all I have to say is when buying an old car dont trust anyone about its history

-
This is 1 of the reasons I don’t advertise my 75 360 Duster for sale. It is a numbers matching car with 41,000 original miles. I know for a fact that it the original mileage on it. This will be 1 car that will probably die a slow death as most ppl think that year is worth nothing. I have ppl wanting to buy it 3 or 4 times a year. They ask what will it take to buy this sweet car from u? I say make me an offer I can’t refuse. Doesn’t happen. When I had it appraised the guy said: too bad it’s a 75. I said why’s that? He said even though it’s all original and is rust free with good paint that it really isnt worth any more than a 100,000 mile car that needs rust repair and is not numbers matching. He also said that a guy with lots of bills to prove work was done will get a higher appraisal. WTF. I told him to get the **** outta here . Kim

This is 1 of the reasons I don’t advertise my 75 360 Duster for sale. It is a numbers matching car with 41,000 original miles. I know for a fact that it the original mileage on it. This will be 1 car that will probably die a slow death as most ppl think that year is worth nothing. I have ppl wanting to buy it 3 or 4 times a year. They ask what will it take to buy this sweet car from u? I say make me an offer I can’t refuse. Doesn’t happen. When I had it appraised the guy said: too bad it’s a 75. I said why’s that? He said even though it’s all original and is rust free with good paint that it really isnt worth any more than a 100,000 mile car that needs rust repair and is not numbers matching. He also said that a guy with lots of bills to prove work was done will get a higher appraisal. WTF. I told him to get the **** outta here . Kim

its a 75 man, no one wants it
think about, 41000 original miles?
thats less then a 1000 miles a year
see, no one ever wanted to drive that piece

stir.gif

It not a 70 or 71..... That's the life of a Duster. Same for the Camaros. 69's just generate more revenue. The truth to it is your car would be much more of a pleasure to drive and enjoy versus some freshly restored Early version. Even on a high end restorer's best day it's hard to beat how they came out of the factory.....

Keep it and enjoy it. One day someone may pop us and put a number in front of you that makes sense. Otherwise we are all just outsiders looking in lol.....

JW

well , still for sale....lowered price down to 22,900.....now it is only double what he paid me for it.....

You had a healthy number on it when I saw it for sale. Didn't know the number was that low. It would have been in my garage since it was pretty close to my first one. Oh well, it is what it is.

I wouldn't hesitate to bust their chops. It's just another shady person trying to pull the wool over someone's eyes....

JW

Lying about a story is one thing. Lying about the odometer is a whole other thing. That should be reported

This ^^^^^ Messin with a car's mileage is breaking the LAW. End of story. If you know about it and let it slide, that makes you complicit.

That's funny. I always thought the Valiant based cars got better lookin in the later years. They didn't have the pronounced beak the Dodges did......although the beak cars have grown on me some. I like the 73+ Plymouths. Lots of other people do too.

You had a healthy number on it when I saw it for sale. Didn't know the number was that low. It would have been in my garage since it was pretty close to my first one. Oh well, it is what it is.

I wouldn't hesitate to bust their chops. It's just another shady person trying to pull the wool over someone's eyes....

JW

Yes, 11K on ebay

well, I guess they sold it....car is gone... last price was 22K advertised....not sure what they ended up getting for it... and it only had 20K miles on it...yeah OK......hahaha...well see where it turns up next time for sale and hear the new story....cant wait!

After I sold the White Whale I it suddenly obtained a "recently rebuilt" transmission and I think engine as well

well, I guess they sold it....car is gone... last price was 22K advertised....not sure what they ended up getting for it... and it only had 20K miles on it...yeah OK......hahaha...well see where it turns up next time for sale and hear the new story....cant wait!

Or...maybe they saw this post and took the ad down. Its not showing up as sold like other cars on their site.

My brother sold a car on fleabag not getting the money upfront
Of course the guy reneged
He wound up on court tv got the car back and 3500
I searched for years for 70 Dart duster or demon
They all said absolutely no rust fortunAtely I actually went to look at them
One had a basketball sized chunk of bondo with enough to see corn cobs used as filler!!!!!
So I was hesitant to buy a car off eBay
So I had the owner send extensive pics which also showed it stripped
Thanh God it was actually true

Wow, all i have to say is buyer beware! I sold a car a year ago which I owned for 33 years....found it for sale online recently....mileage was rolled back 70K....added 18K over what i sold it for.....I was the 4th owner in this state....went a couple of states away........so for ***** and giggles I called the number and played the game........guy said local 1 owner trade....20K miles.....blah blah blah......I have no interest in getting the car back but goes to show you, BUYER BEWARE!
Some would call that "marketing" LOL! you know, the BS story that "sells" trhe car I am not saying its right. These cars are becoming a "rich mans" game though, they have "Classic car" lots with financing etc. Used to be a cash and carry thing. If I could get into how many $100 Mopars I bought in the 80s...

There were all kinds of stories about the famous racers and race teams that raced my car..... all unconfirmed. I paid what i thought the car was worth to me, not a penny for the story.
Otoh, i met a guy who told me he was a previous owner of my car. Told me it had had a 727 come apart, and i would find a patch in the trans tunnel. .....
He was right.

I have a slant car with actual 94000 miles but doubt if anyone cares!!!! ha
except me!
OK so it i a slant.
OK so it probably will go 395,000 (or at least the engine!)

Once I get the check and sign over the pink slip, I usually tell em the car has 100k on it but the back seat has about 250k. If you hear noises, it's just the spirit of my virginity that I lost back there crying out.

Enjoy!

They did pull the ad down and let it cool for a few years...I see it is back up for sale again and they want 7 thousand more dollars..lol
Screenshot_20240412-043700_Chrome.jpg

My 70 Dart came with a story and alot of parts. Was originally C7 Plum Crazy but painted silver in the early 80s cause "it was well known by the police in town..."

It also had alot of parts that came with it and some were race centric, lopey cam and blow proof bell housing etc. I had people who knew the car come up and say" I kno wthat car, that

car was badazz it pulls the front wheels off the ground..." who knows if its true...LOL! aside from some dents and dings the car wasnt beat too bad the front suspension was shot and the

guy who sold it to me told me "it never handled well..." :)

Usually, you don’t need any verbal history about a car to assess what it is, or what it’s not. Cars tell their own tales, and anybody with some knowledge of Mopars can quickly determine things like color, engine size, and possible options based on that info. There are clues all over cars that tell its tale. Also, things that have been changed will also lead you to more clues and facts about the car.

Case in point…..I went to look at this car, a friend of a neighbor. He had no clue about what the car really was, despite him and his brother owning it for the last 42 years. His “buddy”, who also happened to want to buy it from him, told him that he was an appraiser of cars, and put the value at $21k. I asked the owner if he had divulged any information from the buildsheet, which was clearly visible just by opening the trunk. Nope, the guy never even looked at it. It also has some telltale damage and replaced parts up front. The car is a 69, it has a 68 grille and passenger fender. It’s been painted this color for the last 20 years or more. I told him what the car really was, that it had been in a fender bender of sorts and what was changed, and that the quarters in the back had also been worked on. He sheepishly informed me that he in fact had hit the side of his garage when he missed the door putting it away, when he came home drunk about 25 years ago.

69 Spring Special car….A4 buffed silver, vinyl top, bucket seats, and a couple other options that were thrown into the spring special package. Original 383 car, and the motor may be original, and read the build sheet and fender tag to him for the options. Hasn’t been on the road in 15 years, I told him not to take less than $25k, and running and driving would bring it up to $30k-$35k. He wants me to buy it and use my convertible Valiant as partial trade. When the weather gets warmer, I’m driving the convertible down to his house and try to cement the deal!

Bottom line, I know what the car is from simple sleuthing, and general knowledge of Mopars. Chargers are not my favorite Mopar, but I know enough to be informed.

CBE2014F-E820-4414-97B8-6CB51B263439.jpeg

B6B3FEC3-4F82-42A8-AAE5-BEA385FC05C5.jpeg

18DBE2C0-B85F-4920-86B5-11DCE1F5F045.jpeg

F016AF74-3B9A-478F-B852-6C3D42B3E11D.jpeg

7E54766B-46D8-4A56-92B9-6A8906F523A2.jpeg

8C03DDD2-7CAA-4C96-951B-731B92355897.jpeg

2001150B-BFF7-4C61-99E6-395DCB3FC29D.jpeg

CC4A716E-A1F6-42B4-9961-1BFAB1C67DD1.jpeg

I know firsthand my wagon was purchased new by my Grandparents ordered from overseas where my grandfather worked picked up in January 1963 and they owned it until 1983 when I flat towed it to Texas for my aunt to drive after her car was totaled in an accident. She drove it 1 week and said it wasn't for her. So, I offered to buy it and she said ask your grandfather how much he wants for it. He said it's yours. So, I have owned it since then. I don't believe my aunt ever change the title over so technically I am the 2nd owner.

This was an actual EBAY encounter. Cream 1966 Barracuda with the half vinyl roof. Photos of the car were excellent but the trees in the background did not match where the seller lived. Eventually had the guy send me a copy of his driver's license as he wanted an electronic bank transfer. The guy's name was really bizarre so I googled it. It came back as some famous European flute player. I turned the guy into EBAY and local law enforcement in the city and state where the bank transfer was to be wired. Law enforcement wanted nothing to do with catching this guy. Ebay took the ad down and he posted a somewhat famous red formula s convertible Barracuda under the same woman's account that he used for the Barracuda and Ebay did not catch it. Long story short he never owned the cars and used known photos to advertise. I realize law enforcement may be busy but staking out a bank for a guy to pick up a transfer would be a pretty simple case to solve and get rid of scammers one by one.

I know that my 76 Pontiac Ventura is an original low mileage car, verified through documentation when I bought it in 2011, plus the overall condition of it was such that it was clear that it had 27k miles, still had the original tires on it! It doesn't get driven much, currently there is around 41k miles on the clock. I have tried to sell it a couple of times but it seems like nobody wants a Ventura, if it were a Nova, it would have been sold long ago.
Now I am starting to think that I should just do what I want to with it and forget the "originality" since it doesn't seem to matter much anyway. Hey, it's never been in a crash, and has absolutely no rust on it, so what better way to start than skipping the body and paint expense?
I did have it painted about 7 years ago and it still looks great.

-
Back