Air shocks?

-

moparsons

Reaction score
Where's the cheapest place to get rear air shocks for my 69 dart?

I don't belive in them any more, but try J.C, Whitney, or
even your local parts store. Sometimes they can under price
all the others. Just shop around some.

I put some on my 66 Sedan and it gave the old leaf springs a brake and centered my car a lot better, But I am just running 45 to 60lb's in them.
no complaints from me

I had them on my old 73 Scamp

DSC03709.jpg

My dart has a little sag and I need an inch or 2 to not rub my new tires.

On any A body $90 will give a good support to your old suspension that has been setting and make travel with extra wait a nicer drive then not having them on old springs.

gotta be another way than air-shocks though I would think... unless its just temporary... those things goof with you're handling/ride, haha

Air shocks work fine as long as you don't have the pressure way up there.You get them all gassed up and it messes with the front end and steering.

Autozone has decent ones they have a life time waranty.

I ran mine with 60-70 psi, a set of 340 springs, shackles and a front swaybar with a rebuilt front end and it handled great for 7 years as a daily driver with a 360.
DSC03710.jpg

Been using them on my Dart for 39 years. There's nothing wrong with using them as long as you don't try to raise your car up like a monster truck. Keep the pressure reasonable. 40 to 60 lbs.

Thanks for the replys guys....I shouldn't have to jack it all the way up or anything, just a little help8)

I have a set I got from JC Whitney on my DD AMC Eagle. It has a factory auto leveling suspension on the rear. Load stuff in the back of the car & a compressor under the hood airs up the shocks automatically to level the car. Works great. The old shocks were toast & I bought an adapter kit to hook the Whitney shocks to my existing system.

Last set I had was on my Coronet, I got them from Autozone. Also, it's not a bad idea to order an extra air line kit. One of mine got pin hole in it and leaked down at work, had to drive home at lunch with the fender eating the sidewalls the whole way.....not fun.

Just ordered a pair of Gabriel High Jackers thru Autozone. 65 bucks-lifetime warranty:cheers:

old school would run seperate lines ..so you could adj for drag racing..a better hook up.

Moparsons, I'd look to either re-arc the springs or get new ones. Just MHO.

The shock mounts were never designed to carry the load of the car.
Unless you have replaced your shock mounts, they are now 40 years old.
Get some ESPO +1" springs and good shocks.
They will improve the tail down stance most A-bodies have, plus the ride will be a lot smoother than with air shocks.

I agree. The upper mounts will get pounded out with to much
pressure. Spend the little extra and invest in the new springs.
I had to many cars back in the 70s that pounded out the mounts.
Mopars and GM products alike.
If nothing else, get some overload shocks. The coil over shocks
that you can get at any parts store. They will raise up the rear
and still cushion the ride.
Just my 2 cents worth.

-
Back