Am I alone in this world ? Lol !

-
I don't like the auto shut off. My work car does it. What affect does all the start ups have on wear and tear of the starter?

What I've read on the subject is they are build stronger to take into account the extra duty cycle but I've never had to replace one so I can't substantiate that claim. If so it probably translates to them being more costly when needing replaced.

I've been around a long time and I love the old stuff also, but I don't necessarily believe that the "pollution factor" is as serious or as critical as it is being opined about by the "tree huggers." More can be done by the refiners to brew far cleaner burning fuel. A properly tuned engine is also the key to cleaner runs. I'm a pilot and I have been so since 1965. The only "physical" impact on the environment I have observed over the years, is the haze is not as pronounced as it was in the 70s-80s and 90s. The land scape is greener. So, I know we are doing something better, however, here is the "rude truth." We as a nation can make all of the changes being demanded by the huggers, but if you think for one moment, countries like China, India, and ALL of the third world countries are going to give up the "ICE" because the huggers demand they do...It ain't gonna happen.
I believe the environment is a smaller fraction of the bigger story of what is actually going on. I believe the bigger story is the western countries are trying to curb the amount of fossil fuel dependency from their communist counter parts. We rely too heavily on our enemies in this current day global environment. Russia, China, North Korea and Iran problems didn’t start yesterday. It’s all coming to a head. The world is quickly changing. These countries are tired of us. We are at a crossroad of who will rule the new world from a energy and technology supremacy standpoint. China is in overdrive. We are using the environment as an excuse to curb our dependency from places like them and Russia. But, I also believe the environment is another factor. It’s just smaller in comparison from a governmental economy outlook. It’s no different than a military arms race. With what is going on now. I just hope combustion engines are affordable until the end of my days. Lol !

If you don’t buy one, and your friends and neighbor don’t buy one, then they won’t sell and will have a lot full of new unsold junk, and will quit making them.

VW. (largest automaker in the world)
Tesla
Toyota

all say not enough infrastructure to change them all.
How about Ca telling people to refrain from charging cars when it’s so,hot out. LOL you can’t make the **** up.

California Backlash over Order Not to Charge Electric Vehicles During Heatwave

and these batteries are not clean, we are being duped by the tree huggers.

So just don’t buy one, and tell your friends not to do it either. I’m not driving one of those POS. I want to fill the tank and go on my time, not wait for a charge. Where I live it’s cold and snow in winter, this kills the range and increases charging times.
Who has 10K to replace the battery when it goes bad.
Plus I can repair my own car in my own garage.

This mandatory electric car BS is not a done deal by any means.

don’t drink the “kool laid”

Just do what we say. Buy a electric car to save all of us. JUST DON'T PLUG IT IN !!
Gotta love it ..

If something is better, there would be no need for the government to mandate it and to ban the competition.
If you can walk out of the DMV and think the govt needs to be involved in anything else you’re a special kind of stupid.

If you don’t buy one, and your friends and neighbor don’t buy one, then they won’t sell and will have a lot full of new unsold junk, and will quit making them.

VW. (largest automaker in the world)
Tesla
Toyota

all say not enough infrastructure to change them all.
How about Ca telling people to refrain from charging cars when it’s so,hot out. LOL you can’t make the **** up.

California Backlash over Order Not to Charge Electric Vehicles During Heatwave

So just don’t buy one, and tell your friends not to do it either. I’m not driving one of those POS. I want to fill the tank and go on my time, not wait for a charge. Where I live it’s cold and snow in winter, this kills the range and increases charging times.
Plus I can repair my own car in my own garage.

This mandatory electric car BS is not a done deal by any means.

don’t drink the “kool laid”
That isn’t reality. The reality is. When gasoline is so expensive and the electric cars become more affordable and they will. All people will buy them. People do what’s in their best interest only. Everyone knows that a self check out takes jobs away from people. Observe what choices people make when there’s a choice to pick from a self checkout or a check out operated by a person. People always claim
to support one thing and their actions prove otherwise. People are hypocrites. They will buy the electric cars when they see no other choice or when they are more affordable. One, if not both of those options will most certainly happen. You can try to convince as many people as you like. They will choose the best option for them. Regardless

..don't get me started on that subject.
Me too. LOL. If you lived closer, we could discuss over a cold one.
Tree huggers have been responsible for a LOT of the **** we put up with.
I did some research a while back. $10K is near the bottom of the price range.

Me too. LOL. If you lived closer, we could discuss over a cold one.

Tree huggers have been responsible for a LOT of the **** we put up with.

I did some research a while back. $10K is near the bottom of the price range.
For sure...beer! Yep I worked my entire career for a large utility only to watch it go totally woke in recent years. The story of wind turbine blades filling up huge landfills is a total disaster. These idiots push this crap on the rest of us but they don't bother to look into the devastation their actions create.

That isn’t reality. The reality is. When gasoline is so expensive and the electric cars become more affordable and they will. All people will buy them. People do what’s in their best interest only. Everyone knows that a self check out takes jobs away from people. Observe what choices people make when there’s a choice to pick from a self checkout or a check out operated by a person. People always claim
to support one thing and their actions prove otherwise. People are hypocrites. They will buy the electric cars when they see no other choice or when they are more affordable. One, if not both of those options will most certainly happen. You can try to convince as many people as you like. They will choose the best option for them. Regardless
If I was a red-X kindof guy, I would throw out my very first one on this post.
But because I'm not, I'll just say
I disagree.

IMO,
the price of gas is is being artificially regulated to FORCE the EV indoctrination program. The problem is that there is too much government "oversight".
THEY decide what
THEY think We the Peons should or should not get or do, and then
THEY MAKE it happen.
that is Not government;
that is dictatorship.

I disagree.

IMO,
the price of gas is is being artificially regulated to FORCE the EV indoctrination program. The problem is that there is too much government "oversight".
THEY decide what
THEY MAKE it happen.
that is Not government;
that is dictatorship.
I agree with you 100
I disagree.

IMO,
THEY decide what
THEY MAKE it happen.
that is Not government;
that is dictatorship.
I agree with you 100%. People with elite money control and dictate this world. In other senses, governments. Do you think everyone in Russia supports what’s going on in Ukraine for example ? Hell no. They don’t have a choice. The ones that do. Are controlled by the governments through manipulation and propaganda. It works the same all around the world. China, U.S, etc etc.
Dictatorships are all around the world. The same tricks are used here. Money and politics controls all of us. People have less control over these things than they might think.

That where that that “order“ of all electric by this date comes from

mandate it into effect.

Just don’t buy one.

and throw the red X, I just did! screw that BS post. it pissed me off when I read it and it still does.

I love old cars too, and have had my '68 FB FS for 54 years (June 1969 purchase date). But I also produce renewable fuels from waste. So I study all the issues involving renwable fuels and electric vehicles. There simply aren't enough resources available to power vehciles, especially trucks, with renewable energy. Just converting to EV's will consume 3X the power we currently produce, and that is a conservative estimate. E-Trucks will up that to 10X as they are used 80% of the time, not 8% or less for passenger cars. And an E-Truck will cost $300K MORE than a conventional truck and you will need 3 of them to make up for the lost payload and recharging time. That dog won't hunt!
But current ICE vehicles, cars and trucks, are so clean that they actually remove pollutants from the air in the LA basin as the exhaust is cleaner than the ambient air injested by the engine. So they don't need to be any cleaner. But the EPA mandates that by 2027, all vehicles will need to meet CO2 and emissions levels that preclude ICE's effectively mandating EV's by then. This is an EPA overreach that will destroy jobs so write your representatives expressing your concerns. The DEEP STATE, especially in the DOE, EPA, USDA, and DOT will try to control our lives through unmandated regulations. Just look at the dishwasher regulations just released. New DW's would clean the dishes, but will save power and water, saving you $1/day but having to wash the dishes twice to get the job done.

You might feel comfortable with the engine in my 2002 Chrysler minivan, a 3.8L V-6. Pushrods and stamped-steel shaft-mounted rocker arms which look just like the ones in my 1965 Chrysler 383. Roller lifters, which people spend $$$ to upgrade in a classic V-8. The MPFI hasn't given any issues other than when the injector harness had degraded wires where some factory fool ran it against the exhaust cross-over pipe (common problem). The injectors were still fine and balanced when recently tested at 285K miles. Did have to change the camshaft sensor, but flagged by a code. Me-thinks a carburetor would have given more issues. They even used those engines in the Jeeps. But the later OHC V-6 were more problematic, perhaps thanks to M-B input.

The biggest drawbacks to me with new cars is the body styling and materials. Reviewers glow about the higher quality plastic in pricey cars. The headlamps are plastic, requiring replacing or polishing every 6 years in sunny California. Manufacturers are currently confused whether to stay with the boxy "cross-over" bodies (i.e. minivan w/o sliding door) or return to round bodies. Past time for that 20 year cycle of round-square-round change to shame people into buying a new car. After bothering eyes with funky colors ~2015 (Swamp Green, Cow-poo brown), they decided everybody wants a grey car. Lexus boxed themselves in a corner with their notable giant black grills, so now try to continue that in battery cars. Indeed, everyone but Tesla is afraid to drop the front grill look so design fakey grills. On the flipside, some new gas car designs try to hide the rear exhaust to appear like a fad battery-car.

Re start-stop systems, perhaps you haven't sat at a 5 min stoplight at a mega-intersection in a major city suburb (ex Windy Hill at Hwy 41 outside Atlanta). I think all those engines have a giant starter-generator, aka "mild hybrid", so little worry with starter motor wear. Starting a cold engine causes wear, but little wear from restarting a warm engine. You can disable the start-stop via button, but why not use a feature you paid for?

I agree with 67Dart273 that hybrids make the most sense. The base Prius gets 58 mpg highway. A plug-in hybrid lets you drive ~30 miles on only electricity, which is good if you have cheap night rates (not San Diego). Battery-car owners claim no range-anxiety, yet Tesla owners often post their bright idea to add an onboard generator, which would make it a ***. Don't buy a battery-car (or plug-in) unless you have home charging, which isn't for most renters. Tesla Supercharging costs make fueling cost 50% more than a 40 mpg gas car most places in U.S. (up to 65 c/kWh at SoCal SC's). Some say they will recharge from home solar panels, then I ask where their Tesla will be parked when the sun is shining. They then jump to "home battery pack". That will cost 33 c/kWh to extract the "free" stored solar energy ($1000/kWh capacity installed, with 3000 cycle life). I'm actually better for the planet when I drive my 1985 M-B 300D since I fill-up with renewable diesel (only in CA) for almost no net-CO2 emissions. Engine runs smoother (higher cetane), no exhaust smell, and currently cheaper than regular gas.

Re Climate Change, I did some research and on sites like UN publications (not crazy ranters). Temperature increase has been mostly in the Arctic (4x global average) and N. Europe. The equator and Southern Hemisphere have had almost no rise and Antarctica actually cooled. Greenhouse gases (CO2, methane) would cause warming everywhere. The initial climate models were off by 4x in predicting warming, and didn't explain the North-South difference. So, they added stuff like "Polar Vortex" and "El Nino, La Nina" effects until the models fit past data, then crow "models work". They continue doing so, especially via continual ENSO changes. Still doesn't work since the last 3 years levelled off in average annual global temperature (Al Gore must be mad). I don't know why CA even cares since almost no increase, and when they factor in the long and cold last Winter, CA average may even drop. Glaciers are supposedly melting, like when the Iceman was exposed on a ridge between Italy and Austria. But the ice must have been that low when he fell with arrows-in-back 5000 years ago. More likely explained by precipitation changes than temperatures. Recall the Ozone Hole which outlawed Freon? The UN was crowing "fixed it" in 2019, but the last 3 years have been the largest hole ever. It only occurs in the Antarctic Winter, so who cares about increased uV on those dark day. The UN explains it by rolling into Climate Change via this Polar Vortex (cooler Stratospheric to form more ice crystals). Climate Change now explains both droughts and floods in CA, plus forest fires. Next they will blame earthquakes and even the sun rising and setting on it. We need smarter news reporters, who can read and process information, not just parrot CA Gov. Gabbing Nuisance.

Last edited:
This is all too much for me I just want to crawl under a rock

Little rant here. Little about myself and vehicles. I love good condition, old vehicles. Of all makes and models. Especially, Mopar stuff. If it’s a carbureted piece of machinery. It’s up my alley. Everything about them. The nostalgia, cost, easy maintenance, etc. I could go on and on.
I have a few very nice, old vehicles. As much as I like the old stuff. I distance myself from these newer vehicles. In all honesty, without bragging. I could easily afford to buy any new car I would choose. I just can’t relate to these newer cars on any level. I hate everything about them. Lol !

I’m not very old, while I’m not very young. I’m not too stubborn and I do see the good in modern technology. Cars included. Most importantly, i’m very honest in accepting to the fact that regardless of what we all want or how we feel. The combustion engine’s days are down to a few. It’s just a harsh reality that we can’t escape. Politics won’t change a thing. Regardless, who we support or who we don’t. Those times are here and they aren’t going away. But, you know what confirms my feelings ? Every time I pull up to a two lane traffic light. Hearing all of these modern cars shutting off and restarting at a light. That has got to be the dumbest damn thing ever. It is ridiculously, dumb. I understand the reason for it. Engines, pollute more at idle, etc. I’m all about doing things that support a better environment for all of us. But, this car shutting off thing. Is incredibly stupid. Am I alone in this world ? Lol !
Despite what the wokie tokies and MSM profess, ICE will be around for the foreseeable future. They may be hybrid and may be fueled with CNG. Clownyfornicacia is reaping the crop they seeded with ttheir stoopid and illconceived electric pogrom; brown outs and requests not to charge at certain times. Also parking lots banning EVs or requiring a couple of parking spaces room around them for when they catch fire. To produce enough solar and wind power there will be no land for growing crops. And those sources only produce when the sun shines or the wind blows at the proper velocity. Too little and they do not produce and to much the brake has to be applied to stop the turbine to prevent overspeed damage.
There is a handfull of very wealthy wokie tokies pushing this that I expect look to make a fortune out of this.
Look at Al Gore and his climate rant speeches. Flies back and forth around the world talking how we little folk need to change our lives while he jets around contributing in one flight more than most of us contribute in a year. And how many $1M homes does he own, heat or air condition? Lots of double standard road apples being tossed around.

You might feel comfortable with the engine in my 2002 Chrysler minivan, a 3.8L V-6. Pushrods and stamped-steel shaft-mounted rocker arms which look just like the ones in my 1965 Chrysler 383. Roller lifters, which people spend $$$ to upgrade in a classic V-8. The MPFI hasn't given any issues other than when the injector harness had degraded wires where some factory fool ran it against the exhaust cross-over pipe (common problem). The injectors were still fine and balanced when recently tested at 285K miles. Did have to change the camshaft sensor, but flagged by a code. Me-thinks a carburetor would have given more issues. They even used those engines in the Jeeps. But the later OHC V-6 were more problematic, perhaps thanks to M-B input.

The biggest drawbacks to me with new cars is the body styling and materials. Reviewers glow about the higher quality plastic in pricey cars. The headlamps are plastic, requiring replacing or polishing every 6 years in sunny California. Manufacturers are currently confused whether to stay with the boxy "cross-over" bodies (i.e. minivan w/o sliding door) or return to round bodies. Past time for that 20 year cycle of round-square-round change to shame people into buying a new car. After bothering eyes with funky colors ~2015 (Swamp Green, Cow-poo brown), they decided everybody wants a grey car. Lexus boxed themselves in a corner with their notable giant black grills, so now try to continue that in battery cars. Indeed, everyone but Tesla is afraid to drop the front grill look so design fakey grills. On the flipside, some new gas car designs try to hide the rear exhaust to appear like a fad battery-car.

Re start-stop systems, perhaps you haven't sat at a 5 min stoplight at a mega-intersection in a major city suburb (ex Windy Hill at Hwy 41 outside Atlanta). I think all those engines have a giant starter-generator, aka "mild hybrid", so little worry with starter motor wear. Starting a cold engine causes wear, but little wear from restarting a warm engine. You can disable the start-stop via button, but why not use a feature you paid for?

I agree with 67Dart273 that hybrids make the most sense. The base Prius gets 58 mpg highway. A plug-in hybrid lets you drive ~30 miles on only electricity, which is good if you have cheap night rates (not San Diego). Battery-car owners claim no range-anxiety, yet Tesla owners often post their bright idea to add an onboard generator, which would make it a ***. Don't buy a battery-car (or plug-in) unless you have home charging, which isn't for most renters. Tesla Supercharging costs make fueling cost 50% more than a 40 mpg gas car most places in U.S. (up to 65 c/kWh at SoCal SC's). Some say they will recharge from home solar panels, then I ask where their Tesla will be parked when the sun is shining. They then jump to "home battery pack". That will cost 33 c/kWh to extract the "free" stored solar energy ($1000/kWh capacity installed, with 3000 cycle life). I'm actually better for the planet when I drive my 1985 M-B 300D since I fill-up with renewable diesel (only in CA) for almost no net-CO2 emissions. Engine runs smoother (higher cetane), no exhaust smell, and currently cheaper than regular gas.

Re Climate Change, I did some research and on sites like UN publications (not crazy ranters). Temperature increase has been mostly in the Arctic (4x global average) and N. Europe. The equator and Southern Hemisphere have had almost no rise and Antarctica actually cooled. Greenhouse gases (CO2, methane) would cause warming everywhere. The initial climate models were off by 4x in predicting warming, and didn't explain the North-South difference. So, they added stuff like "Polar Vortex" and "El Nino, La Nina" effects until the models fit past data, then crow "models work". They continue doing so, especially via continual ENSO changes. Still doesn't work since the last 3 years levelled off in average annual global temperature (Al Gore must be mad). I don't know why CA even cares since almost no increase, and when they factor in the long and cold last Winter, CA average may even drop. Glaciers are supposedly melting, like when the Iceman was exposed on a ridge between Italy and Austria. But the ice must have been that low when he fell with arrows-in-back 5000 years ago. More likely explained by precipitation changes than temperatures. Recall the Ozone Hole which outlawed Freon? The UN was crowing "fixed it" in 2019, but the last 3 years have been the largest hole ever. It only occurs in the Antarctic Winter, so who cares about increased uV on those dark day. The UN explains it by rolling into Climate Change via this Polar Vortex (cooler Stratospheric to form more ice crystals). Climate Change now explains both droughts and floods in CA, plus forest fires. Next they will blame earthquakes and even the sun rising and setting on it. We need smarter news reporters, who can read and process information, not just parrot CA Gov. Gabbing Nuisance.

Regarding climate change, most statistics have been compared to 1940's or 1950's data. Global warming has been an ongoing progression since the end of the iceage about 10,000 to 12,000 years ago. The Grand Canyon took millions of years to erode? The sedimentary layers were deposited over 100's of million years? How does sedementary materials change color in obvious strata over these millions of years.
A good education for those flat belly experts is to look at Mt. Saint Helens and sedementary deposits from its eruption and the consequent erosion that has taken place there. This over a span of 30 to 40 years.

-
Back