Adjustable strut rods.How hard to install?

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
I,m thinking about buying some Hotchkis adjustable strut rods with the Hyme joints for the 66 Dart.How hard are these to install and will I need to re-align the frontend?Thanks for any help.

I,m thinking about buying some Hotchkis adjustable strut rods with the Hyme joints for the 66 Dart.How hard are these to install and will I need to re-align the frontend?Thanks for any help.

Very nice pieces. I just installed some. Yes you will need an alignment.

One installation trick I learned from them is to set them about a 1/2-3/4" shorter than the flange to flange distance of the original strut rods. Then put the Lower control arm at about ride height (T-bars all loosend up).

Then pull the LCA (lower control arm) forward until you feel some resistance from the LCA rubber/poly bushing. THEN adjust the strut rod nuts out until they touch the K-frame. Finally up the outer strut rod nut.

That will make sure the LCA is pulled snugly forward to get the most positive caster setting. Basically you adjust the strut rod too short so you can just adjust it out to the point where the LCA is slightly tugged foward.

Hotchkis7_27_10TVSbuildSm04.JPG

You can see the heim joint in the K-member in this picture.

Hotchkis7_27_10TVSbuildSm17.JPG

Thanks AutoXcuda,while I,m doing this I figure I might aswell replace the lower control arm bushings also.This is on my 66 Dart that I race,so was just gonna get the rubber bushings.Apparently these are hard to press out?I take it I will need a press to get them out?I appreaciate any advise and thanks for the pics,is always nice to have a lookie see.LOL

PS Are those the RMS upper control arms too?Which are better?The rod ends or bushings?And why?I,m about to order new.

Thanks AutoXcuda,while I,m doing this I figure I might aswell replace the lower control arm bushings also.This is on my 66 Dart that I race,so was just gonna get the rubber bushings.Apparently these are hard to press out?I take it I will need a press to get them out?I appreaciate any advise and thanks for the pics,is always nice to have a lookie see.LOL

PS Are those the RMS upper control arms too?Which are better?The rod ends or bushings?And why?I,m about to order new.

Those are Hotchkis upper control arms. Countoured like original and come into the frame straight for most adjustment.

If you are concerned with the deflection of a stock UCA, then the deflection of a poly bushing should be a concern too. The poly bushings have to act as a bearing and sometimes some installation the UCA moves smoother up and down than others. But they will not move as smooth and bind free as a sperical rod end. Those just glide up and down.

Hotchkis7_27_10TVSbuildSm14.JPG

On a 67-76 A-body, you'll have to cut/grind a flange next to the front UCA mount about 1/4" for sperical rod end clearance. Not sure about a 62-66 A-body...

Attachments

• Hotchkis7_26_10TVSbuildSm36.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 960
Thanks for the help and the pics.I just ordered the strut rods and upper control arms.I will call him tomorrow to make sure I get the rod ends.Now to find lower control arm bushings.Atleast now I,ll have something to do over the winter months.:cheers::clock:

Oh,I also have the 12way QA-1 shocks on all 4 corners.My front suspension will be a twin of yours.:-D
View attachment ONDR Grand Bend July 10-12.jpg

I know guys running poly and rubber LCA bushings with good results. Pick your poison there.

You won't need any UCA bushings because the arms have heims.

Those items work really well. Brian's Duster worked much better after installing that set up. The front end moves effortlessly.

You may want to jack up the front end about 2" when doing your alignment to simulate race conditions.

Well I ended up buying from RMS,they were alot cheaper than the Hotchkis.Whats the best type of UCA and LCA bushings to go with for a race car?Rubber or Poly bushings?Here,s pic,s of todays delivery.
View attachment 180664

they are good parts right there. mopar enthusiasts did a comparison between a stock front end and those uppers and those strut rods. front end rose are the track quite a bit more and improved the 60'. that was with rubber LCA bushings. i'll bet a poly LCA bushing would help it even more.

http://editions.amospublishing.com/...1&f=1&id=477247c1-44e0-49e1-a061-4ae6d2d5f228

awesome parts scott! I have that same setup on my 68 cuda, with qa1 shocks as well. the front end moves effortless. what helped me to install the strut rods is to install them onto the lower control arm FIRST, have that allen head hand tight, and then install the forward mount with the heim into the k-member...

Thanks guys,looking forward to getting these on the car,any improvements will really help with my goals.

-
Back