Alan Johnson disqulified from NHRA event..

-

stroked 340

Banned
Reaction score
For failing the NHRA drug and alcohol policy,whats up with that...

JOHNSON: "I HAD DRINKS WITH DINNER LAST NIGHT

Allen Johnson had no excuses.

The Pro Stock driver readily admits he drank alcohol the night before a random drug test administered by a private firm for the NHRA.

Now, because he tested positive for alcohol, a .027 reading according to a statement issued by NHRA, he has been disqualified from any further participation at the NHRA O’Reilly Auto Parts Nationals at zMax Dragway in Concord, NC. Johnson is subject to further disciplinary action as provided for in NHRA's Substance Abuse Policy. (2010 NHRA Rule Book: Section 1.7)

“Who would have ever thought 11 hours after having drinks with dinner there would be a presence of alcohol in your system,” Johnson told Attitude’s CompetitionPlus.com moments after the NHRA handed down his disqualification. “It just barely registered and the NHRA has a zero tolerance policy.”

“I understand it and we are supposed to be role models out here. I definitely feel bad about this. I wouldn’t have gone and had the test so early this morning if I would have believed it was detectable. It is what it is.”

Johnson forfeits the seventh spot in the qualified field and loses the two bonus points attained following the first session. NHRA notified Johnson and his team as they towed to the starting line for Saturday’s opening qualifying session.

Johnson confirmed he’s already been in contact with his sponsor, Mopar Performance, who had offered their driver support in the situation.

“Mopar knows we are a great role model for the kids and the other racers in the country,” Johnson said. “I’m sure everyone involved goes out to dinner and has a cocktail or two, it’s unfortunate and Mopar stands behind us. They are our sponsor and something like this is an unfortunate incident.”

Johnson understands the magnitude of the situation and regrets it transpired.

“I would just like to say I’m sorry,” Johnson offered. “Hopefully this won’t blow our championship chances and we will be back in Dallas. I’m human. I had 24 hours to go take the test and I went over there first thing this morning without anything to eat or drink. The remnants of last night came back. It wasn’t like I was drinking and driving

private firm does the testing...

he drank the night before with dinner....went he got to the track next morning he found out he was selected for random testing...

he had 24 hrs to do the test....he went first thing in morning....he blew and got a .027.....he failed...

if he would have waited the full 24 hrs...he would have passed...

moral to the story....dont be first in line in the morning....

I think he had more then a FEW drinks with dinner,if he's blowing a .027 the next morning legal limit is .008...

ya dance to the music, ya pay to the piper. That is what rules are all about

No, the rules are about running a safe operation. I don't believe a blood alcohol level of .02 would have placed ANYONE in danger. The FAA allows commercial pilots to fly with up to .04.

.08 is DUI in most states now. I agree with stroked, he must have hoisted a bunch of drinks to still blow a .027 after sleeping a normal 6-8 hours. A normal person burns off a drink about every 2 hours. Who knows how much sleep he got. If he quit drinking at 4am... well...

Maybe if AJ wants to hoist a few, he might invest in a breathalyzer to make sure it doesn't happen again.

If he tests even two hours later, after eating something, he likely blows clean and moves on. It's one of those things that it's cool to have a zero tolerance policy, but, some discretion needs to be applied. Pull him out of line for that round and re-test before running again. Blows dirty, park that round.

So pilots can fly half-drunk... LOL oh boy!

I don't think 200 plus miles per hour is the speed limit in any state. Have you ever driven a car at 200 miles per hour?

I don't think 200 plus miles per hour is the speed limit in any state. Have you ever driven a car at 200 miles per hour?

A 747 takes off at 180MPH. Their pilots can fly with up to a .04.

And how many accidents do they cause??

I agree with you that a .027 is really a non issue. What's a hit of nyquil rate on the breathalyzer?

If he had 11 hours to take the test, then what's the difference. His base burn rate would have had the recorded amount gone in under 2 hours. Foolish on his part to not take advantage of the deadline time for testing, especially if you hoist a few.

Another part of stupidity in this... if he waits until the deadline to test, he can drive the car in qualifying, in violation of the "zero tolerance" policy. Essentially he can be still legally drunk, pilot the car, wait until later to test and pass. That in itself tells me the policy is nothing but a PR stunt for the nhra... we're tough on (insert issue).

like i said...if you were out drinking the night before and they pull your number....dont be the first one in line the next morning..

I agree with you that a .027 is really a non issue. What's a hit of nyquil rate on the breathalyzer?

If he had 11 hours to take the test, then what's the difference. His base burn rate would have had the recorded amount gone in under 2 hours. Foolish on his part to not take advantage of the deadline time for testing, especially if you hoist a few.

Another part of stupidity in this... if he waits until the deadline to test, he can drive the car in qualifying, in violation of the "zero tolerance" policy. Essentially he can be still legally drunk, pilot the car, wait until later to test and pass. That in itself tells me the policy is nothing but a PR stunt for the nhra... we're tough on (insert issue).

Agreed. He is a proffessional driver though and being a proffessional driver myself with a zero tolerance policy I feel he has an obligation to do the right thing and not drink the day before. Besides the way they check it is a joke. They should check each and every driver as they go to make the pass in the morning. By having a 3rd party check it has its problems too. A private entity there is a chance of corruption and favortism. Drivers get good money to do the right thing.

I was always under the assumption that eating food, taking mints, ect ect will not help hide your alcohol level.

That's right, EXCEPT, if you burp before you test you can get a positive.

Look at the level .027. You typically burn about a drink every 2 hours or about .02 burn rate per hour. If he waits 2 hours the alcohol would have been gone. Eating is just for the insurance that everything is settled.

My comment was in relation to the time factor and less about eating, normal daily activities.

I'm wondering if someone seen him drinking. Said some thing to the right or
wrong person. Makes you wonder? He is a very honest guy.
I just hope it wont happen again.

There are a lot of drivers that wouldn't pass the next day in MN the Zoo Kicks most of them.

-
Back