Advance slot chart ?

-

EL5DEMON340

Reaction score
I run about 5 btdc and want to go back to a factory distributor from my MSD mainly for the vacuum advance. I welded the slots many years ago when I ran more initial so I need to lengthen them a little to get to about 30 total. I think this chart is pretty accurate. Just want to make sure, thanks .

89BFC4A9-CB2E-4C3F-9DE0-12B43E14F6FA.png

Once it's dialed in and it runs like a raped ape, you can refer to this chart when it makes you **** your pants...

Skid Marks.jpg

I run about 5 btdc and want to go back to a factory distributor from my MSD mainly for the vacuum advance. I welded the slots many years ago when I ran more initial so I need to lengthen them a little to get to about 30 total. I think this chart is pretty accurate. Just want to make sure, thanks .

View attachment 1716174328

30 degrees total? Including initial too? That's a bit low, don't you think? Normally, small blocks like around 34-36 total, even bone stock ones.

Well, I’m running a 360 with 11.25 cr, cranking psi is about 200/205. Cam is not to big at .246/.252 @. .050, 110 lsa. On top of that I’m running the old hustle stuff mechanical six pack, end carbs don’t have mixture screws but I have the transfer slot’s squared, if I run more initial ( which I don’t think I need with the all that cylinder psi) I then have to turn the center idle screw down to far to get it to idle under 1,200, which in turn makes the car want to die at stops. I run 93, but even with 28 total the car will annihilate the drag radials.
30 degrees total? Including initial too? That's a bit low, don't you think? Normally, small blocks like around 34-36 total, even bone stock ones.

Well, I’m running a 360 with 11.25 cr, cranking psi is about 200/205. Cam is not to big at .246/.252 @. .050, 110 lsa. On top of that I’m running the old hustle stuff mechanical six pack, end carbs don’t have mixture screws but I have the transfer slot’s squared, if I run more initial ( which I don’t think I need with the all that cylinder psi) I then have to turn the center idle screw down to far to get it to idle under 1,200, which in turn makes the car want to die at stops. I run 93, but even with 28 total the car will annihilate the drag radials.
That's right. I had forgotten you were on the ragged edge. 30 may work well then. I'd try it and see. You could always bump 2 degrees at a time and see if you get any rattle.

That's right. I had forgotten you were on the ragged edge. 30 may work well then. I'd try it and see. You could always bump 2 degrees at a time and see if you get any rattle.
Yes this engine is a rascal, But won’t die. So that chart is pretty close?

And 50° when the vacuum advance is working.

I really have nothing to add here other then i feel your pain on the tuning of a combo like that. Mid 80's and my bud had another brand smallblock built with very similar specs, 11.7 with iron heads and a [email protected] with a tight 3800 stall. I worked the dizzy and 750 carb on and off for months and with the falling pump octane at the time got nowhere. 1k idle and neutral at stops. Tried to talk him into some thick head gaskets but no dice. Instead he brings me a tunnel ram a two 600's...lol. Oddly, the street manners were a little better, but with 8/9 degrees initial it was never gonna be a ''cruiser'' regardless.

Sorry for the long post, this just brought up fond/tough memories from years gone by.

Good luck getting it where you need to be and keep enjoying that awesome ride. :thumbsup:

-
Back