All cylinders filling with water

-
Really not even one pic . This thread is worthless . I want to see these gaskets . I'm thanking they are like the magic bullet ! Like to see the matting surfaces . I'm thanking you had the water hose in the carb and not the radiator .
Sorry to disapoint you about the photo`s. They were the farthest thing from my mind. And you win the prize on this worthless post!!! A week in Tiajuana!!!

It was a hose in the carb!!

I`ll take 1 in 1 Billion at this point

I understand you want to throw an answer to it as to what happened. Most guys here trying to help you would have never re assembled the engine without knowing for a fact what 100% caused this problem including myself.

Like stated by someone else, where are the pictures of the carnage. I am starting to think that this is a hoax and we are all getting "Punked". Where's Ashton?:wack:

I'm sure it was, and I sincerely hope it's fixed now.

Although photos and information helps us all out.

Me too hope it's all just a bad dream . And you wake up tomarow and its all fixed . I'm going threw some bad times with a 4.7 in my dakota . Dropped a valve seat . Put it together . Started it back up and now it has a bent valve on a outer cylinder bad joke on the hose part . But was hoping to see these gaskets .

I understand you want to throw an answer to it as to what happened. Most guys here trying to help you would have never re assembled the engine without knowing for a fact what 100% caused this problem including myself.

Like stated by someone else, where are the pictures of the carnage. I am starting to think that this is a hoax and we are all getting "Punked". Where's Ashton?:wack:
I appreciate all the help. Tomorrow I hope to have good news to report. I want nothing more than to be at MATS next weekend.

I have no time to be "Punking" anyone.

This thread is getting more & more ridiculous as it goes on!

"Maybe the pistons are lifting the heads off."
Really? I kinda think it wouldn't have run in the 1st place, not to mention the noise & physical damage it would have caused!

"Heater hose connected to the manifold vacuum port"
Really? Again, do you think it would have ran with all that water running into the intake?

SMH!!

attachment.php

Oh boy...

Good way to distort the deck.

ARP kind of knows why they recommend certain procedures. How's the stud going to come loose? The nut you are tightening is turning the same direction as driving the stud into the block.

Did you ever identify where the water intrusion originated from?

Is this the solid lifters on the hyd cam deal too?

Granted I didn't read all 9 pages of this monster thread (just skimmed a few pages)...but THIS (see bold print above) should have been a clue right off the bat!! I remember the other thread about your engine builder and some of his "out of the box" ideas. Did you ask him how he accomplished this task of filling all 8 cylinders with water? Did you tell him you wanted a Marine motor :mrgreen:.

Sorry for your loss, that has to be frustrating. My advice would be to get an engine building book, read it, and build it yourself.

Sorry - but can someone tell me how a water hose got on the carb? None of them are even close to the size of any nipple on a carb.

Sorry - but can someone tell me how a water hose got on the carb? None of them are even close to the size of any nipple on a carb.

you gotta use two hose clamps and wrap some electric tape around the barb fitting before you put it on.

you gotta use two hose clamps and wrap some electric tape around the barb fitting before you put it on.

Getting serious again, I have been following this thread from its beginning. If it were mine, I would be very concerned about the connecting rods and bearings with that much water in the cylinders. Water does not compress so something else has to. I have seen marine engines with connecting rods twisted and bearings crushed from water inversion through the exhaust system. This with water seeping into only one or two cylinders, I can only imagine the damage caused by water in all 8 cylinders.

I hate to be a harbinger of bad news but I think finding where the water is coming from is not going to be the end of this story.

Russ

OK gentlemen.........Here is todays outcome. I have now put everything back together. I THINK I now know how the water filled all the cylinders. Once everything was buttoned up today, I filled it with water and then pressurized the cooling system. #2 cylinder filled with water. From what I could see looking through the top of the manifold, it is below where the manifold and the head meet. I feel the reason I did not see water in the manifold before was it had all ran down into the cylinder intakes.

I know that there will be a few of you asking how I could not see the water in the manifold. Well I didn`t.

So it appears that the head is cracked in a water jacket somewhere above #2 cylinder. At this point I am going to remove the head and have a different machine shop look at it so I can get a second opinion. Please save your typing skills and don`t bash the first machinist.

Anyone have a bare J head (uncracked) for sale?

Still doesn't explain how all 8 got filled.

I have some Stock J heads $150/pr. Need a complete going through and 1 exhaust valve at a minimum.

You have a bore scope you can run down the intakes to look if it's coming from the port(s)? Maybe a HF quick rental... :)

Take a scribe and see if you can move any of the top row head stud washers.

This is not my best area I admitt but I am thinking there is a crack on one of the intake ports on one of the heads. When that valve is closed it could be sucking water across the intake resulting in water in all 8 cylinders.

Still doesn't explain how all 8 got filled.

I have some Stock J heads $150/pr. Need a complete going through and 1 exhaust valve at a minimum.

You have a bore scope you can run down the intakes to look if it's coming from the port(s)? Maybe a HF quick rental... :)

Take a scribe and see if you can move any of the top row head stud washers.

See my quote above, it is the only way that it could happen as far as I know. If that valve was closed when the engine was filled with water or shut down then it could have backflowed through the intake.

Do you know how odd it is to blow both head gaskets and break the fire ring on all 8 cylinders?? Like Guinness book of world record setting 1 in 1 billion chance of it ever happening.

You guys are pulling stuff out your asses reaching for an answer on what actually happened to your engines on assembly. Neither of you "Blew your Head Gaskets" I guaranty it.

I'm not pulling anything out my ***! I know what I had and what fixed the problem!

From what I could see looking through the top of the manifold, it is below where the manifold and the head meet. I feel the reason I did not see water in the manifold before was it had all ran down into the cylinder intakes.

Still doesn't explain how all 8 got filled.I

Actually, I think it does. If there's a leak in an intake port, it could spew up into the intake and distribute from there into additional cylinders

He said there was no water in the intake. How's it going to cross and fill up. You aren't going to get standing water in cylinders from mist.

Good luck with it.

It would seem unlikely that both banks would get water from one cracked head, the one side maybe but not both.

My money is on the studs/bolts going into water not being sealed with some kind of thread sealant allowed water to be sucked up around the threads and dispersed into the cylinders.

Path of least resistance. Just a hunch of course.

-
Back