aluminum vs steel flywheel for stroker

-
Decades. You seem to think I don't have the proper credentials. You'd be shitting yourself.

You see, I've spent most of my life watching people screw **** up, and then continue to screw that same **** up?

Want a perfect example? Setting power valve opening from idle vacuum. It's never been right, it will never be right, and yet every week or so that same **** comes up again. And the defenders of ignorance fight to the death because some jackass put it in a book.

Seriously, there is NO reason, none...to ever use a heavy flywheel. There just isn't. Regardless of all the bullshit posted in this thread. It's a parts breaker. That's all it is. By the early 1980's the stick cars were switching to automatics by the thousand. All because they wouldn't buy a clutch worth a ****, and wouldn't ditch the bullshit heavy flywheel. They didn't learn.

For the record, the only race cars I've owned and driven have been sticks. I don't race with an automatic. It's boring. Any twit can do it.

So there's my experience. At the track. In the shop. And dealing with stupid bastards who post **** their kids do, that they can't, and post the hero **** they were doing in 1980.

So maybe you should just bow out of this thread. You are in the deep end of the pool.

No. I never said that, Tim. You know better. I said what I said and that's what I meant. And that's all I meant. Now you're getting defensive. DOn't you see how that further weakens your argument? And I can wade in or dive to the bottom. I'm ok at either end.

No. I never said that, Tim. You know better. I said what I said and that's what I meant. And that's all I meant. Now you're getting defensive. DOn't you see how that further weakens your argument? And I can wade in or dive to the bottom. I'm ok at either end.

What do you want me to do? Post some pictures? I can't. I've never had a camera fetish. Wasn't my thing. I only have a few pictures from 1985ish, right before my best friend died in an industrial accident.

I wasn't into pictures before that. After that, even less so. Never was into the video thing either. I did have about 3 hours of video from 1990 or so. It's hard to find someone who knows how to run a camera so you can see WTF is going on. And that video went bye-bye when some lowlife broke into my car and stole it. And 3 bowling balls. None of which I ever got back.

After that, trying to teach a girlfriend or a buddy how to use a camera became more work that it was worth.

Funny thing is, I just took a call from a guy who isn't far from here (3 hours away) and he wants me to make a reloading video. I'm like WTF is going on today? I told him to shag his *** over here and I'll teach him. I'm not making a video. If I was going to do a video, I'd make a video on how to degree a cam.

So I don't have a camera fetish. At one time, I had some port work on the web. Where that went I have no idea. Also, there is a video of a 408 I did in 2000 that went 545 HP with a real small hydraulic roller in it. What ever happened to that I have no idea.

Hey YR, didn't mean to to turn this into a big argument, You and I and a few others on this forum seam to be the only ones that have move on from the 60's and 70's antiquated clutch technology of 3500# pressure plates and rage disc's and of coarse the 1 ton flywheel. I like to clear up a few things , I bought my first car in 1969( 61 2dr. bubble top Impala) I spent 3 years building it. In 72 at 18(when my father saw what I was doing he wouldn't sign for a drivers license) I put it on the road 302 small block,12.5 to 1 comp. max ported LT1 heads(that was a joke I think they flowed 225 230 and you could almost see the water through the port walls) a big duration cam, tunnel ram and 2 600 holleys, m21 wide ratio, heavy fw and stiff clutch 4.56 gears. Ho and Candy blue and white lace from body line down paint job. This was my only car for work, play, whatever, daily driver, HATED THAT CAR that thing broke faster than glass spent many of sleepless night fixing it so I could get to work in the morning. In 73 I bought a 69 Coronet R/T 440 auto.(never looked at another Chevy again) been a mopar guy ever since. Now let me get to my current car, 66 Dart that is NOT a lightweight race car, the car weight in at around 3400# depending how full the tank is, WITHOUT me in it( i am 195 to 200 dependent on how full the tank is). I have driven this car over 315 miles in 5 hours holding it at 3200 to 3300 rpm with a 4.10 dana 60 and 255 60 15 and got 13.5 mile to the gal. This car is NOT tubbed and has a full GT interior and 5 point roll bar. 3 inch exhaust with x pipe and fenderwell headers all the way to the rear bumper. Yes it is a 416 with 10.4 comp. and a cast crank with a good set of heads and a solid roller cam, Jerico 4 spd and aluminum fw. soft-loc clutch and I shift it at 6400 and go through the traps at 6700, rev limiter is set at 6800. When it goes to the track all I do is take off the 255 60( widest tire without rubbing)off and put on the 9/26/15 Hoosier slicks, just the shocks for the track, and put the kug belt for the electric motor to run the water pump, I don't even uncork the exhaust. The best the car has run so far is 10.709 @ 126 with a 1.48 60', I guess that makes it a dog. But I put this engine together in the spring of 2005 and pulled the heads in 2008 and took them to Ryan@ Shady Dell the engine has not been apart since other than to check the valve lash every spring and check the timing. To me this is a STREET CAR, to some this is a lightweight race car, OH WELL! Sorry for the long rant but sometime people get under your skin even if they don't mean too.

What do you want me to do? Post some pictures? I can't. I've never had a camera fetish. Wasn't my thing. I only have a few pictures from 1985ish, right before my best friend died in an industrial accident.

I wasn't into pictures before that. After that, even less so. Never was into the video thing either. I did have about 3 hours of video from 1990 or so. It's hard to find someone who knows how to run a camera so you can see WTF is going on. And that video went bye-bye when some lowlife broke into my car and stole it. And 3 bowling balls. None of which I ever got back.

After that, trying to teach a girlfriend or a buddy how to use a camera became more work that it was worth.

Funny thing is, I just took a call from a guy who isn't far from here (3 hours away) and he wants me to make a reloading video. I'm like WTF is going on today? I told him to shag his *** over here and I'll teach him. I'm not making a video. If I was going to do a video, I'd make a video on how to degree a cam.

So I don't have a camera fetish. At one time, I had some port work on the web. Where that went I have no idea. Also, there is a video of a 408 I did in 2000 that went 545 HP with a real small hydraulic roller in it. What ever happened to that I have no idea.

I never have been big on the camera either, Tim. Just never was my thing. So I guess if we're going on picture evidence, I'm as inexperienced as you. I was merely pointing out that Steve has posted a lifetime of pictures of projects he has worked on and owned through the years. That cannot be denied. Why caint we just say people do things different ways and just leave it there? I have respect for both of you and I know others do too. There's no need to get nasty on either side. Life's too short for that. Any of us could wake up dead tomorrow.

-
Back