Additional Trans Cooling Needed ?

-

bargeahead

Wishicouldre member
Reaction score
I've looked but cant' find specifics. This spring will be engine and trans rebuild time ( 65 Dart/273 4bbl/904 ). I have a 2000rpm converter and am wondering if I'll need extra trans cooling or if the stock in rad' is sufficient. I've always had manuals so am lost on autos. THX

agree with above, but 2k stall is about stock for a 68-71 340 car and they didn't use one. you could always use a deeper pan if you don't want to plumb in a cooler,

agree with above, but 2k stall is about stock for a 68-71 340 car and they didn't use one. you could always use a deeper pan if you don't want to plumb in a cooler,

THX Guys Would I be correct in assuming a deeper pan for the 65 is readily available ?

THX Guys Would I be correct in assuming a deeper pan for the 65 is readily available ?

Yeah. It's the same pan as used on the newer torqueflites so any 904 pan will work. And I personally always prefer an external cooler over a deep pan if only one will be used. The deep pan does give you more capacity but does it really do much to cool the trans? Ok maybe a little but nothing compared to a cooler. Even yet it's a good addition just like a deep oil pan on an engine is a good addition. Heat is one of the biggest factors why automatic transmissions burn up so an external cooler will make a stock trans last longer.

THX all, found pan, surfing for cooler but any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Look for the "stacked Plate" style coolers. I think they do a lot better job than the fin and tube style. JMO Price isn't that much more either.

Don't know anything about this vendor but this is the type of cooler I use.

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Category_Code=tru-cool-lpd

Although a big cooler isn't needed in his application this is a good suggestion. They conduct better and therefore they're physically smaller than a tube and fin cooler of the same rating. And not much more money.

I have ordered from Bulkpart several times. Great vendor and great prices. That small one #4051 is sufficient but if you have the room the next one up for only $4 more is even better.

If your 904 is a 65 model. you will need to make sure that the deep pan kit has the correct pickup holes. Should be 2 holes not just one. Ebay has them for around $60.

If your 904 is a 65 model. you will need to make sure that the deep pan kit has the correct pickup holes. Should be 2 holes not just one. Ebay has them for around $60.

THX again, really appreciate all the help/advice.

The primary enemy of the trans is heat, so I would definitely recommend a cooler. The stock cooler in the radiator is immersed in engine coolant, so whatever your coolant temp is the minimum temp of your trans fluid (about 180-195). If you plumb in an external cooler, you can significantly lower the temp and extend the life of your trans.

Another option you might consider, in addition to the trans cooler, is using the Mopar ATF+4 fliud in your new trans. The Mopar fluid is fully synthetic and thus will not break down under high temps like conventional fluid. The last time I was at the dealer I was able to talk them down to $6 a quart, about the same as auto parts store prices.

-
Back