alternator wiring

-

mcat

Reaction score
OK fellas, I'm getting close...
doing some wiring,
i am using an new style alternator from an 06 hemi, how do i wire it to my 1968 barracuda?
i do not have a stock wiring harness, I will be using a mega squirt,

First off, you CANNOT use your factory ammeter with a new style alternator. The newer alternators put out twice the current as the factory 1960s alternators did. The bulkhead connector and the meter itself simply cannot carry the current. The simplest thing to do is to modify the factory gauge into a volt meter.

The 06 Alternator was regulated by the factory computer, and is NOT internally regulated. Thus, you simply need to use a 60s-70s style external regulator as illustrated in the attached diagram.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Attachments

• chrysler_external_voltage_regulator_wiring.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,597
Thanks 67Dart273,

I'd seen that article before but couldn't remember where.

Good Stuff.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

no alternator will put out more voltage then what is called for regardless its capabilities.
While all the current inside the cabin does go through the ALT' gauge, that's all that goes through it.
If you intend to add equipment that will require a higher output alternator... fine. That equipment would be supplied through relays ( very similar to how your starter is wired ). The ALT' gauge and those wires are not effected.
There are causes for the meltdown shown at the Madelectic webpages and more practical reasons to change to a volt gauge.

Wired mine up that way for the regulator and it has been working fine for three years or so now. I ended up just running an 8 guage wire directly from the alternator to the battery and kept the stock wiring as well. This effectively makes the ammeter useless, but since several components inside the cabin pull from this source, I decided to just keep it. I have a separate voltmeter on a small 3 gauge cluster under the dash to keep tabs on the charging system.

no alternator will put out more voltage then what is called for regardless its capabilities.
While all the current inside the cabin does go through the ALT' gauge, that's all that goes through it.
If you intend to add equipment that will require a higher output alternator... fine. That equipment would be supplied through relays ( very similar to how your starter is wired ). The ALT' gauge and those wires are not effected.
There are causes for the meltdown shown at the Madelectic webpages and more practical reasons to change to a volt gauge.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) but you might be confusing voltage with amperage. You are correct that most automotive alternators will only put out 12-16 volts of electricity, but the amperage that an alternator can produce can vary widely with engine speed. Thus, a modern alternator can easily put out 140 Amps of current, while a 60s era alternator frequently only put out 60 Amps or less current. Both alternators would be putting out the SAME 14 volts, but at vastly different currents.

You are also correct that you should use relays for high current applications. You might be wondering why someone would want or need a high output alternator on a car with so few electric accessories. Well, the motor he's putting in the car (A late model Hemi) naturally comes with a late model high output alternator, so it is easier to modify the electrical system, than it is to mount a 60s style alternator on a 21st century motor.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I see now that this post is in hemi swap forum.
I understand the need for all the 30 amp or higher circuits in the late model vehicles these engine belonged to. Very few of those circuits have anything to do with the engine itself. Just ignore me.... Good luck to all.

-
Back