Air gap intake and heater hoses

-
I've never liked the way they size these things, but for those who don't know, here's the reason for the confusion... the numbers don't really match the size although it's close on the inside diameter.

pipe-thread.gif

in the pic, there is not a 1/2" pipe fitting in the 1/4" hole,

look at ur own pic, there is a 1/4" temp sender in the 1/4" hole !

It`s apparent that a couple of u guys don`t know pipe sizes at all. The last pic has the treaded portion of the fitting, the same size as the hose side. No way 1/4" pipe is the same diameter of a 1/2" hose or fitting ! Done w/ this ----------------

Please read my posts again - at no time did I refer to the nipple as a "1/2" pipe nipple". It is a hose nipple that fits in a 1/4" NPT hole (ie has a 1/4" pipe thread) and has an OD of 1/2". Like I said.
My temp sender has a 1/8" pipe thread and sits in the 1/8" NPT hole.

The table in post 31 illustrates the various pipe thread sizes and corresponding OD's.

I gave the OP the exact answer he was looking for. With pictures.

I've never liked the way they size these things, but for those who don't know, here's the reason for the confusion... the numbers don't really match the size although it's close on the inside diameter.

View attachment 1715125098

I agree; I think the NPT sizing refers to the ID of a piece of black iron pipe, which of course has nothing to do with old Mopars, unless you are installing a gas furnace or something.
The table is the only way to make sense of it.

If I had Photoshop maybe I could have put a pair of tits on it. Everyone likes tits!
^^^^^^^^^^^^
LOL, agree w/ that. What most people don`t realize is, that pipe sizes "are" the inside diameter of said fitting or pipe. I don`t think I`d run a 1/4" m.i.p. x 1/2" hose barb fitting on anything tho!

Here's my 1/4" mip x 1/2" hose... you don't think this will work? The hole through the center only has a small step in it (like 0.1).
Untitled.png

^^^^^^^^^^^^
LOL, agree w/ that. What most people don`t realize is, that pipe sizes "are" the inside diameter of said fitting or pipe. I don`t think I`d run a 1/4" m.i.p. x 1/2" hose barb fitting on anything tho!

Last edited:
Sure it will. The heater output won't be optimum but it will work.

Here's my 1/4" mip x 1/2" hose... you don't this this will work?
View attachment 1715125464
That'll work great. One thing, however: I do not like using brass. Sometimes due the softness of the material, brass cracks due to vibration. That fitting is susceptible to a lot of engine movement, and vibration. I'd use steel for better strength, or better yet stainless steel for the anti-corrosion factor too. (Note that the OEM fittings at the engine were steel).

I somewhat agree with that but I'm going to use the factory hose holder behind the alternator to keep everything still. Brass will last forever... I have brass frost plugs too.
The factory used steel because it's cheaper.

That'll work great. One thing, however: I do not like using brass. Sometimes due the softness of the material, brass cracks due to vibration. That fitting is susceptible to a lot of engine movement, and vibration. I'd use steel for better strength, or better yet stainless steel for the anti-corrosion factor too. (Note that the OEM fittings at the engine were steel).

I somewhat agree with that but I'm going to use the factory hose holder behind the alternator to keep everything still. Brass will last forever... I have brass frost plugs too.
The factory used steel because it's cheaper.
Well, brass frost plugs are fine. They are not being pushed/pulled by a hose connected on one end to the body and one end connected to the engine. But, since you have the brass fittings already, use them. Obviously, they are not really "wrong". It just isn't what I would have bought for the application.

Well, brass frost plugs are fine. They are not being pushed/pulled by a hose connected on one end to the body and one end connected to the engine. But, since you have the brass fittings already, use them. Obviously, they are not really "wrong". It just isn't what I would have bought for the application.

Sure but the other end of the hose is attached to a heater core... not exactly bullet proof strength there with that paper thin beauty. With the hose holders in place nothing really moves. You're right pointing out that you don't want the hoses moving around too much.
I'm going to set mine up like you have yours. That's ideal... nice tidy engine compartment too... looks great.
What pulleys are you using there? I need some like that.
Is that a brass fitting on your fuel inlet? :) kidding!
hose routing.jpg

I used to have a 69 GTS... worst (auto related) mistake I ever made selling that car :(
Dodge rear.jpg

Last edited:
Barbed fittings: Good or bad?

As per the attached thread, I was working through this same issue last month and turned to FABO to decide on whether to use barbed brass fittings like that. I ended up opting for the stock style nipples from Mancini, as posted above in post #20.

Not sure why the piece you just bought wouldn't work fine, capacity wise; it's the same as stock. With my six banger, a new heater core and that size (but stock) fitting, I could have cooked a turkey in the car.

Sure but the other end of the hose is attached to a heater core... not exactly bullet proof strength there with that paper thin beauty. With the hose holders in place nothing really moves. You're right pointing out that you don't want the hoses moving around too much.
I'm going to set mine up like you have yours. That's ideal... nice tidy engine compartment too... looks great.
What pulleys are you using there? I need some like that.
Is that a brass fitting on your fuel inlet? :) kidding!
View attachment 1715125482
I used to have a 69 GTS... worst (auto related) mistake I ever made selling that car :(
View attachment 1715125496
Oh, that isn't my engine! I found the picture via Google. Thought it was a stock engine! Guess not. Looks fantastic, anyways.

Have a look at CVF Racing for those pulleys.
I`ve used brass fittings for over 40 yrs. in plmbing, and on 4 diff hotrods, have never had any trouble w/ them breaking from vibration or rot,much unlike the steel ones that rot and rust out. Two 10 sec. cars , one 11sec. pick up, and now an approx. 723 horse stroker motor------all brass !

I work with diesel motors and many of them have brass barb fittings! These engines vibrate quite a bit more than most gas mopar engines. Brass fittings hold up juat fine. As famous bob said they are good in our mopar applications. In most instances cheaper too!!:thumbsup:

-
Back