Air compressor

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Looking at a used air compressor its a Devilbiss portable compressor 1.5 HP, 3 gal,125 psi says 5.4CFM.Now I know nothing about these units other they push air lol,the seller says its in excellent condition and was not used not much, and I talk him down to 50 dollars from 70.What I would like to know what can i used it for other than pumping up tires up witch i am kind of interested in,but would like to know if it has any other uses.Thanks again. :???:

Pumping up tires is good. Impact wrenches, not so good. 5 cfm will run a 1/4" air ratchet for a short time but not much more. tmm

Thanks TMM ,just looking on line and not to impressed how these units rate,1 has to spend sum big bucks to get a good one.

Sure could Joey. I'll work on that. tmm

I know when I was buying one, there was not a lot of info to help me buy the right one

just buy the biggest one you can afford LOL! can't ever have too much cfm. I've never heard anyone say thier compressor was too big

just buy the biggest one you can afford LOL! can't ever have too much cfm. I've never heard anyone say thier compressor was too big

^^This!

Also find the most air hogging tool you'll want to use then up the cfm by a little and that will tell you what size compressor you'll want.

Went looking for good compressor to run most air tools, had a single phase Craftsman 6.5 HP
(Devilbiss) 60 gallon for number of years. worked well but found that I could use a D/A sander for a few minutes then would have to wait for the pressure to build, same with a board sander or small blaster. Single phase was also very loud like a chipmunk on steroids . Last year I opted to a two stage Craftsman professional 5 hp 80 gallon. (Sanborn). What difference, run slow and steady. Never have to wait for air . Cost difference between the two was about 200 bucks. The same model for others supplier (Dewalt) will cost you 300 dollars more.

I just go buy the largest Craftsman 110 v compressor that I can get and wait for it to go on sale.

They usually are 5 HP and 25-30 gallon tanks with wheels...

You want the most CFM with the biggest tank and HP motor you can afford.

BUT, as I am SURE toolmanmike will have in his write up, CFM means nothing unless it is rated ad a PSI ABOVE zero. I use 90 PSI as a standard. In other words I look for the highest CFM @ 90PSI with the biggest tank and most HP in my price range.

MANY compressors are rated with a CFM rating @ 0PSI. That's worthless as tits on a boarhog.

This is the one I have. In service now in my home shop for 15 yrs. I built an insulated shed outside the back wall and piped it in. Then I connected it to two spare 60 gallon tanks I had from previous POS compressors
http://www.toolweb.com/products/IRTC2475N7.5FP

I buy old compressors and fix them up tractor supply lowes harbor freight all those compressors are junk.you want a good compressor buy 325 quincy 705 saylor beal or a kellog American they will out last you and they are quite

Don't buy one that Buzzes when it runs. And you need to be sure motor runs comp. head with a belt. Then look for a big tank and a MIN 3hp. NOT a fake 3hp, but a real 3 hp motor. 220V will be less to run. MT

Here is mine Make sure the comp. does not buzz when it runs. And make sure motor runs comp. head with a belt. Then look for a big tank and at least a 3hp motor. A REAL 3 hp motor. 220V motor is less to run. I built this one with a comp. head from Granger. It will run DA all day. I could use more tank cap. but it works good as is. MT

Attachments

• 022.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 213
-
Back