until she is done so I can go show her off.

FLOOR IT DANG IT!!!

When you have no throttle responce (or different than what you're used to) you may have to make some adjustments to driving patterns!!

Both our v-8's will burn the rubber off the steelies if you're not easy on the throttle.
First time I drove Fern (I purchased without hearing run or test drive!) was the first Monday after we got her I drove her down on the 4AM run to double D's for coffee with Baby's tags. Comming out onto the highway I had to check to see if I was in gear and if the hand brake was left on!!!
That dang fuel waste light on the turnsignal indicator drives me nuts! First time I drove it I thought "GREAT! another BOF with electrical problems!!! Then read the owners manual!
Haven't looked much into engine compartment yet. That's tomarrow. I won't even check the oil untill I wash out the engine compartment!!
From what I have seen so far, the air filter is black, fuel filter see through is rust brown and so on. I figure dial it in with all that, a carb rebuild and different intake/exhaust manifolds. The exhaust one is cracked in many places and I figure with my access to junk yard would be easier to replace as 1 unit.
I did get some pics for you guys today of paint but I'm tired, I'll post tomarrow. Besides, in person it's a little patchy but it is only 1 thin coat = whole car with only 1 quart!! LOL!!!
Will need new headliner due to ours turning to dust when I tried to restretch it back on at the rear glass, RRRRIIIIPPPPPP!!!!! (Everyting is 2 steps foward 1 step back) Man I hate replacing those! Just a huge mess, well not as bad as cleaning windshield gaskets but almost!! Nasty insulation everywhere!
I can already tell this is going to be 1 spoiled Fernified DIVA!
Another BOF in the making but with nothing to back up the attitude!!8)
Did get license plates today for her!!
Now I have to locate a green headliner!!! Jezzz

-
Back